LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Downshift hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 03:08 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Downshift hesitation problem

I currently own a 1999 LS400.

I've heard that Lexus is working on a solution to the downshift hesitation problem.

My dealer's service manager said that they've been testing a solution in California, but haven't yet resolved it.

Has anyone any additional information about this problem?

I just ordered a '03 LS430, in spite of this problem, because everything else on the car is exceptional.
Old 09-18-02, 05:51 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 98 LS400. Does this problem appy to it also? If it does would you mind giving me more details on it? I have not notice a problem but I have only had my car for about 4 weeks.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 09-18-02, 06:10 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Applicable to LS430???

Folks,

Does this apply to the '01 LS430??? I have been complaining about a downshift problem since day 1 on the car. Additionally and related, the car is supposed to have a feature that prevents the car from both accelerating when going DOWN a grade and/or when you remove your foot from the accelerator - my vehicle doesn't seem to work correctly in that fashion...

Any thoughts???

I keep resetting the ECU to factory defaults to get better performance from the tranny...

L
Old 09-18-02, 06:16 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect that this issue exists on the '98 LS400's as well as my '99.

When you're going about 20-40 MPH, and need sudden acceleration to, for example, merge onto a highway, often the you get no acceleration in response to pressing the accelerator almost to the floor.

Instead, the car seems to hesitate for 1/2 to 1 second, as though it's trying to decide what to do.

Then, either you get a sudden downshift of 2-3 gears, or, sometimes, if you don't press quite hard enough on the accelerator, it stays in the current gear (5th) and starts accelerating.

In any case, I often have to cancel my merge attempt because of the hesitation.

Unfortunately, the fix Lexus is purportedly working on isn't for the LS400, but for recent (2002 an on) LS430's.
Old 09-18-02, 06:21 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation..

I suspect is the result of the need to quickly "retune" the engine for max performance rather than best MPG. "Reset" the variable valve train, VVT-i, and the intake plenum "resonance", and maybe even an engine ignition "break" to let the torque converter unlock.
Old 09-18-02, 08:03 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This issue doesn't only affect the LS. It also affects the '02 ES, and from what I hear, the GS.

What wwest said sounds sorta like what a Lexus mechanic told me.