LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who wants more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01, 03:11 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

under the Q&A section of this page it says the borla has a "soft rumble"..thats what I want for sound...Ive personally never heard one...I have heard the HKS on other cars and it was kind of loud but could be attributed to 4 and 6 cyl. engines..they had that motorcycle kind of sound...Im sure the V-8 has a deeper sound...the more important question is what kind of increase in performance can I expect...no matter what exhaust I put on there is only so much more horsepower/performance...anyone seen dyno results or "felt" a difference????

at carparts.com they have a picture of the borla catback but it has the little disclaimer "may not be actual picture"

Im going to contact Rod Millen and find out WTF with the intake....
Old 03-27-01, 04:12 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey while your talkin' to Rod ask him the product number for the K&N filter. I need to buy another one.
Thanks,
Old 03-27-01, 04:14 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry loule, just emailed him...when he replies I'll ask...
Old 03-27-01, 09:41 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rod millen velocity stack?

i already have a hks super megaflow intake, but i am wondering if rod millen really has brought back its intake, well this intake produce more power then the HKS i already have? also what does the velocity stack do?
Old 03-28-01, 02:01 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys, the throttle body does not know who's intake you have. The only thing it knows is how much pressure there is at its opening. Anything that reduces flow will cause a drop in pressure at the TB opening. The BIG secret of the SRT intake is the SIZE of the tube. By using a tube that has a LARGER diameter ID than the TB the air flow is slower than through the TB. This NON restricted slower air has MORE pressure than a smaller tube with higher speed air. This higher pressure makes for a measureable increase of flow through the TB. SRT also tweeks the ECU for a better fuel/timing pattern. This combination is what gives the 20rwhp boost. Without the ECU tweeks the gain is probably only half that. Without a larger diameter pipe the gain would probably only be 5hp. A K&N filter insert by itself is probably only good for 2-3hp. A velocity stack isn't going to help. COLD air is DEFINITELY helpful. Removing the factory cold air ducting in favor of a cone filter breathing heated underhood air will SOUND strong but probably make LESS power than the stock parts.:eek:

Last edited by JBrady; 03-28-01 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-01, 07:03 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default oh no!

so this means my HKS supermegaflow intake has lessened my power? i took all the factory air ducting and just hooked up a rectangular adapter the factory's rectangular adpater,so the big fan on the back side of the intercooler can blow air into the intake while my car was running.i thought this would be a good idea,but was this a good idea Jbrady?please HELP and spread some knowledge!
Old 03-31-01, 10:36 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Sorry edogg but that hot air off the radiator is a definite no-no. Is it just a filter attached to the MAF meter or does HKS replace the TB feed tube? If it is just a filter I would say all you gained was sound. Look at SRTs parts. They all isolate the air filter and feed it COLD air.
Old 03-31-01, 10:33 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default loss of power?

so Jbrady, do you think i gain any or lost a substantial amount of power or all i really gain was a loud vacum nosie?

this might sound silly, but would putting a vacum tube behind the grill and leading it towards the top of the intake help, because cold air would rush in the tube while the car is moving and i also have a decent amount of room around the intake,but i well let you answer this question Jbrady because your knowledge is much more well rounded then mine!!!
Old 04-01-01, 11:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up Hmmmmmm

I'm sure it may help some with the direct air flow from outside the engine compartment. What about adding one of those aluminum heat/noise shields??? Like the one used by SRT and AEM or even the ones that go around the cone filter itself... I think it's worth a try and you could fabricate one easily yourself... What do you have to lose???

Last edited by The Ikon; 04-01-01 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-01-01, 10:40 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yes, you could definitely benefit from ducting cold air to the air filter. The best would be to isolate the feed area around the filter from the underhood heat and direct cold air to this area. Do the 90-94 cars have a duct from over the radiator to the stock air box? If so replacing this duct and isolating the air filter area with plastic or aluminum would be good. Make sure whatever material you use can withstand the heat and that it is well supported so that it cannot slip into the fan or the accessory belt drive (make very sure). I have also built ducting from the flexible aluminum dryer ducting available at Home Depot type stores. I have 5" ID ducting on my 5.0 Ford. This size is hard to find as most is 4" which is OK but marginal and 6" which is huge. This ducting is VERY flexible yet still fairly ridgid.

Last edited by JBrady; 04-01-01 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-02-01, 07:27 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I have the RMM intake I'll speak on my experience with it. Yes the hot air is bad but, you still get a good feed of cold air through the factory air duct that feeds cold air to the original air intake box that you would leave intact. I felt a little improvement but not a drastic one like a cold air intake would. If your really into blocking the heat you can basicly make your own heat sheild (I'm planning to do this). All you need is a aluminum sheet and some clippers. Get some cardboard and do a preliminary cut till you get the right size that will also fit under the hood and then trace it on the aluminum sheet. Remember before you cut the sheet that you got to figure where and how the sheild is going to be screwed on or stay up right in the engine bay. Get some door edge protector stuff and wrap it around the edges so their not sharp. There you go, a home made heat shield that takes about a 1-2 hours and only cost you about $10 to $20 bucks. Some of my friends have done this and I must admit it looks nice and it really does work. Good luck.
Old 04-02-01, 08:44 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lou, good tip, exactly what I had in mind. Hopefully I will find time to source parts and build the large diameter Throttle Body inlet tube for our side TB applications.
Old 04-02-01, 03:02 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default tips

thanks again Loule and Jbrady!
Old 04-06-01, 09:54 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default heat shield?

yes Loule, i want to put a heat sheild, but i am scared. i am not very sure on how to put it on or where to put it on. do i put it under the hood or near the intake?
Old 04-08-01, 05:58 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default info for mind and pocket...

Check out this site www.SpeedandStyle.com ... The have the air intake tubing and MAF to Throttle body piping for around $29 instead making one unless you need a larger diameter... Hope this help...

Quick Reply: Who wants more POWER?