LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Plastic crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 10:58 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plastic crap

Hi folks,

I'm just kind of seeking opinions from DIYers here. Most of the cars I've purchased haven't had the plastic engine underscuttle still in place; enough years and hitting a few curbs and the thing is gone, trashed years ago. Obviously the new cars I've had DO have all that stuff, but have been under warranty, so I never mess with them.

Also, most of the cars I've bought haven't had engine-top decorative covers. Those that have, I generally take off the plastic and leave it in the shed. The Mercedes are an exception because the decorative cover doubles as a resonator. But they're also SUPER easy to get off - two clips on the front and two swivel points on the back. It's a 2-second job to remove them.

I took off the engine cover from my LS400. It also had both pieces of the 'underscuttle' which were a real PITA to remove; you can't jack the car from the center of the crossmember with those plastic pieces in place. So you have to jack one side at the hardpoint and reach under and unscrew. Not as difficult if it's on a lift or ramps but if you need the wheels in the air, it's a lot of pre-work just to get the car up.

What do you guys usually do with the plastic bits? Do you leave them off or do you put them back on every time you need to get under the car? It looks like you have to take them off to get the oil filter off too - that's a ROYAL PITA.

I know they help keep rocks and debris out of the engine, and probably help with wind/road noise, but I've driven cars for many years and many tens of thousands of miles without those covers and had only ONE issue, ever, which was still relatively minor.

Thoughts / opinions?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-11, 11:11 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Up to you. I keep them on...helps direct some of the under car airflow past the engine bay so that all the road grime doesn't get all swirled around inside the engine bay. When I need to access the oil filter or check other underside components, it is easily removed. 6 bolts across the front and two mid-point and two rear. Takes me about 5 minutes or such. Not a lot of time.
Old 01-15-11, 11:13 AM
andyman32
Rookie

But do you put it up on ramps or a lift, or do you use a floor jack?

The more annoying one is the 2nd one - the rearward one that attaches to the crossmember. You can't really get to it without the car being a bit raised, but the crossmember is the way to raise the car.
Old 01-15-11, 11:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

If they put it there it is there for a reason. I like it, like ya said, it keeps out rocks and debris. Plus, Idk about where you live but, it keeps all the snow and salty slush out of the engine bay. Jacking up one side of the car at a time only takes an extra 5 minutes so in my opinion it's well worth it, even if I need to go inside to find another bolt that fits b/c I always lose atleast one.
Old 01-15-11, 11:22 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Yeah... well, fair enough. I guess you guys think, if you have it, use it. I think up in CT you've got more to worry about splashing & kicking up into the engine bay. I'm in NC and there isn't much other than water that's likely to get up there. Even in the worst rain it won't get much more than the oil pan wet.

I do wish they could have at least offered a gap for the oil filter though.
Old 01-15-11, 11:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I made up some ramps that are about 2.5" high. This allows me enough room to allow access to what I need. Only PITA is I would need another 1" to have comfortable access to the tranny drain bolt.

The only time I have to use the floor jack is to rotate tires. If the car needs a lift, it is likely a service I wouldn't do in my garage. Like suspension or such.
Old 01-15-11, 11:40 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Well - you have to use a lift or jack & stands for more than just that. I've got mine up right now, just the front end, and the wheels off to replace the sway bar bushings and links. And I am not optimistic that it will fix the 'clunk' in the front end... next target is probably the ball joints. Visually, everything looks PERFECT, strut bar bushings included. That's why I'm not sure whether I want to put those covers back on, or just stow them in the shed. I'm going to need to lift the car on & off for the next couple of months until I replace whatever the thing is causing that clunk.

I also don't have a garage so it's a double-PITA to have to do all of this on the driveway in winter time. But car repairs wait for no man! So if I'm laying on my back on an inch-thick layer of ice (as is often the case in NC), such is life.

I'm also lazy but... that goes without saying. I also like beer. That also goes without saying.

Still going to be a couple of years before we buy a move-up house or build a garage...
Old 01-15-11, 11:42 AM
SRV1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually jack it up on the side where the scissor jack goes. It is a pain but it is safe and this way does not damage anything. I also use a piece of wood on my jack.

James
Old 01-15-11, 11:49 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Originally Posted by SRV1
I actually jack it up on the side where the scissor jack goes. It is a pain but it is safe and this way does not damage anything. I also use a piece of wood on my jack.
Oh - yeah, well, that's the hardpoint. I also use that w/ a piece of wood over the jack to get it up on one side. If you just need to get under the car (like to remove the coverings) or just need one tire off the ground, of course that's fine. But if you need to do work on the front suspension you need both wheels off the ground and the only way to do that is jacking the middle of the crossmember. I also put wood between my floor stands and the hardpoints on both sides.

The Jag (link would be in my footer but they apparently took away my footer as punishment for being relatively new to the forum) has steel bars welded in at the hardpoints on all 4 corners. It's wonderful, jack it under the crossmember and rest those bars right in the jack stands and the car rests perfectly stable.

:beerchugr:
Old 01-15-11, 11:50 AM
andyman32
Rookie

wow, it's magic... my footer is back. I'm a real person now! I redact my earlier comment.