LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone had any problems with their LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 11:39 AM
Z400Central
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had any problems with their LS430?

Im looking at the new LS430's and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with them at all? Im asking simply because, I thought chevy was rock solid, now i come to find out that their going down hill. So any problems at all, list them! thanks!
Old 07-16-02, 01:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

If you think (or thought) a chevy was "rock solid" the LS will be nothing but a problem-free vehicle for you! They really are very reliable and have very few problems (if any) from what I've heard. Better than any ohter car in its class for sure.
Old 07-16-02, 03:12 PM
stylingal
Driver

Hi Z400Central,

We have a 93, 99 and 01 LS (I drive 00 RX). (Can you tell we're Lexus FANATICS!!)

Let me tell you all the cars have been and still are wonderful! We are very committed to taking care of the cars so we do the necessary tune-ups, oil changes, etc. etc. and haven't ever had any major problems. Can't say enough great things about all our cars in terms of reliability.

As for the new LS430 specifically, no engine or performance problems at all- except for the cup holders, they don't grip the cup tight enough. Other than that, no complaints.

I strongly recommend the car if you're looking in that class.
Let us know what you decide!
StylinGal
Old 07-16-02, 09:43 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newer Chevys and GMs are reliable. A V8 Chevy will last about as long as a Lexus. A V8 Chevy truck will last longer. I also have a 98 Olds Cutlass V6 and with 50k hard driven miles it has had no problems.
Old 07-21-02, 02:57 PM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Yes, there are big problems. I bought a new 2001 LS430 a year ago. The alignment is already out at 15k km. There is another major problem. I was driving in a rainy day when suddenly the gas gauge display went down to nothing, the hi/lo beam control went out (only low beam), the sound control was out, the dimm light control for the instrument panel was out (at its full intensity that shined into my eyes and made highway driving at night very uncomfortable). The problems were cleared when I re-started the engine. The problems recurred the 2nd day and then I also found that all memory seats were gone, trunk releases (both manual and remote) were out as well. Lexus Canada witnessed the problems when they were duplicated the third time but unable to find the cause. They decided to change the battery. It appears to me that the onboard computer needs re-boot when moisture in the air goes too high. Lexus refuses to guarantee if ABS and airbags are working during the defective condition. It could be a lemon, but for a car manufacturer claiming to do "relentless pursuit of perfection" there should be no lemon. The computer problem may be much bigger than Lexus would like to admit.
Old 07-21-02, 05:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LS430-Cda
Yes, there are big problems. I bought a new 2001 LS430 a year ago. The alignment is already out at 15k km. There is another major problem. I was driving in a rainy day when suddenly the gas gauge display went down to nothing, the hi/lo beam control went out (only low beam), the sound control was out, the dimm light control for the instrument panel was out (at its full intensity that shined into my eyes and made highway driving at night very uncomfortable). The problems were cleared when I re-started the engine. The problems recurred the 2nd day and then I also found that all memory seats were gone, trunk releases (both manual and remote) were out as well. Lexus Canada witnessed the problems when they were duplicated the third time but unable to find the cause. They decided to change the battery. It appears to me that the onboard computer needs re-boot when moisture in the air goes too high. Lexus refuses to guarantee if ABS and airbags are working during the defective condition. It could be a lemon, but for a car manufacturer claiming to do "relentless pursuit of perfection" there should be no lemon. The computer problem may be much bigger than Lexus would like to admit.
wow that sucks.

Could you post some pics of your LS?
Old 07-21-02, 06:00 PM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexRX
If you think (or thought) a chevy was "rock solid" the LS will be nothing but a problem-free vehicle for you! They really are very reliable and have very few problems (if any) from what I've heard. Better than any ohter car in its class for sure.
Don't jump to the conclusion as yet. I have so much trouble with my LS430 that no other vehicle has ever had. See my posting LS430-cda. I had many cars before from basics to luxury and have 4 now including LS430. It turns out that LS430 is the least reliable one.

If you have one, try to drive it in a rainy day on highway for a couple of hours and see if you can duplicate the problems I have. it's bad. If you have similar problems, make sure Lexus USA can guarantee that ABS and others are working under the defective condition.
Old 07-21-02, 06:06 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Don't jump to the conclusion as yet. I have so much trouble with my LS430 that no other vehicle has ever had. See my posting LS430-cda. I had many cars before from basics to luxury and have 4 now including LS430. It turns out that LS430 is the least reliable one.

