LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 ls400 misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 08:44 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 ls400 misfiring

ok i have 1990 ls400 with 260k

well few days ago my my radiator cracked and i replaced it and been working fine for few days now since it still super hot out my car started to have really bad misfire and my car feel like has no power and shakes really bad
Old 07-15-11, 08:32 AM
cdred22
Driver School Candidate

Default DredLS400

It can be a vacuum leak from somewhere. I had the same problem with my 91 ls
Old 07-15-11, 09:23 AM
nurvcom
Rookie

ok i going to check that this sat on wensday it did it once and went away and on thursday it was fine in am and on started car to go home from work and bamm it was missing and shaking bad and feels like has no power today friday it same missing bad and shacking and no power i check my plugs all 8 good no folwing or buildup
Old 07-15-11, 09:24 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

With that many miles it could be a whole number of things without more info. Check to see if you have spark, good spark, at all 8 plugs. Could be a fouled plug, bad plug wire, coil, cam sensor, and the worst case scenerio, it could have jumped time. Check the timing marks to see if it all lines up. Has the T-belt ever been changed, when? When was the last tune up? Is the engine light on? If so, check for codes.
Use some punctuation in your posts. It's hard to read when it's one whole sentence.
Old 07-15-11, 01:11 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

260K MILES

Plugs are good clean

wire need replaced i think

and timing belt never been changed since i owned it

and how easy is it to check the cam sensor ..
Old 07-15-11, 01:20 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

You need an Ohm meter, I don't have the specs off hand but if you search the forum you can find them. I know I mentioned them a couple times. If you look at # 10 in this you can see the connecters you need to take off. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html It will also show you how to check the timing marks. Check the tutorial for ignition and it will show the ohms for the plug wires so you can test those also.
Old 07-16-11, 12:01 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess that on of the coils are bad, probably the on the drivers side. If you search you should find some information on how to check a ignition coil.
Old 07-16-11, 01:46 AM
vaughn37
Pole Position

oh I had this happen.it sounded horrible and shook really bad .....start it and look under the car and see if the cats are glowing red hot....if so then like Jandersson said it is probably a bad coil.

I got my coil from advance auto and the specs were with what lexus says they need to be.

the one from autozone was not
Old 07-16-11, 10:58 AM
nurvcom
Rookie

Ok got new wires and driver coil is new I changed iacv and. Still stakes when driving and missfire when driving in park I can barely notice misfire
Old 07-16-11, 11:54 AM
nurvcom
Rookie

Ok well my cyl 5 act like it dead I did a test pull wire by wire on sparkplugs and. Cyl5 make no changes not better or worst. Rest of my plugs. When unhooked car get worst missfire

Pull cyl 5 plug and it wet. And I need a cap and rotor now??
Old 07-16-11, 12:17 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

I just got code 14 on check light
Old 07-16-11, 12:45 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

You should have, like I mentioned before, checked the plugs first. You could have bought plugs, which you need to anyway, for $25 instead of spending all that money on unnecesary parts. Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter, which is wierd b/c you have spark, other then cyl 5. Change plugs and you shouldn't have the misfire anymore, clear the codes, drive it for a little bit and check to see if the code comes back.
Couple questions; What brand wires did you get? OEM? Why did you change the IACV? Was it bad? Did you use new or used?
Old 07-16-11, 01:45 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
You should have, like I mentioned before, checked the plugs first. You could have bought plugs, which you need to anyway, for $25 instead of spending all that money on unnecesary parts. Code 14 is for the No. 1 igniter, which is wierd b/c you have spark, other then cyl 5. Change plugs and you shouldn't have the misfire anymore, clear the codes, drive it for a little bit and check to see if the code comes back.
Couple questions; What brand wires did you get? OEM? Why did you change the IACV? Was it bad? Did you use new or used?
I did check plug first was dry. And then drove car to orallys auto parts got wire set since i found 3 big cracks wires helped a little. Where is the igniter located? Iavc. Was cracked so I just got new one
Old 07-17-11, 12:59 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

ok well i think i got wrong code it 41 and injector on cyl i dont feel it clicking like the other injectors check wires and ecu is sending pules
Old 07-17-11, 01:00 PM
nurvcom
Rookie

what Ohm should injectors be at???

Quick Reply: 90 ls400 misfiring