LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I thought Lexus engineering was good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 04:49 PM
KingLex400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought Lexus engineering was good?

So, after four years of hassle free driving and two payments left, BAM!!! this happens.

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400 loaded to the tilt, with what I thought was low milage for a LS (169,000). Anyways Saturday morning after arriving at work I pulled into my parking spot and noticed the car was making what could be heard as extra loud lifter tick. At first I thought nothing of it, considering it was ready for another oil change and I thought it might just be old oil causing it to tick louder, BUT I was wrong.

After leaving work and starting my car it cranked right over and started no problem, but again had a god awful, and louder, tick to it. It sounded like a diesel, yet ran smooth and strong on the road. I made it home that night ok no problems.

Then Sunday when I started it up, again the tapping noise, but now the tapping noise was accompanied by a kind of loose bearing noise coupled with metal to metal scraping. I had to run a errand so I took it a few miles away from home and back. The whole time I was cringing because the noise got slightly louder followed by a pop and then the noise somewhat ceased. Remember this whole time the car is running flawlessly, but its making the noise. (While driving it like this I never let RPMs go over 2k)

So the next morning I decide to take a look at the car, and to my surprise the RH No.2 VVTi housing has a huge hole in it and another small hole, with a 10mm bolt laying in the bottom of the housing. The exposed gear(which I am not sure what its for since it touches nothing) is beat to hell.

Judging by what I can see, a bolt (1 of 4) came loose from the VVTi controller and spun around in the housing rubbing on the gear until the steel bolt busted through the aluminum housing. So my question is: HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?

I always take really good care of my cars and I have had this one for four years no problems (other than PS pump), but who cares.
I was under the impression that Lexus engineers were some of the best, but after looking at how a 1" 10mm bolt could work itself loose and grind away the housing and gear, I am not impressed AT ALL. The loose bolt was fine with no damage and I could see every thread once I retrieved it.

I am just so confused as to how this happened, any and ALL comments will be welcome. Please I need help finding the cause to this problem so it wont happen again to anyone else.

Again: Car runs perfect, but housing has hole in it and cant find what caused this to happen other than a bolt coming loose from inside the VVTi Controller.

PICS BELOW
Attached Thumbnails I thought Lexus engineering was good?-vvti-1.jpg   I thought Lexus engineering was good?-vvti-2.jpg   I thought Lexus engineering was good?-vvti-3.jpg  
Old 08-08-11, 05:08 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well. Have you owned the car since new? WHo knows what a previous mechanic might have done to cause this. I haven't heard of this happening before so I wouldn't say this is an engineering problem.
Old 08-08-11, 07:15 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sound like a a*****e but whos really to blame. I think when you first heard there was a problem you should of found out what it was before driving around everywhere. Call around for parts I am sure the engine still fine.
Old 08-08-11, 07:53 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

x3, don't blame it on Lexus. Someone else was in there before and didn't do a proper job.

You also shouldn't have kept on driving like that. These LS400's are bulletproof, so I'm sure the engine will be fine. They are great car's.
Old 08-08-11, 08:15 PM
PjLex
Driver

You have a detailed picture of the bolts you found inside?
Old 08-08-11, 08:26 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Tape it shut and go on with life smiling.
Old 08-08-11, 08:54 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Gorilla Tape to the rescue!!
Old 08-08-11, 10:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

As with the others.
Engineering is the poor spec valve spring in the 460's, the blown amps in the ML audio system of the 430's, etc. The BHG from the improper head torque in the 7M engine...

This could be a fluke or as a result from an improper technician opening the engine up. Get it fixed and motor on. Hey, I'm unhappy about my 3'rd starter but sheep happens.
Old 08-08-11, 11:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KingLex400
So, after four years of hassle free driving and two payments left, BAM!!! this happens.

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400 loaded to the tilt, with what I thought was low milage for a LS (169,000). Anyways Saturday morning after arriving at work I pulled into my parking spot and noticed the car was making what could be heard as extra loud lifter tick. At first I thought nothing of it, considering it was ready for another oil change and I thought it might just be old oil causing it to tick louder, BUT I was wrong.

After leaving work and starting my car it cranked right over and started no problem, but again had a god awful, and louder, tick to it. It sounded like a diesel, yet ran smooth and strong on the road. I made it home that night ok no problems.

Then Sunday when I started it up, again the tapping noise, but now the tapping noise was accompanied by a kind of loose bearing noise coupled with metal to metal scraping. I had to run a errand so I took it a few miles away from home and back. The whole time I was cringing because the noise got slightly louder followed by a pop and then the noise somewhat ceased. Remember this whole time the car is running flawlessly, but its making the noise. (While driving it like this I never let RPMs go over 2k)

So the next morning I decide to take a look at the car, and to my surprise the RH No.2 VVTi housing has a huge hole in it and another small hole, with a 10mm bolt laying in the bottom of the housing. The exposed gear(which I am not sure what its for since it touches nothing) is beat to hell.

Judging by what I can see, a bolt (1 of 4) came loose from the VVTi controller and spun around in the housing rubbing on the gear until the steel bolt busted through the aluminum housing. So my question is: HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?

I always take really good care of my cars and I have had this one for four years no problems (other than PS pump), but who cares.
I was under the impression that Lexus engineers were some of the best, but after looking at how a 1" 10mm bolt could work itself loose and grind away the housing and gear, I am not impressed AT ALL. The loose bolt was fine with no damage and I could see every thread once I retrieved it.

I am just so confused as to how this happened, any and ALL comments will be welcome. Please I need help finding the cause to this problem so it wont happen again to anyone else.

Again: Car runs perfect, but housing has hole in it and cant find what caused this to happen other than a bolt coming loose from inside the VVTi Controller.

PICS BELOW

so let me get this straight:
you-
-heard/felt something wrong, but weren't sure so ASSUMED something and drove it anyways.
then
-Heard/Felt something getting WORSE, but drove it anyways
and then
-Heard/felt the noise/vibration at the absolute WORST you've heard it thus far, "cringing" as you say, but DROVE IT ANYWAYS

and now, when you find something severely damaged, you Blame LEXUS!?!

rightttt......if you took good care of your car you wouldn't have driven it past the first stage, or taken it home/shop and got it sorted out before you drove it any further. Don't blame Engineering for a problem that was made exponentially worse by you RUNNING it in that condition. For a car with your mileage, when was the last time the timing belt was done? How long have you had it?

more importantly

When have you ever heard of any other LS (or 1uz engine for that matter) having a similar problem to yours that you say it's an engineering related defect?

oh right...

you haven't.

these things happen, you made it worse in your handling of it. So fix it and live life.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 08-09-11 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:40 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks for taking care of this for me, Pure. A used old car will have stuff go wrong with it, it's up to the driver to keep a small thing from turning into a big thing.

A new housing cover from Lexus is about $80 from an online discount dealer.

Last edited by sdls; 08-09-11 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 12:54 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Fatality!!!!!! PD wins!!! LOL! OP, dude why did you drive the car like that!?
Old 08-09-11, 10:22 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

If this incident were a common issue then yes, I would say there is an engineering problem. However, it does not appear to be, so no.

Mike
Old 08-09-11, 10:55 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i dont see an engineering problem here
Old 08-09-11, 11:05 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is like the guy in car chat who doesn't like his local dealer so he's boycotting the brand. Even though he likes the car. Lol.
Old 08-09-11, 02:23 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilux22RE
Gorilla Tape to the rescue!!
They make tape too? This is the best news all day!

Quick Reply: I thought Lexus engineering was good?