LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does Seafoam really work

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 12:15 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtoden1
I know this is an exception but I used it and had seal problems that cost me $720.00.
This stuff worked so good that it cleaned something that was keeping the seal from leaking.
You aren't the first to mention this. I think Lexus is less prone to this though. Some other cars...especially those that are turbocharged... seem to be alot more likely to develop seal problems.

A little dirt can be good for you(your car..I mean) sometimes
Old 12-11-10, 03:19 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

I know this is an exception but I used it and had seal problems that cost me $720.00.
This stuff worked so good that it cleaned something that was keeping the seal from leaking.
HOW YOU USED YOUR SEA FOAM?? SEE STUFF LIKE THIS SCARES ME TO USE IT
Old 12-12-10, 10:17 AM
gtoden1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used it just the way others on here did.
Old 12-12-10, 11:03 AM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

The way i do it is, about 100 miles before an oil change i put seafoam in my Vac lines and oil, then a fresh oil change a hundred miles later so it doesnt stay in there and eat away at the internals.......works very well. Also add lucas gas treatment to my tank, also works well
Old 12-18-10, 11:26 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

You know I had good luck with it too, I used it on my high mileage 90 Celica and it burnt out some of the carbon deposits in my EGR, fixed some idle problems, Seafoam is about the only snake oil that I endorse!
Old 12-19-10, 08:17 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Many manufactures use similar products to seafoam. If you search, one such product used by GM is called "GM Top End Cleaner". Essentially it is the same logic applied to a slightly different formula of liquid.

I use it in all of my vehicles. From the 1UZ in the Lexus to the LS2 in my GTO and 4 cylinder in my beater Saturn and finally the LT1 in the Z28. Each vehicle seems to enjoy the benefits of the carbon cleaning.

Follow the directions, run it through the brake booster and have fun with the smoke show.
Old 12-19-10, 04:03 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

Did you use it in the gas tank or pour some in the crankcase or did you use the vacuum line ingestion technique?
Old 12-19-10, 06:37 PM
gtoden1
Driver

Vacuum line and gas tank.
Old 01-12-11, 02:34 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seafoam is the only cleaner that cleans my exhaust tips to shiney metal again when added to the gas. So I know if it does that it is cleaning the rest of the system even better.
To be effective in the gas it needs to be driven at highway speeds for atleast an hour for maximum results idle and stop and go traffic is not going to do it.
Old 01-12-11, 02:46 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

I have been using seafoam since it was recommended to me. It gets the jobe done for my engine. Since my car has over 235k miles, I use it every four months and my engine runs like a charm. One of my friends who owns a LS400 said he was going to use Z-Max along with Seafoam--to me, this might be overkill but I'll let you all know what his results were--but for me, Seafoam is more than adequete and yes--I pour it in my gas tank and I've had no problem with my fuel filter...
Old 01-13-11, 08:53 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Before you use Seafoam through the vacuum line, try using water first. Water decarbonization has been around before these solvent cleaners hit the market. To me, it's more effective in most applications, which is probably why I don't buy Seafoam anymore. $8/can vs $0.25/gallon.
I've used it through the brake vacuum line. Did no apparent harm. Tough to tell if it helped anything.

The water approach mentioned above does sound reasonable. Anyone else with thoughts on that?

I have not done anything with it, but I came across the following homebrew recipe for Seafoam:
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html
Old 04-27-11, 08:59 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Hey folks, I'm going to share my seafoam experience. I have to say It works for sure and Lucas gas treatment also works well.

I sucked 6 oz into the brake booster line of both mine and my father's 99 LS's yesterday, waited a little over 15 minutes and started mine up first. "Poof" I was surprised at how little smoke came out, it was like two people exhaling cigarette smoke. Thats it. You have to step on the gas a little upon starting to prevent stalling.

Next up my dad starts his and wow no smoke at all. I was shocked! After a couple minutes of revving we head to our mechanic to get oil changes and drop mine off first. We head to Micky D's to grab a bite, when we started my dads car to head back to the shop, poof he had a little more smoke than mine.

So you may be asking, well if your car didn't smoke that much why do you think it works? I'll tell you why. My father and I both use Lucas gas treatment regularly so this explains why we had so little smoke after the seafoam treatment. To me this shows that both products work really well because a seafoam treatment usually results in a "smoke show" and we didn't because our engines were pretty darn clean already.

We have both noticed a little more pickup and a smoother idle.

Bottom line is Seafoam and Lucas works so Use them.
Old 05-10-11, 09:04 PM
philboyj
Driver School Candidate

First time Sea Foam user here. I had a P0430 check engine light on my 2004 LS 430 and it would intermittently go away but in the recent few days, it was on full time.

Did my research about sea-foam, seems complicated at first but once you read up enough and see that you can easily find the brake booster line, it was a piece of cake.

I put 1/2 can of seafoam in my gas tank( less than quarter tank gas) and the other half via the brake booster line. Waited for 10-15 minutes and it was a smoke show - revved the engine and also drove aggressively for about 5 - 10 minutes till the smoke subsided.

I reset the check engine light and it hasn't come back for 3 days now. Hopefully I wouldn't see it again. I added a second can of seafoam into the gas tank and filled it up full.The car feels so much smoother and quieter - certainly an improvement. My tank average hit 30 mpg on highway driving - something I've never seen before.

I plan to use it in the crankcase oil before my next oil change - hoping for better engine performance and better mpg. The seafoam website is also very useful and it clears a lot of myths - like the myth that says its not good for fuel pumps / filters and also to get precise usage instructions. http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Hope this helps

Philip John
www.usamagnum.com
Old 05-11-11, 06:57 PM
whiteivory
Pole Position

ditto on that.
Shortly after seafoam, crankshaft seal gave.
My theory is that it was bad to begin with, and some of the crud was actually holding it together or something.
Old 05-23-11, 10:42 PM
CarCrazy24
Driver School Candidate

I'm hesitant as well, not sure whether to add it to the tank or through a vacuum line.

Quick Reply: Does Seafoam really work