LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coach Edition Leather color?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 06:34 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coach Edition Leather color?

Hi, does anyone know what color leather the Coach Edition came with in '97?

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/lexuscolrchart.htm

My front passenger seat is beginning to crack (just the surface top coat), and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

My guess is one of those Ivory colors, but which one?

LX05 or LX06?
Old 08-05-10, 07:43 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Bah, I bought both of them. I will let you guys know what color it ends up being! (Hopefully one of the two)
Old 08-05-10, 09:46 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Bah, I bought both of them. I will let you guys know what color it ends up being! (Hopefully one of the two)
I cant give you a number, but here is what my CE looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Coach Edition Leather color?-101_1216.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 08-05-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 09:52 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks really good Billy-D, was this done with the leathermagic product? how difficult was it? I already have a bad tear in my driver seat and the top of the back seats. previous owner didnt condition them at all apparently
Old 08-05-10, 12:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Marklouis
looks really good Billy-D, was this done with the leathermagic product? how difficult was it? I already have a bad tear in my driver seat and the top of the back seats. previous owner didnt condition them at all apparently
NO, it is all original, my LS has 249k, but this interior came out of a low mileage 97 coach edition car I bought just for the interior. I swapped them out and sold it.... maybe you could do the same???? the coachs have prettier light wood trim than the standard.

Last edited by billydpowe; 08-13-10 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-07-10, 05:36 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

here is a better photo...

Attached Thumbnails Coach Edition Leather color?-100_1760.jpg  
Old 08-11-10, 12:52 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

It does have a prettier light wood trim. Unfortunately, mine are starting to crack from the heat.
Old 08-12-10, 05:51 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Very nice - Im sure switching out the seats were fairly easy, and you probably made up pretty good cost differrence selling the Black 97 after the seats swap rather than having your original seats professionally re-upholstered.

by the way, is there much difference between Coach and Standard editions?

Thanks,
Old 08-12-10, 06:22 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

I wonder what the color difference, if any, there is between the standard and Coach Editions (for the leather).
Old 08-12-10, 08:24 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Well I received both colors and tested them on a piece of card stock, the LX06 seems to be closer, (LX05 has a much more orange color), but they both seem too dark. Hopefully I can blend the spot that needs work in with the rest of it (I'll probably apply the product with my finger rather than use a foam brush).
Old 08-13-10, 03:54 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I wonder what the color difference, if any, there is between the standard and Coach Editions (for the leather).
I had two 97's, one CE & one std. color was the same, the wood trim was different.
IN FACT: I swapped the interiors, kept the CE and all the trim, it had a lower mileage, sold the CE car because it was OWP instead of DWP..
Old 08-13-10, 04:04 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Very nice - Im sure switching out the seats were fairly easy, and you probably made up pretty good cost differrence selling the Black 97 after the seats swap rather than having your original seats professionally re-upholstered.

by the way, is there much difference between Coach and Standard editions?

Thanks,
I cant believe I typed "black" (I just changed it) it was opal white pearl (special white color for 97 CE cars). and the only difference was looks. and I sold it for what I gave for it, so I got the interior for my "work"
ps, kept the mats (with coach edition logo) also
Old 08-13-10, 11:02 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Well, I finally started applying the product. The LX06 dye color is actually a very very close match. Unfortunately, over the years, a slight discoloration of the leather has caused the areas that I touched up to stand out, but not very noticeably. My goal here is to stop further degradation of the leather.

So for future reference, if what billydpowe says is correct, '97 LS400s have the color code LX06 on the Leather Magic website for the seat upholstery and armrests.
Old 08-16-10, 10:01 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Well, I finally started applying the product. The LX06 dye color is actually a very very close match. Unfortunately, over the years, a slight discoloration of the leather has caused the areas that I touched up to stand out, but not very noticeably. My goal here is to stop further degradation of the leather.

So for future reference, if what billydpowe says is correct, '97 LS400s have the color code LX06 on the Leather Magic website for the seat upholstery and armrests.
Thanks for the update!

how much seat coverage did the product accomplish? and was it fairly simple to use - this is my next project also, wanted a heads up on how much product to buy, because the manufacturers description is often written for the marketing value of the product, and I rather get a hands on experience description.
Old 08-20-10, 10:01 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Well, I only applied it to the 2 patches that had the cracks (ended up applying maybe 2 2x2" sections) with several coats, in order to stop the cracks from continuing. Actually, now that I think about it, I also did my driver's side armrest, and it worked perfectly for that--it's a little bit less obvious there because that area is usually in the shade, etc.

A 500cc bottle (smallest available) is probably enough to cover a whole seat, if not more, with a good amount of product. You can apply it with any cheap foam brush from Home Depot. LM sells a starter kit, though, that comes with a leather prep, conditioner, dye/paint (500cc), and brush for $50.

I previously had used LM on my steering wheel, with fairly decent results (certainly better than what it looked like before!).

Quick Reply: Coach Edition Leather color?