LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trac light guide...simple

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 08:29 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac light guide...simple

So like most i had the trac light 19. I just wanted to share with everyone a quick fix which has worked for me so far, i will keep updates if something changes. Before you go replacing the accumulator and the pump just have a quick read through.

The problem: trac 19-the pump has run more the expected).
Lexus Trac systems have been using DOT 3 brake fluid ever since i don't know when. DOT 3 has a low boiling point compared to DOT 4, bubbles start to form when the fluid ages, and mixed with moisture creates steam. The steam some how creates pressure in the accumulator or somewhere and i think there is a safe valve which opens up, but than you lose all the pressure. The TRAC pump only runs a set number of times to pressure up before the light comes on.

The fix: first off, you can put DOT 3 in but i would put DOT 4. There is a bleed valve on the pump, which is located under the air intake. Start by removing the air filter, than the air intake right up to the throttle body. Plug in your bleeder tube and open the valve, it doesn't matter if you get oil on the engine, just don't get it on the body paint. Oil will shoot out, now open your master cylinder and have your oil ready. Now the trick is too put the intake on without the filter and have the mass airflow sensor plugged in (the metal bracket looking piece after the filter element), so don't rev the engine or do this when its windy/dusty out. Start the car, and pour the oil in making sure not to let it run at the min line, otherwise you will have to fill and restart the engine as it shuts off the pump. Do the same for the accumulator which is located under the plastic cover held on by clips on the far right side corner of the engine bay, by the hood strut (driver side).

When your all done pump the brakes a bunch of times and top off the master cylinder to a good level, otherwise the brake light will come on when the oil sloshes around and the trac system wont even work. Next step is to clear the codes by stepping on the brake quickly, eight times within three seconds of starting the LS. There is more info on clearing and diagnosing codes on lexls.com but im surprised this quick fix isn't on the site, considering how common it is.

By the end of the day, your enjoyment when driving the car will return, plus a sense of accomplishment. I can provide pictures if requested, but its really not necessary.
Old 09-09-10, 04:57 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, this is great info.

If you can put up pictures of the bleed valves locations, that would be great.
Old 09-09-10, 05:53 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea for sure, its cold and raining right now so hopefully tomorrow. Let me know how it works for you guys.