LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Differential Bushing Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 01:17 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Differential Bushing Change

I'm trying to muster the courage to change the rear differential bushings in my 99LS. I've already got parts, but I mistakenly assumed it was a relatively easy swap.

It seems like I need to drop the diff to do this. Are there any alternatives? Can I use a bearing puller or possibly hacksaw the bushing out, or do I need to take the damn rear subframe to a mechanic.

BTW: I'm pissed at Toyota for another stupid non-servicable design. It's clear to me at this point their engineers don't work on cars.

Anyone have pictures that might help?

Thanks in advance!
MCP
Old 01-08-13, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

first off, toyota isn't at fault here, they made it a serviceable design, that's how you can walk into a lexus dealer and buy the mounting cushions/bushing.

Obviously though, you'll be needing to pull the diff off the car to have proper access to be able to swap them out. Remember, the bushings you're trying to replace aren't in the diff, they're pressed into the rear crossmember. (unless you're trying to replace the thin rubber cushions, in which case the diff still needs to come out, or at least be dropped.

The FSM calls for a couple SSTs to press the bushings out and press the new ones in (again, in a certain orientation). There's a whole page on it in the FSM.
Old 01-09-13, 06:11 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

quote "BTW: I'm pissed at Toyota for another stupid non-servicable design. It's clear to me at this point their engineers don't work on cars. Anyone have pictures that might help?"

I hate to shock your world, but these cars were not built for the casual DIY guy, but were designed for the professional mechanic. and a professional will have the necessary tools/facilities to do the job..... as a retired pro, I enjoy the challenge of finding "other" ways to remedy the problems we find, without bad-mouthing the builder.. Oh, and you are probably right, their engineers dont work on cars. Read the book and go from there.
Good luck, sometimes a change of attitude helps our thought pattern...
Cheers
Old 01-09-13, 09:51 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billy's right. gettin mad isnt gonna help ya get it fixed. Just remember any proceedure is made up of steps. Just take your time, one step at a time. You'll have it done in no time.
Be safe.