LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Super weird radiator problem *PIC*

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 08:15 PM
JNeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super weird radiator problem *PIC*

So last week I was driving to get some items for my girlfriend and all of the sudden smoke starts pouring out from under my hood. Temp gauge shot all the way up, engine "dieseled" and cold air was coming out of the vents. I pull over to the side of the road and pop the hood expecting the worst - I had a Dodge Shadow (shudder) that blew the head gasket in the middle of winter. Not fun.

Here is what I saw: a hole in the radiator.

Anybody seen anything or heard of anything like this before?

-JNeezy
Attached Thumbnails Super weird radiator problem *PIC*-img_0015.jpg  

Last edited by JNeezy; 10-26-11 at 08:16 PM. Reason: User error
Old 10-26-11, 08:26 PM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

First off I'm no pro and i could be wrong. Is there any traces of coolant in oil dip stick?if milky looking could be a blown head gasket causing too much pressure in radiator. Or bad thermostat that was getting stuck. Could be other things as well. Hope any of this helps.
Old 10-26-11, 08:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

looks like its been overheated pretty badly, that coolant looks milky.

posting the year of your car would help a LOT
Old 10-26-11, 09:03 PM
JNeezy
Driver School Candidate

95 LS400. There is no trace of coolant in the oil. For a couple of days before it would blow cold air, then the temp gauge would climb and the system would "burp" and then it would blow hot air for a little while. Then back to cold air. I opened the bleed screw and added coolant through the housing.
Old 10-26-11, 09:38 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Check Transmission Fluid. If i am Correct the LS Has a Transmission cooler in the Radiator through Oil Lines connecting into the Radiator. Ive only Seen this is Chevy's when the Inner Most tank inside the Radiator Allows Transmission Fluid to get into the Cooling System.
Old 10-26-11, 09:51 PM
JNeezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hilux22RE
Check Transmission Fluid. If i am Correct the LS Has a Transmission cooler in the Radiator through Oil Lines connecting into the Radiator. Ive only Seen this is Chevy's when the Inner Most tank inside the Radiator Allows Transmission Fluid to get into the Cooling System.
Aha...yes, there is a line off from the tranny to the radiator. I will check the fluid, thanks. So your theory would be that the inner part of the radiator failed, super-heating the coolant to the point it would melt the plastic on the upper side?

-JNeezy
Old 10-26-11, 10:45 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

Originally Posted by JNeezy
Aha...yes, there is a line off from the tranny to the radiator. I will check the fluid, thanks. So your theory would be that the inner part of the radiator failed, super-heating the coolant to the point it would melt the plastic on the upper side?

-JNeezy
I had a 92 es300 and got my radiator change. I watch the man change it (thats how i learn how to do things) and i ask him about the pipes at the bottom of the radiator and the said thats for the transmission to keep it cool and it don't mix with the coolant. I guessing its the same idea with the ls400 . So if your coolant mixing with the transmission you got a problem
Old 10-27-11, 08:26 AM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JNeezy

-JNeezy

That is Correct. The Inner Tank in the Radiator (Depending if its run mostly with water) its worn down and causes the tank to burst mixing the Transmission Fluid with the Coolant.
Old 10-27-11, 08:50 AM
JNeezy
Driver School Candidate

That is Correct. The Inner Tank in the Radiator (Depending if its run mostly with water) its worn down and causes the tank to burst mixing the Transmission Fluid with the Coolant.
So following that, if the tranny fluid mixed with the coolant and circulated through the engine what kind of damage, if any, resulted? Could the tranny fluid going through the block do anything to the head gaskets, weakening them in any way? I just want to get an idea of what I am up against and what could be a potential problem.

Thanks,

-JNeezy
Old 10-27-11, 09:10 AM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

I Dont think it will Cause any Problems with the Head Gaskets. You will just need to do a Super Flush and Clean the System Really really good making sure no Trans Fluid is left in the System. After its Completely clean Fill up with the Correct Anti Freeze and you should be Golden.
Old 10-27-11, 09:36 AM
JNeezy
Driver School Candidate

I Dont think it will Cause any Problems with the Head Gaskets. You will just need to do a Super Flush and Clean the System Really really good making sure no Trans Fluid is left in the System. After its Completely clean Fill up with the Correct Anti Freeze and you should be Golden.
Cool, and thanks. It would prolly be a wise decision to change the fluid in the tranny as well huh?
Old 10-27-11, 12:30 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

If you filled it through the bleed screw it could an be air pocket, its not good if you get an air pocket that is stuck and cant escape. the air will heat and expand faster than the water will. if its stuck in the same spot it ganna force its way out. if there is was a spot there where the top of the radiator was damaged but not noticeably . It could just break through there.
Old 10-28-11, 02:57 AM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

It's probably just old plastic giving way. If you're unlucky it's due to the system being overpressurized by a blown headgasket or bad overflow tank cap, but usually a hose gives way first when that happens.

The milky coolant is a concern, but there's not much to do besides swap it out and take a look at the transmission fluid for contamination.
Old 10-28-11, 04:54 AM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It happened to my son in his 1994 ES 300 while on the highway. Same milky residue blown all over the engine compartment. Result was a damaged engine. We don't know what caused the radiator to fail. Hopefully you got the car turned off and saved the engine. His trans was okay.
Old 10-28-11, 12:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

except your son's ES has a VZ series V6, which is somewhat known for BHG issues. the 1UZ isn't.

Quick Reply: Super weird radiator problem *PIC*