LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 LS400 engine stumbles or hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 11:16 AM
67rivdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Purevenom1
I am looking into getting the capacitors shortly but just have to make sure I get the correct ones. Anyone know which ones will and will not work.

100UF10V 105 degree C H9235 C105
10UF50V 105 degree C H9235 C103

Havent looked at RadioShack yet but I doubt they have them. But hopefully they will.
Check

http://www.digikey.com/?curr=USD

as well. Good luck!
Old 02-10-11, 03:21 AM
zukikat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope those obviously bad cap's fix your problem but I suspect that there will be more electrolytic cap's that are out of spec but haven't gone leaky yet. I'll be curious to see your results.
I swapped out my car's ECU today with a different P/N ECU from a junkyard and I think this junkyard ECU also has issues because my car still isn't totally "right", it's shifting very differently (gentle/loose/slow but as-needed) and instead of idling normal or really low at random the idle is far too high at all times now but it fires right up and always flashes the "all good" whenever I try to pull diag codes and it's completely drivable on this ECU so far which is a HUGE improvement...
So the quest for a truly good ECU for my 94 base-model LS will now begin.
Old 02-10-11, 12:45 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Well I ordered the capacitors today from Digikey. Hopefully they will be here this w/e. Ordered all of the caps on the board just to be safe than sorry. Geuss I will have to wait and see til this w/e if they come in or not if it takes care of the issue. Will update as it progresses
Old 02-10-11, 05:45 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

All I can say is wow. Digikey is the place. I ordered 4 of each caps on the board and shipping and the caps were only $10.24. They may be here this w/e. USPS First Class Mail.
Old 02-11-11, 09:10 PM
zukikat
Rookie

Yeah they have good prices for just about every electronic component they sell and they've been around for a few decades at least...
Old 02-12-11, 05:36 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Well my caps came in the mail today while I was at the junk yard looking for Lexus parts. Found a few 91/92 LS400 out there and one that they marked as an ES300 but it was a 93 LS400 but someone already had gotten to the ECM. Fortunately I was able to get the gauge cluster out thou. They had a few more out there but most was already skimmed over.

Hopefully going to get a chance to replace the caps tomorrow but I will see.
Old 02-12-11, 09:23 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope that is the culprit. I have the same intermittent problem and I traced it to the TPS harness. I have not replaced the harness but just made sure the pin sockets are properly touching the TPS.
Old 02-20-11, 01:56 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default update

Well my caps came in the mail today while I was at the junk yard looking for Lexus parts. Found a few 91/92 LS400 out there and one that they marked as an ES300 but it was a 93 LS400 but someone already had gotten to the ECM. Fortunately I was able to get the gauge cluster out thou. They had a few more out there but most was already skimmed over.

Hopefully going to get a chance to replace the caps tomorrow but I will see.
How you made out?
Old 02-23-11, 01:22 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Ok sorry for it taking so long to come back and update but that still didnt fix the da** issue. It was doing good for a short while and then it started back. So I am back at the same spot as I started. It is still throwing the same code 41 as it was before.
Old 02-23-11, 02:07 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Ok sorry for it taking so long to come back and update but that still didnt fix the da** issue. It was doing good for a short while and then it started back. So I am back at the same spot as I started. It is still throwing the same code 41 as it was before.
That sucks man, I really thought ya had it there.
Old 02-23-11, 02:44 PM
twofanman
Rookie

I assume you've gone through all the test procedures in the RM. And you've repaired some obviously bad capacitors in your ECU. Might be time to send your ECU to a shop and let them go through it. Maybe there is more trouble that is not obvious with a visual examination of the boards.
Old 02-23-11, 02:59 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twofanman
I assume you've gone through all the test procedures in the RM. And you've repaired some obviously bad capacitors in your ECU. Might be time to send your ECU to a shop and let them go through it. Maybe there is more trouble that is not obvious with a visual examination of the boards.
All of the caps were replaced except for 2 due to Digikey sending the wrong ones. Ordered correct ones and on the invoice but worng ones were packaged. But those 2 didnt seem to have any issue w/ them on the board. They could have since I am not sure of the schematic of the board. got a few more cars to get done w. first and then I am going to check the harness for the tps going to the ecu.
Old 02-25-11, 02:19 PM
blunden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to see whether there is loose insulation from the car hood blocking the air intake? (You can try running the car with the hood up.)
Old 02-26-11, 11:08 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blunden
Have you checked to see whether there is loose insulation from the car hood blocking the air intake? (You can try running the car with the hood up.)
Doesnt matter if hood is up or down. It still does it. You can clear the codes from it. Turn the key on and press the gas all the way down and the code comes back. Had to take a break from it for a little while as I have other cars to get through at the moment that are fairly quick fixes. Hopefully going to be able to get back on it in a week or so.
Old 02-26-11, 11:10 PM
Purevenom1
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone else ever found a definite solution to this as all of the threads that were started kinda faded out. I mean what is the point of having a forum such as this and many others if the thread starters never update their thread and give us some sort of idea what fixed theirs. Just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: 1993 LS400 engine stumbles or hesitation