LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 11:32 AM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 LS400 fuel filter location

im trying to change my fuel filter but cant find it for nothing I've looked all over the car and find it can some one assist please...
Old 02-20-11, 12:01 PM
dvourthis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/fuelfilter.html
Old 02-20-11, 12:47 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

I've looked in that area and all i see is the lines. i looked on driver and passenger side and nothing
Old 02-20-11, 05:40 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by yuyo
I've looked in that area and all i see is the lines. i looked on driver and passenger side and nothing
Not being a hard-*** but next time try using the search button. You would have had your answer 6 hours ago. I used your title and came up with this. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-location.html On 96 it is located up on the body in front of the rear differential. This thread shows a pic in post #13.
That link is only for the 90-94.
The following users liked this post:
joetee (07-09-23)
Old 02-20-11, 08:17 PM
dvourthis
Rookie

my bad, good catch.
Old 02-20-11, 08:51 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

thanks will do the change soon as the sun comes up......
Old 02-20-11, 09:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

to be honest, unless your car has like >240k miles on it or ran on fuel from mexico, you most likely dont need to change the fuel filter...

toyota uses "lifetime" filters which actually do last a REALLY LONG TIME! that's why they put the filters in such difficult to access places (like above the subframe...) so that people (and mechanics) dont constantly try to change them out.
joetee (07-09-23)
Old 02-21-11, 09:32 AM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
to be honest, unless your car has like >240k miles on it or ran on fuel from mexico, you most likely dont need to change the fuel filter...

toyota uses "lifetime" filters which actually do last a REALLY LONG TIME! that's why they put the filters in such difficult to access places (like above the subframe...) so that people (and mechanics) dont constantly try to change them out.
i understand they are great but this car in particular was sitting for almost 2 years and I would hate for that old gas if possible to damage the engine so to be safe I just want to replace it.......
Old 02-21-11, 09:45 AM
Mega
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

I dont believe this.

They are cheap, and fairly easy to replace. I picked up some gas mileage when replacing mine at 140k miles.
Old 02-21-11, 03:04 PM
yahoo_san
Driver School Candidate

Not always an easy job. It took me over 6 hours to replace mine.. The threading for the hardlines had small cracks so I kept having redo the threading with teflon over and over again until it stopped leaking. Just make sure you have some handy incase you run into the same problem i had..
Old 02-21-11, 03:10 PM
Imperium11
Driver

gasoline eats teflon tape just so you know
joetee (07-09-23)
Old 02-21-11, 04:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mega
I dont believe this.

They are cheap, and fairly easy to replace. I picked up some gas mileage when replacing mine at 140k miles.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...uel-Filter-Faq!

i wouldnt go lifetime, but 200k miles or 20 years sounds reasonable to me, unless you live in a place where the gas has twigs and crap in it...
Old 02-22-11, 03:25 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

So I found the fuel filter is located around the passenger rear tire.. Took one side out and got a shower in gas and it wouldn't stop so i just screwed the hose back on.. Never will i attempt this ever ever ever again....
joetee (07-09-23)
Old 02-22-11, 04:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Lex/Toyota tech I talked to about changing mine asked me if the car has had gas from a third world country of lower gas standards. I said no. He said the cars he's worked on, the fuel filters are clean and gas stateside in terms of particulates isn't a concern. I didn't have to do the 60K service interval. For all my cars that have those translucent types you easily plug in-out, none of them have been filled with crud to concern me.

There are exceptions so you have to determine if that filter is worth it. Dealer asks $120 for the service. Outside shops will charge about $65-$75 including filter.

I have a new Toyota filter so if you want it PM me for price and shipping.
Old 02-22-11, 04:23 PM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yuyo
So I found the fuel filter is located around the passenger rear tire.. Took one side out and got a shower in gas and it wouldn't stop so i just screwed the hose back on.. Never will i attempt this ever ever ever again....
Hah, I had this happen too. Ended up with a container full of about two gallons of gas, several dissolved latex gloves, several articles of clothing soaked in gas, a large gas soaked piece of concrete, and an uncomfortable burning sensation...

I got it changed, but it left me wishing I had done what I did with my Cressida; take it down to the gas station and pay someone 20$ to sweat and swear at it.

Quick Reply: 96 LS400 fuel filter location