LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Vibration when braking, bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 07:14 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when braking, bushings?

ok so i probably need new rotors in the front but the back rotors look very clean and smooth comapred to the front. Pads are good and everything, plus the car shakes really bad on the highway when i press the brakes lightly and not as bad when i press harder. I can feel it in the shifter and seat. I bought a set of rear carrier arm bushings for $105 shipped from ebay, however are these symptoms of bad bushings?
Old 03-21-11, 07:36 PM
95lexsc300
Rookie

Rotor are more and likely warped. I had the same symptom on my ls, and it was warped rotor . My car was having the vibration when I brake hard versus your vibrate hard at light pedal. Alot of owner has stated front lower control arm bushing usually caused this vibration.
Old 03-21-11, 07:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Are you getting feedback through the steering wheel and or brake pedal during braking?
Sounds like a typical warped rotor and combined with worn bushings might also become more obvious. Did you check rotor runout?
Old 03-21-11, 08:03 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Are you getting feedback through the steering wheel and or brake pedal during braking?
Sounds like a typical warped rotor and combined with worn bushings might also become more obvious. Did you check rotor runout?
I spun the front rotors and they are very slightly warped which i already knew since the wheel had some vibration but nothing too bad. The main concern is the shaking of the shifter and *** end of the car. I couldnt spin the back rotors as i only lifted up half the rear end. The backs looked pretty clean though. Im really hoping its these carrier arm bushings will fix the issue as i already bought them i dont want to be spending on rear rotors. Lol, i still need to the do the motor mount . I usually feel the back end vibrating before the steering wheel, but it should be the other way around as most of the braking is on the front, which is why im also inclined to beleive that its hard to warp back rotors.
Old 03-21-11, 08:57 PM
Rey
Pole Position

If youre feeling vibrations through the shifter, more then likely your trans/engine mounts are bad.
Old 03-21-11, 09:58 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by Rey
If youre feeling vibrations through the shifter, more then likely your trans/engine mounts are bad.
to clarify the vibration is only when braking. Besides the point i changed the tranny mount and engine mounts are due next after the vibration when braking is delt with as it is a safety issue. To put it simply what are the symptoms of the rear carrier arm bushings gone bad?
Old 03-21-11, 11:12 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard brake..Clunk. Gas it from stopped and clunk again. Hit a dip or speed bump clunk, clunk....thats what I remembered from mine. You may want to do the strut rod bushings and rear trailing arm too. I did all those to make sure
Old 03-22-11, 12:42 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

A warped rotor with any of these suspensions bushing going south is going to become more obvious. As well, it may be coming back up the drive shaft if the tranny mount is also gone. Lots to potentially replace.

How many miles on the car? I suspect it will be like many of us here who are having to go through the suspension to get it tight again.
Old 03-22-11, 08:35 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
A warped rotor with any of these suspensions bushing going south is going to become more obvious. As well, it may be coming back up the drive shaft if the tranny mount is also gone. Lots to potentially replace.

How many miles on the car? I suspect it will be like many of us here who are having to go through the suspension to get it tight again.
200 000 miles or 320 000km. I replaced upper control arms my self and lower ball joints were done in the shop (winter). I was still getting a popping noise from the front driver side fender sometimes over really unlevel road i took it back to the mechanic, he said everything in the front end was really tight but he predicts one of my wheel bearings might need changing soon, dont remember which one but wouldnt i hear it howling??? I do hear something rattling from the driver tire when braking. As mentioned before i changed the tranny mount!, lol. than i heard rear carrier arm bushings for brake vibrations in the rear end...I figure it was cheaper than spending on rear rotors that looked fine and had been replaced at around 290 000km from the previous owner (receipt proof). So i guess i will see...at any rate they looked fairly easy to replace.
Old 03-22-11, 08:37 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by jasonm
Hard brake..Clunk. Gas it from stopped and clunk again. Hit a dip or speed bump clunk, clunk....thats what I remembered from mine. You may want to do the strut rod bushings and rear trailing arm too. I did all those to make sure
lol ok random question for you, your rims on the car....since they are 20's how hard do they ride? did you notice it mess up your supension at all and feel the road alot more?
Old 03-23-11, 12:41 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

That's correct wheel bearings going bad generally make a "howling" sound.
If you've had to replace your upper arms and lower ball joints already then your "strut bar" rubber cushions are probably bad.

I posted a diagram of the front suspension on this thread for the same problem you're having.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-breaking.html

If your transmission is leaking... the ATF will always drips towards the rear tranmission mount. The ATF then saturates the rubber mount, making it really,really soft. Therefore it may not look broken but it will feel like a broken mount.

Choritsu-shi
Old 03-23-11, 09:05 AM
kuziwk
Driver

The upper control arms didnt actually need replacing i did it because it was cheap plus it had the upper ball joints already on it, the lower ball joints were bad so i just did both. My mechanic said everything is fine in the front end, but its possible the strut bushings are not the greatest. But this is still unrelated to the rear vibrations.

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
That's correct wheel bearings going bad generally make a "howling" sound.
If you've had to replace your upper arms and lower ball joints already then your "strut bar" rubber cushions are probably bad.

I posted a diagram of the front suspension on this thread for the same problem you're having.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-breaking.html

If your transmission is leaking... the ATF will always drips towards the rear tranmission mount. The ATF then saturates the rubber mount, making it really,really soft. Therefore it may not look broken but it will feel like a broken mount.

Choritsu-shi
Old 03-23-11, 07:47 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

i do have same clicking or poping noise from front of the car and after checking suspension yeasterday mechanic told me that strut rod bushings need to be changed
Old 03-23-11, 08:30 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by chicov8
i do have same clicking or poping noise from front of the car and after checking suspension yeasterday mechanic told me that strut rod bushings need to be changed
at any rate, these brakes are safety issue so i need to deal with them first. I will have to do the strut rods eventually though too.

anyone know of any cheap strut rods or maybe just the bushings?
Old 03-23-11, 11:34 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Originally Posted by kuziwk
The upper control arms didnt actually need replacing i did it because it was cheap plus it had the upper ball joints already on it, the lower ball joints were bad so i just did both. My mechanic said everything is fine in the front end, but its possible the strut bushings are not the greatest. But this is still unrelated to the rear vibrations.

at any rate, these brakes are safety issue so i need to deal with them first. I will have to do the strut rods eventually though too.

anyone know of any cheap strut rods or maybe just the bushings?
Actually they are all safety issues, bad ball joints are more life threatening than warped rotors. Damaged strut bar cushions can cause you to lose control under hard braking.

As chicoV8 mentioned I associated your popping noise up front to the strut bar cushions. I don't know if the actual cushions/bushings are available separately from Lexus. If they are... In advance, just make sure your mechanic has access to a machine press to press the old cushions out and to press the new cushions back in.

Rear vibrations while braking could be subframe mounts bushings suspension bushings or even worn shocks... if your rear rotors are bad you should be able to feel it in your brake pedal.

Choritsu-shi

Quick Reply: Vibration when braking, bushings?