LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help on my 94 LS400 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 04:11 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help on my 94 LS400 purchase

How's it going everyone!

I am about to purchase a local 224,000 mile 94 LS400, off white/silver 2 tone (color changes pending on sunlight) with tan interior for $2,900. First off, the car is amazingly clean, well maintained and has had the same owner since 1997. Car looks 5 years old at the most, all electronics work and the display (speedometer panel) has been replaced.

Motor turns over with ease however it has a quiet tick to it during idle. As soon as you start driving you can't hear it. Could this just be ticking valves or something a bit more serious? The owner told me he's been using regular 87 octane the past 6 years so maybe that has something to do with it. Other than the tick and front right leaking strut, this car has no issues. Few questions about the early 1uz V8.

1. What components which need to be replaced at intervals (other than the waterpump and timing belt change every 100k miles)?

2. Any common issues with the early model 400's?

3. Should I continue to use 87 octane since the computer has adjusted to the fuel or should I ween the car back to 93 octane? Any risk to doing this?

Honestly for the price and condition of this 400, I don't think I can go wrong with purchasing this car and using it as my daily driver. This will be my first Lexus, previously owned a 94 Land Cruiser. Thanks yall
Old 12-22-12, 05:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome and congrats! (almost)

I would suggest you search the forums and look at the FAQ sections at the top. This way topics are not repeated over and over.

The ticking sound may be the injectors. Valve noise is usually more pronounced and would become more rapid with higher RPM. Also, it would not go away as you drive. Yes, it would be wise to go back to 93. The computer retards the timing via knock sensors based on knock. The ECM never gets "used" to a certain type of fuel. It is constantly monitoring for knock. The octane debate has been discussed to death but the car was designed to run on premium and you will get the better MPG on 93. Just the mileage increase alone is worth using the recommended fuel.

Just to give you a quick start look at all your fluids, check gaskets and bushes. Power steering fluid leaking onto the alternator is a pretty common problem on earlier years and degrading capacitors in the ECM is a problem but not expensive to fix. Since the ECM is fine I would leave it for now. Otherwise, just go over the car as normal and if she is running great then have at it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-22-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 05:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you don't need to wean the car to 93, just start using it immediately, it's dying for it, use it full strength immediately, and don't go back to lesser octane!

you might want to go to Wal-mart and buy a few bottles of Techron and run them through there as well at about double the recommended rate!

I would also replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor with the real Toyota one, as well as the distributor caps, rotors, plugs, and plug wires and also clean the throttle body butterfly.

a set of real Nippon Denso pre-cat O2 sensors wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-22-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 05:54 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Welcome and congrats! (almost)

I would suggest you search the forums and look at the FAQ sections at the top. This way topics are not repeated over and over.

The ticking sound may be the injectors. Valve noise is usually more pronounced and would become more rapid with higher RPM. Also, it would not go away as you drive. Yes, it would be wise to go back to 93. The computer retards the timing via knock sensors based on knock. The ECM never gets "used" to a certain type of fuel. It is constantly monitoring for knock. The octane debate has been discussed to death but the car was designed to run on premium and you will get the better MPG on 93. Just the mileage increase alone is worth using the recommended fuel.

Just to give you a quick start look at all your fluids, check gaskets and bushes. Power steering fluid leaking onto the alternator is a pretty common problem on earlier years and degrading capacitors in the ECM is a problem but not expensive to fix. Since the ECM is fine I would leave it for now. Otherwise, just go over the car as normal and if she is running great then have at it.
Thanks for the input, I spent about 2 hours looking over the vehicle and checking fluids and records. Transmission replaced 2 years ago. Power steering fluid leak somewhere, I will dive into that Monday when I purchase it.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you don't need to wean the car to 93, just start using it immediately, it's dying for it, use it full strength immediately, and don't go back to lesser octane!

you might want to go to Wal-mart and buy a few bottles of Techron and run them through there as well at about double the recommended rate!
Will there be any negative's to just switching back to the 93 octane and are you speaking of the Techron fuel cleaner? Is it safe to use in these cars? The car had plenty of power so I'm sure its not dying for 93, but I do plan to use it.. just didn't know if there would be adverse effects of doing this. Thanks

BTW, car was serviced at Fayette Imports 3 weeks ago so it shouldn't be needing new cap/rotor, plugs, etc until 3,000 miles when I plan on servicing it myself.
Old 12-23-12, 06:06 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure suspension bushings and engine mounts are good. And ball joints. If the front upper control arm ball joints are bad, the only way to get new OEM pieces is to replace the control arm. And the OEM pieces are pricey (clublexus discount = something like $500 to $600 per front upper control arm). Though some members have reported positive results with less expensive Dorman replacements. Make sure to check out the fuse box before buying, or you might find something really neat, like I did.
Old 12-23-12, 07:44 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
Make sure suspension bushings and engine mounts are good. And ball joints. If the front upper control arm ball joints are bad, the only way to get new OEM pieces is to replace the control arm. And the OEM pieces are pricey (clublexus discount = something like $500 to $600 per front upper control arm). Though some members have reported positive results with less expensive Dorman replacements. Make sure to check out the fuse box before buying, or you might find something really neat, like I did.
Like what haha? And the suspension bushing's were replaced not to long ago, looked at all receipts during his 14 years of ownership. The only suspension component that needs to be replaced is the right side front strut but I need to figure if this is air suspension or not. Buying her tomorrow so I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Old 12-24-12, 12:28 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but for some reason, this thread has made me wonder about MoS2 oil additives... Saw Liqui-Moly and a few other brands make a MoS2 additive for oil...

