LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 ls400 radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 01:59 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ls400 radio issue

I just bought a clean low milage ls400 just one issue the radio lights up comes on but no music comes out the speakers , any help or suggestions r greatly appreciated
Old 06-16-11, 03:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dead amp sounds like
Old 06-17-11, 02:31 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Dam that's excatlly what I didn't wana hear , is there anyway to test it?
Old 06-17-11, 06:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

try another amp? lol. make sure you get the one for your model (ie-pioneer for normal or nakamichi for the nak radio)
Old 06-17-11, 07:51 PM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

I would start by checking the fuses. Just a thought.
Old 06-17-11, 08:13 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jltibbs
I would start by checking the fuses. Just a thought.
There are two fuses for the audio system: "radio 1" and "radio 2". If I remember correctly, one is in the engine compartment fuse box and the other is in the under-dash fuse box. When one of the fuses is out, the radio will light up but there will be no sound.

Also, if the car has or had a Lexus phone, a short in the phone ECU can put the radio into permanent mute mode -- a common problem in cars with these old phone systems. Unplug the connectors from the phone ECU in the trunk; plug the two large connectors (one male, one female) together to complete the circuit. I did this on a friend's 99 LS400 and you should have seen his face when his long silent radio came to life.
Old 06-18-11, 07:32 AM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Hmm my car does have the phone in it ill check that out , p.s I checked both fuses already thanks for the assist guys . When I bought it the climate control , radio , ac didn't work . I got the climate control an a.c goin the previous owner felt like a **** lol 130.xxx miles ls black with black leathers n sold it for 1300 cuz he couldn't get the a.c an climate control to work

Originally Posted by Kansas
There are two fuses for the audio system: "radio 1" and "radio 2". If I remember correctly, one is in the engine compartment fuse box and the other is in the under-dash fuse box. When one of the fuses is out, the radio will light up but there will be no sound.

Also, if the car has or had a Lexus phone, a short in the phone ECU can put the radio into permanent mute mode -- a common problem in cars with these old phone systems. Unplug the connectors from the phone ECU in the trunk; plug the two large connectors (one male, one female) together to complete the circuit. I did this on a friend's 99 LS400 and you should have seen his face when his long silent radio came to life.
Old 06-18-11, 08:01 AM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

My apologies. I wasn't trying to talk down to you. I didn't see it mentioned in the first post so I threw it out there. I'm a new LS owner as well, so I'm here to learn as much as I can.
Old 06-18-11, 10:44 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trinils97
Hmm my car does have the phone in it ill check that out , p.s I checked both fuses already thanks for the assist guys .
I should have mentioned that it is also possible for a defective Lexus phone handset to force the radio into permanent mute mode since there is an another audio system mute pin in the connector that the handset cradle plugs into. It would be a good idea to unplug the handset cradle from this connector which is next to and under the vent you see when the front armrest is raised.

Disconnecting the handset cradle will require removing the console wood panel, the front cupholder and then the console box. I think the procedure for your 1997 LS is the same as for my 2000 LS so I will attach photos from when I did it on my 00 LS some years ago.

Also attached is a photo of the connector that the 95-97 LS400 phone handset plugs into. The yellow wire you see sort of plugged in the handset cradle connector is for an aftermarket Parrot Bluetooth phone kit that "Blake918" on lexusownersclub installed in his 95 LS. It a perfect place to connect a phone kit's mute wire so that it automatically mutes the audio system when a phone call is in progress.

You will also find an antenna coax connector near the handset cradle connector. It can be used to link the imprinted phone antenna on the rear window to an aftermarket phone charging cradle by connecting together the two phone antenna coax cables in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails 96 ls400 radio issue-removing-wood-console-panel.jpg   96 ls400 radio issue-removing-cupholder.jpg   96 ls400 radio issue-removing-console-box.jpg   96 ls400 radio issue-1995-ls400-audio-mute-pin.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 06-18-11 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 11:52 AM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Ok I unpluged the one under the armrest still no sound , where in the trunk is the phone ecu located an what color is it don't wana disconect the wrong **** .

Originally Posted by Kansas
I should have mentioned that it is also possible for a defective Lexus phone handset to force the radio into permanent mute mode since there is an another audio system mute pin in the connector that the handset cradle plugs into. It would be a good idea to unplug the handset cradle from this connector which is next to and under the vent you see when the front armrest is raised.

Disconnecting the handset cradle will require removing the console wood panel, the front cupholder and then the console box. I think the procedure for your 1997 LS is the same as for my 2000 LS so I will attach photos from when I did it on my 00 LS some years ago.

Also attached is a photo of the connector that the 95-97 LS400 phone handset plugs into. The yellow wire you see sort of plugged in the handset cradle connector is for an aftermarket Parrot Bluetooth phone kit that "Blake918" on lexusownersclub installed in his 95 LS. It a perfect place to connect a phone kit's mute wire so that it automatically mutes the audio system when a phone call is in progress.

You will also find an antenna coax connector near the handset cradle connector. It can be used to link the imprinted phone antenna on the rear window to an aftermarket phone charging cradle by connecting together the two phone antenna coax cables in the trunk.
Old 06-18-11, 12:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trinils97
Ok I unpluged the one under the armrest still no sound , where in the trunk is the phone ecu located an what color is it don't wana disconect the wrong **** .
I assume your phone ECU is under the false floor on the right side of the trunk like in the 98-00 LS400 and looks similar. In the attached photo you can see the two sets of large white connectors I'm talking about.

Unplug all connectors leading to the phone ECU and plug two large white ones (that are part of the phone harness of the car) together. You might as well remove and toss the phone ECU -- it's analog and worthless.

On cars without a dealer installed Lexus phone, the unused phone connectors are attached to a white plastic bracket at the bottom of the plastic receptacle that the tool kit slides into.
Attached Thumbnails 96 ls400 radio issue-ls400-phone-ecu.jpg  
Old 06-18-11, 12:16 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Thank u ill try again on my lunch break
Old 06-18-11, 12:55 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

Nope still no sound , I even tried plugin bacj in the one under the console still no lucj , so that's both unpluged an still no tunes, I'm so about to toss the stock radio out lol
Old 06-18-11, 01:12 PM
trinils97
Driver School Candidate

And to make matter worse there's no sub in the back . I'm 2.5 secs away from just installing a sound system . Sorry for the miss spelling I'm on my cell
Old 06-18-11, 01:25 PM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

If it makes you feel any better, I noticed I still had the stock sub in mine. They even had a remote wire tagged, RCA's, power, and a ground cable ran. I got all excited and grabbed an amp out of the garage and hooked it all up. First of all, the amp would only power on while the HU was on radio. Once you put a cd in, the amp would shut off. I figured I would just re-run the remote. No luck. So I pulled the HU, and someone cut the RCA cables coming from the amp, AND they cut the RCA's off the back of the HU. So I can't do anything until I buy another HU. Those people fail at life.

Hope yours gets better!

Quick Reply: 96 ls400 radio issue