LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brakes went out

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 05:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ImWildBill
Thanks everyone for your help, I'd have just replaced the master cylinder and still had no brakes without the input.

If anyone lives in the Kansas City area and wants to stop by for a beer and Chiefs football on Sundays just drop me a message!

This just goes to show you, ya don't just go changing parts without looking for the problem first, you saved alot of money, time, and aggrevation finding the leak in the line. If I'm ever way out there where you're at, I'll take ya up on that offer. But it will be a coffee, not a beer. Good job.

Glad ya found the leak and it's fixed. Nothing more important then brakes, sticking your foot out the door and dragging it wont work. It really sucks losing the brakes and trying to figure out what you can hit causing the least damage. It's not bad if ya have a hand brake. My 91 Grand Prix brakes went out and the E-brake was one of those ratchet type that ya had to pump to get it tighter, that sucked.
Old 11-09-11, 10:04 AM
TheDream
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing you got if fixed, having the brakes go out on you is a terrifying experience. I'd replace all other lines just in case they're close to failing. I had a brake line rupture on an old 89 sable due to rust and had to stop the car by pumping the pedal and putting the car in 1st.
Old 11-17-11, 10:26 PM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, my fiance and I were just talking about changing the rest of the lines and probably replacing the front drivers side caliper, it's hanging up a bit, not fully releasing. Draining all the brake fluid and replacing with new is also on the list.
Old 11-18-11, 07:04 AM
priestsls4
Driver School Candidate

Default deja vous

recently I had nearly identical symptoms (loss of break pressure, some inconsistency, little or no loss in fluid level, no signs of leak)....I also had what I thought was a separate issue involving a vibration at speed....

turns out the passenger caliper was failing and ultimately seazed completely....

replaced both calipers, rotors, and pads....no more issues.
Old 11-27-11, 01:13 AM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Hey priestsls4, my fiance and had decided after all this that the brakes are getting completely overhauled. All new lines, calipers and pads with a complete fluid replacement. Here in the next year or so my oldest is going to be learning to drive and we don't want there to be any issues like we have had.

Now if we can only get it running right....
Old 11-27-11, 09:03 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ImWildBill
Here in the next year or so my oldest is going to be learning to drive and we don't want there to be any issues like we have had.
Oh yeah, here comes the years that you worry the most, kids starting to drive. After they get their lisence, and they're out driving at night, every siren you hear you're gonna think it's for them. And every time you hear on the news about some accident, your mind is gonna be all twisted up. Have fun. I've been going through it for years already and it doesn't stop. But, good idea on getting the brakes completely redone. It doesn't matter if you spend thousands, the kid's life is....well......priceless.