LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler Mod results: 14.82 @ 95.72mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 03:31 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Muffler Mod results: 14.82 @ 95.72mph

Yeah Baby... I am updating my sig. Went to the track tonight, air was terrible. Last time out everyone was complaining and the barometric pressure was almost 30 inches. Tonight it was under 29 inches, BIG difference. That same '02 Maxima was there with an aftermarket 2.5" exhaust and the best he managed was a 15.0 at 93mph. He told me he had actually cut a 14.7 at 93 the last time after I had left with a 2.17 60 ft.

Anyway, some may recall that I removed the rear mufflers. I had intended to run without them and then put them on for a direct comparision of power but due to a fuel issue I wasn't able to get enough consistent times without them. Ended up making all the runs with them in the TRUNK so there was no weight savings...

So, in worse air than before I have a new best of 14.82 @ 95.72mph. In a month or so, as the air gets better (colder, dryer and more pressure) I hope to grab a 14.6 or even a 14.5... stay tuned...
Old 09-19-02, 10:43 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brady

This is some cool stuff to read, keep it up.

Jerry
Old 09-19-02, 11:00 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brady your crazy!
I like it!
My exhaust basicly fell off once and that V8 sure does rumble nicely but LOUD!
Old 09-19-02, 12:26 PM
Lvangundy

Wow jbrady - Seems you are actually getting some performance gains from your mods!

Maybe time for the dyno..
Old 09-19-02, 01:14 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lee, so are you saying that you were sceptical???

Actually, to get "real" performance out of a modern computer controlled car you need to make careful changes and TEST. Too many people use the "butt meter" instead of a track or accelerometer. Airflow/exhaust flow is key but can be a tricky thing. People "think" bigger is better but often creates turbulence and less flow. You want to preserve enertia and speed while reducing restrictions. The stock ECU will definitely have a range for which it can compensate. I can't say for certain what the LS ECU will allow but the limiting factor may be the injector size which according to Mo is around 400hp engine

Jerry, thanks, you can count on it!

Lou, I remember your exhaust spontaneously "exiting" the vehicle... but I can't recall where it broke. By saying it was loud I have to guess in the center resonator area because I have the rear mufflers completely OFF the car and it is NOT loud
remind me what happened... also, when are you going to the track?
Old 09-19-02, 05:19 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Not any time soon with the lexus.
That thing is too heavy now with all the stereo stuff.

I would go with you with my little VW though.
I need to get some track times on it before redoing the engine.
Plus I need to practice my launch skills or lack of it.
Maybe you can help me?

Oh, the exhaust broke at the Y.
I don't know about yours but I had f-body boys asking me what engine I got under the beast because it was so loud.
Hahahahahaha!!!!

Last edited by SQ-LS; 09-19-02 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 08:12 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lou, no problem on a "lesson" or 2 for the Vdub I may try to pull off the center section and do some more testing... we will see.

You say at the Y. Was it the Y from the engine or the Y after the center resonator?
Old 09-19-02, 08:24 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Broke off right after the resonator, where it splits to the two exhaust.

I might be going on the 27 of Sept with some Vdub guys if you would like to meet up there that day.
I'll let you know.
Old 09-19-02, 11:50 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Might work, although Fridays are a zoo, but, if the weather is good... I'm there.

So it broke after the center resonator and it was LOUD eh!

What did you do for a replacement. If memory serves you ordered a Japanese exhaust. Was it complete or did you have to fab some to fix the damage?

As I said before mine has the second mufflers but not the 3rd muffs. Thing is still quiet. Yes, you can tell but it is very mild. I guess those seconds are really restrictive.

Peter Scott who runs "Planet Soarer" http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/
he listed the weight and flow for the very VERY similar SC400 system here http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...asurements.htm

Some very good information there.
Old 09-24-02, 03:56 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What track do you go to ?
Old 09-24-02, 04:29 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

LXTASY,

I go to HRP (Houston Raceway Park) in Baytown. Takes me about 1 hour to drive there from Sugar Land. Great track, great prep, well managed. If you are in the greater Houston area you should give it a shot. It is a LOT of fun to run your car without concern of getting a ticket. Wednesdays are trophy night and all street tired cars can run. My best pass before the brackets was a 14.93 so I dialed in a 14.85. I was going to go with a 14.80 but didn't want to help my competition TOO much As you can see from the post I ran a 14.82 and BROKE OUT! :eek: Oh well, getting a new best time kind of took the sting out of loosing
Old 09-24-02, 05:09 PM
LXTASY
Driver

My daughter & all her friends have been going to a track somewhere around San Antonio. She wants me to go around Thanksgiving with her friends. According to her I would be the only Lexus there.
Old 09-24-02, 05:13 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Brady, we are going to have to do this another time.
I totally forgot about Import Expo this weekend at Reliant Hall.
I'm gonna show the VW since the Lex isn't done.
Sorry, maybe next time.
I really need some lesson especial the toe and heel stuff.
Holla at you later.

Oh, I took it to a shop and got it welded back together.
Haven't got a exhaust yet.
Long storry.

Last edited by SQ-LS; 09-24-02 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 12:16 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

LXTASY, why wait? If you have never gone you will enjoy the experience and get some practice getting the most out of your LS! Don't worry about the car, it will be fine, I barely even spin my tires and my 96 didn't at all. Go run with your daughter and let us know.

Lou, yeah, yeah, yeah...

We should try and hit HRP sometime to represent the "club" Maybe even try to do a Houston meet at the track? Some of the guys from the last meet expressed interest.

BTW, a guy on www.freshalloy.com (the Nissan board) posted a time slip reportably from an '02 6-speed Maxima (255hp) running a 14.1 @ 97+mph :eek: :eek: :eek: I am going to have to come up with something to keep the Max and G's at bay The exhaust mod and possibly an SRT intake/race ECU.

Hey, did you sell your Precision Industries torque converter?
Old 09-25-02, 01:04 PM
LXTASY
Driver

The track would be fun just to see what the car would be capable of, but, to me it seems like such a dog after owning a M3 & a Cobra. Of course it amazes me how fast a LS400 is now compared to my 66 Mustang GT, 289 4 spd that I used to run at Bandimere speedway in Denver.

Quick Reply: Muffler Mod results: 14.82 @ 95.72mph