If you have one, try to drive it in a rainy day on highway for a couple of hours and see if you can duplicate the problems I have. it's bad. If you have similar problems, make sure Lexus USA can guarantee that ABS and others are working under the defective condition.
Well the our LS430 has been nothing but enjoyment (no problems at all). We have a 2001 as well. And I know many other people who own LS430's who have had no problems at all. So..not sure why your car has a lot of defective problems on it.
Old 07-21-02, 06:20 PM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LS400 GOD

Well the our LS430 has been nothing but enjoyment (no problems at all). We have a 2001 as well. And I know many other people who own LS430's who have had no problems at all. So..not sure why your car has a lot of defective problems on it.
I guess I am not as lucky as you folks. As I suggested that you may want to try it in a rainy day at highway speed for a while and see if similar problem will develop. If not, maybe I've got a lemon. But a lemon from Lexus? It should never happen. I bought it for enjoyment and for a peace of mind like every one else who owns it. I liked it very much until this problem developed. If you like it that's good. Just watch out for it. I can't trust it until this problem is resolved.
Old 07-21-02, 06:28 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

I guess I am not as lucky as you folks. As I suggested that you may want to try it in a rainy day at highway speed for a while and see if similar problem will develop. If not, maybe I've got a lemon. But a lemon from Lexus? It should never happen. I bought it for enjoyment and for a peace of mind like every one else who owns it. I liked it very much until this problem developed. If you like it that's good. Just watch out for it. I can't trust it until this problem is resolved.
Hmm..sorry to hear that problem. Has your dealership taken any initiative to solve the problem in your LS430? I'm not worried about my or familys' cars. Been nothing but trouble free for us. We have been Lexus owners basically since 1990 (or 1991, I forget..). I hope that Lexus can run a diagnostic on your car and solve the problem once and for all.
Old 07-21-02, 07:00 PM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Hmm..sorry to hear that problem. Has your dealership taken any initiative to solve the problem in your LS430? I'm not worried about my or familys' cars. Been nothing but trouble free for us. We have been Lexus owners basically since 1990 (or 1991, I forget..). I hope that Lexus can run a diagnostic on your car and solve the problem once and for all.
Thx for the advice. The dealer and Lexus Canada could not find the cause of the problems after 10 days in the shop even when the problems were fully duplicated. I suspect that perhaps the problems were too serious that they just tried to bully me thru this and rely on past reputation to defend them. All they did was to replace the battery after I was fed up for leaving the car in the shop indefinitely and demanded a replacement. I liked the car very much until this problem developed. I think it's their on-board computer which maybe sensitive to moisture. I envy you have a car without problems, but just watch out for it when you drive in a rainy day for long distance. I'd like to know if similar problems will develop or if I'm simply unlucky to get a lemon. Any advice is truly appreciated.
Old 07-21-02, 07:11 PM
LS430-Cda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

wow that sucks.

Could you post some pics of your LS?
I'll post it when I get my digicam out tomorrow. You're right it's a beautiful car that sucks. If Lexus cannot solve this problem it will be an expensive junk for me to own it. I can't drive it with a peace of mind.
Old 07-21-02, 07:27 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

I'll post it when I get my digicam out tomorrow. You're right it's a beautiful car that sucks. If Lexus cannot solve this problem it will be an expensive junk for me to own it. I can't drive it with a peace of mind.
I would request that you dealership's master technician would need to run a full diagnostic on your car (or anything to locate the source of the problem). Obviously (from the defects that your LS430 has), your car has a problem and needs to have a full diagnostic check run on your car. That's what I would do (for the moment).
Old 07-21-02, 11:38 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

With a shelf life of 400,000 miles before a major rebuild, the 1UZ-FE will outlast most diesel motors, forget regular GM V8s! The 2UZ-FE was built to be more reliable, troublefree, and easier/quicker to diagnose and fix than the 1UZ. Depends on your definition of "rock solid", but compared to Lexus motors, the Chevys are not "rock solid". I could go into details, but if no one else objects, I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-22-02, 03:33 AM
LS430defect
Driver School Candidate

I would request that you dealership's master technician would need to run a full diagnostic on your car (or anything to locate the source of the problem). Obviously (from the defects that your LS430 has), your car has a problem and needs to have a full diagnostic check run on your car. That's what I would do (for the moment).
Thx for your advice. That's what I'll do this morning. In fact, lately my rain sensor seems to behave strangely too. I know in a very hot day, it will wipe a couple of times according to the manual and it does. But it also wiped at 27C and 28C a couple of times while I was driving and the weather was perfectly clear. I want them all checked out at the same time. I may have to ask government to investigate this rainy day symdrom too if Lexus cannot resolve this problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone had any problems with their LS430?