Usually I stay away from fuel and oil additives as most of it is snake oil... But MoS2 is not and makes me wonder how it would apply to our tank engines.
Old 12-24-12, 07:36 AM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shiryo
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but for some reason, this thread has made me wonder about MoS2 oil additives... Saw Liqui-Moly and a few other brands make a MoS2 additive for oil...

Usually I stay away from fuel and oil additives as most of it is snake oil... But MoS2 is not and makes me wonder how it would apply to our tank engines.
I was thinking the same regarding the fuel additives, I've heard of people having issues with their car's running "properly" after adding fuel cleaners, seafoam, etc. I've decided I'm going to stay away from those until I get the opinion of one of the techs at Lexus of South Atlanta.
Old 12-24-12, 10:29 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

dont panic... I have had 11 LS400's, since 1993. and I have always used 87 fuel in them. I am a retired mechanic and do not damage my cars or race them, just drive them and have not had any trouble. done regular maintaince as needed. so just get it, drive it and wait until the car tells you "I need something".
They are great cars and you will not want anything else after owning one.... take a look at my photobucket.
Old 12-24-12, 11:02 AM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
dont panic... I have had 11 LS400's, since 1993. and I have always used 87 fuel in them. I am a retired mechanic and do not damage my cars or race them, just drive them and have not had any trouble. done regular maintaince as needed. so just get it, drive it and wait until the car tells you "I need something".
They are great cars and you will not want anything else after owning one.... take a look at my photobucket.
I appreciate your input billydpowe! I've talked to a few mechanics and many of them said low octane fuel won't hurt a high compression engine. I picked the car up an hour ago and its got a full tank of 87 so I'll drive that out and get some 93 to see the performance difference.

BTW I looked at your photobucket, very impressive lineup of vehicles.. especially the 94 with the mesh wheels I believe I have the same color as you do, are these Anniversary models (gold emblem package, LS wheels with small center caps, etc)? Here is a pic, more to come once I give her a full detail
Attached Thumbnails Help on my 94 LS400 purchase-3id3n93o55k25h35jccag587865c798be1b40.jpg  
Old 12-24-12, 11:19 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpoGeorgi
I appreciate your input billydpowe! I've talked to a few mechanics and many of them said low octane fuel won't hurt a high compression engine. I picked the car up an hour ago and its got a full tank of 87 so I'll drive that out and get some 93 to see the performance difference.

BTW I looked at your photobucket, very impressive lineup of vehicles.. especially the 94 with the mesh wheels I believe I have the same color as you do, are these Anniversary models (gold emblem package, LS wheels with small center caps, etc)? Here is a pic, more to come once I give her a full detail
I dont think you will notice any difference unless you are racing, or maybe 1mpg economy. yes the wheels were dealer installed, and I put the gold emblems on most of the LS;s.
your LS really looks nice, just enjoy it.
Old 12-24-12, 01:04 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I dont think you will notice any difference unless you are racing, or maybe 1mpg economy. yes the wheels were dealer installed, and I put the gold emblems on most of the LS;s.
your LS really looks nice, just enjoy it.
Yeah I'm missing a center cap on the drivers side so I'm going to try and find one. And I defiantly will, thanks!
Old 12-24-12, 01:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I've talked to a few mechanics and many of them said low octane fuel won't hurt a high compression engine.
then you need to stop talking to redneck retard mechanics and talk to an engineer! - please read up on detonation (knock) and the long-term damage it can do to an engine!

in the best case, your knock sensors will detect the detonation condition and severely retard the timing resulting in crappy performance and fuel mileage, but at least save the engine from damage.

I have tested my own mileage and I get a minimum of 2 mpg better fuel economy with 93 on the LS400, so because of the difference in gas mileage, the 93 gas costs basically the same amount as 87, so why would anyone want to use 87 is beyond me!

PS - the car looks good, you and me both need to get those $35/set clear turn signals on ebay, so it will look like it is about 10 years newer!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-24-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 01:57 PM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
then you need to stop talking to redneck retard mechanics and talk to an engineer! - please read up on detonation (knock) and the long-term damage it can do to an engine!

in the best case, your knock sensors will detect the detonation condition and severely retard the timing resulting in crappy performance and fuel mileage, but at least save the engine from damage.

I have tested my own mileage and I get a minimum of 2 mpg better fuel economy with 93 on the LS400, so because of the difference in gas mileage, the 93 gas costs basically the same amount as 87, so why would anyone want to use 87 is beyond me!

PS - the car looks good, you and me both need to get those $35/set clear turn signals on ebay, so it will look like it is about 10 years newer!
I've been reading up on it, I'm mechanically inclined but I don't have much knowledge about engine detonation and retarded timing too much. Anyway, will be getting 93 once I drive this tank out and see the performance/fuel mileage difference.

Thanks for the complement, I think its the picture that makes the corner light's look yellowed.. in person they are very clear! Maybe I can hit up ebay to get a center cap for my drivers side front wheel
Old 12-24-12, 04:27 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I think its the picture that makes the corner light's look yellowed.. in person they are very clear!
no, silly - I am talking about the orange turn signals down below

you need a set of these

Quick Reply: Help on my 94 LS400 purchase