LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hey yall, new LS400 owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 09:24 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey yall, new LS400 owner here!

Hey. I am a new LS400 owner from North Carolina. I use to drive Nissan/Infinitis, then went up to Lexus. Its bought an paid for and is a 94 LS. It has some problems, but overall is a great car at 260+k. I hope to get some help with getting the LS right and giving back to the community. Im one of the few ladies who dont mind getting dirty so any & all advice will be appreciated.

Old 06-07-12, 10:07 PM
Justinkm
Driver

Hello and welcome to CL lol
Old 06-08-12, 06:57 AM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justinkm
Hello and welcome to CL lol
Thanks...but whats so funny
Old 06-08-12, 08:28 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94ncls400
Im one of the few ladies who dont mind getting dirty
LOL.. ^ that could be taken the wrong way. Lol. But anywho, do you plan on modding it? Cus I'm shure a lot of guys think its cool seeing a chick driving a modded car. What makes it even better is if it is her car! I have seen some cars that are modded by females and some are the best looking cars I have ever seen. If you do modd your car, you don't have to go straight VIP with it. Just personalise it to what you like, but also be tastful.
Old 06-08-12, 10:58 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

I don't get it.
Old 06-08-12, 11:30 AM
Justinkm
Driver

Thanks...but whats so funny
I do not know.. But welcome
Old 06-08-12, 01:54 PM
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

Welcome, from one noob to another. :beer:

I'm not exactly a new Lexus owner, but I'm new to these forums. My wife drove our 96 LS400 until I got her a new car and now I have the LS. The only major problem was a power steering leak and these forums helped me to eventually fix it. There's lots of good advice floating around here.
Old 06-08-12, 03:18 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocr
LOL.. ^ that could be taken the wrong way. Lol. But anywho, do you plan on modding it? Cus I'm shure a lot of guys think its cool seeing a chick driving a modded car. What makes it even better is if it is her car! I have seen some cars that are modded by females and some are the best looking cars I have ever seen. If you do modd your car, you don't have to go straight VIP with it. Just personalise it to what you like, but also be tastful.

Im sure . I have no immediate mod plans, I just want the lex to run reliably. Later on however, I do plan on going on the quest to do a 2jzgte swap since it is possible and I think it would be awesome in this car. I wont have to blow my retirement on a Supra and I can be unique at the same time.
Old 06-08-12, 03:18 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSTex
Welcome, from one noob to another. :beer:

I'm not exactly a new Lexus owner, but I'm new to these forums. My wife drove our 96 LS400 until I got her a new car and now I have the LS. The only major problem was a power steering leak and these forums helped me to eventually fix it. There's lots of good advice floating around here.
Thanks. An what did you do to fix the leak? I believe I have one as well.
Old 06-08-12, 03:44 PM
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. An what did you do to fix the leak? I believe I have one as well.
After having 2 mechanics work on it and fail (one even caused the Power Steering to quit), it turned out that the whole problem was the solenoid filter on the steering rack. The filter gets clogged and causes back pressure to the high pressure line. The fluid leaks from the reservoir area and looks like it's coming from the high pressure hose or rack.

The 1st mechanic replaced the High Pressure Hose. That's when a squeal started and the power steering got real heavy. The 2nd mechanic replaced the Power Steering Pump. When those "fixes" didn't work, I found these forums and cleaned the solenoid filter with some brake cleaner. No leaks anymore and the steering is quiet and smooth.
Old 06-08-12, 06:51 PM
ocr
Pole Position

I do plan on going on the quest to do a 2jzgte swap since it is possible and I think it would be awesome in this car. I wont have to blow my retirement on a Supra and I can be unique at the same time.
Sticking with the motor that came in the car would probibaly be best since a lot of supra peeps are starting to put the 1UZFE from our LS's into there supras along with everything else they can stuff this motor into. Just do a 5 or 6 speed swap and go turbo. Bone stock with an added turbo. The 1UZFE can easly suport 400+ hp. If you prefer the automatic over manual, the stock tranny can handle it without ishues. I personaly plan to do a twin turbo setup in about 2 or 3 years. But if the 2JZ is what you rilly want, go for it!
Old 06-09-12, 04:36 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSTex
After having 2 mechanics work on it and fail (one even caused the Power Steering to quit), it turned out that the whole problem was the solenoid filter on the steering rack. The filter gets clogged and causes back pressure to the high pressure line. The fluid leaks from the reservoir area and looks like it's coming from the high pressure hose or rack.

The 1st mechanic replaced the High Pressure Hose. That's when a squeal started and the power steering got real heavy. The 2nd mechanic replaced the Power Steering Pump. When those "fixes" didn't work, I found these forums and cleaned the solenoid filter with some brake cleaner. No leaks anymore and the steering is quiet and smooth.
Awesome! I am going to pull up a diagram of the solenoid filter location specifically and do the same thing. Tnx!
Old 06-09-12, 04:38 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocr
Sticking with the motor that came in the car would probibaly be best since a lot of supra peeps are starting to put the 1UZFE from our LS's into there supras along with everything else they can stuff this motor into. Just do a 5 or 6 speed swap and go turbo. Bone stock with an added turbo. The 1UZFE can easly suport 400+ hp. If you prefer the automatic over manual, the stock tranny can handle it without ishues. I personaly plan to do a twin turbo setup in about 2 or 3 years. But if the 2JZ is what you rilly want, go for it!
Really? I know alot of Supra guys locally and I've never heard of this. I'll have to check that out. A link that was provided pointed to a custom rear twin turbo set up on the 1U and that looked really cool. Reminded me of the STS turbo kit.
Old 06-14-12, 08:45 PM
94ncls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ocr
I stand corrected. I see the 1U is a very trendy swap and has potential. This changes alot. I am very interested in the direction you will go for your twin turbo swap. Are you doing sts, custom or a lextreme clone???
Old 06-14-12, 09:33 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Congratulations on your new car and welcome to CL. There are a lot of folks here that have forgotten more about the LS than some of us will ever know. Good luck with your soon to be favorite ride.

Quick Reply: Hey yall, new LS400 owner here!