LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 97 Lexus LS 400 won't start after my alarm went off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 01:26 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 97 Lexus LS 400 won't start after my alarm went off?

So I locked myself out of my car by leaving my keys in the trunk while loading stuff and shut the trunk. To my horror I had to call a locksmith. They got the door open but it set off my alarm (Which I didn't even know I had!) It did something to where I couldn't open the trunk with the latch, so the next day I went to get a mechanical copy made at a Toyota/Lexus dealership. Brought it back, got my trunk open. Now My car won't start. Is there a starter kill switch on it? What can I do to reset it? Please help because I tried to reset it from an advice given by someone on the forum where I open the trunk with the key and the door with the remote door unlocks but it still doesn't work. I didn't mess up my car did I and have to get a new starter?
Old 08-02-10, 01:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Tough way to learn, yes there is a starter kill built into the car.

The '97 key has a transponder chip built into it. If the new key does not have a transponder, it will only crank the starter but not start up. That key is only good to open the doors and if a master cut, lock-unlock the glove box and trunk. If it does have a transpoder chip, it has to be programmed to the car. Instructions are available in a search for key programming.

In addition, use you prior working key. Lock-unlock the driver door with it. Insert it to ACC-On and the ECU should recognize a valid key and start the car. If not, pull the main ECU fuse for 15 seconds then re-insert and try starting, the error code will be cleared.

Last edited by RA40; 08-02-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 02:56 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm welcome RA40. I did what you suggested to the tee, and it still doesn't work. I tried it on ACC and On. Since there were 4 settings in the ignition. Lock ACC On and something else I forget. I only heard 1 click. I don't see an error message. Where would the error message display? On the display that shows the temperature? I even took out the fuse like you suggested. The ECU-B and the big fuse that said Engine. Any other ideas?
Old 08-02-10, 03:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Weird. When I've set the alarm off, unlocking the door with the key in the cylinder usually re-sets it and the usual progression to start the car, it runs.

Is the starter cranking normally? Maybe PD has some other insights and can chime in.
Old 08-02-10, 03:18 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

By cranking normally, do you mean the click click click sound. There's only 1 click sound, and when I try again there's no click sound. The check engine light and the battery light turns on. What is PD? Sorry I'm a noob
Old 08-02-10, 05:06 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

I'm reading the manual, and it says that the theft-deterrent system engages the immobilization of my engine. I think that's why it isn't turning on. Any idea how I can mobilize it again?
Old 08-02-10, 06:14 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it?

If so :

I think the problem may lie in one of the fuses or relays of one of these:
Theft deterrent
Alarm System
Immobilizer System

What I've done in the past on another car was just pull one fuse after another(one that might be related to the problem..I didn't take the head light fuses out for example) and try to crank after every fuse...

Good Luck!
Old 08-02-10, 06:22 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

When I check the fuse, can I just look to see if it's faulty or not? LIke if there is a break in the fuse coil thing.
Old 08-02-10, 06:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

97 was an odd year, it had a unique type of engine immobilizer similar to that found on '98+ cars. you need to use the key that you've been using as a mechanical key (no transponder) will not start the car.

btw, i'm "PD" lol
Old 08-02-10, 06:27 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I've been using the key that I've been using. I just needed to get a mechanical key made so I can get into the trunk where the original key I've been using was in
Old 08-02-10, 06:32 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Yes that's important to check for. Every time you pull a fuse ,try to crank and see what happens.

Before you do this though,

I would first start with disconnecting the battery.

After disconnecting it keep it disconnected for a few minutes.

Reconnect it and try try to use the remote.

Lock and unlock all the doors with the remote.

Then try to crank.

If that fails try the fuse approach

Last edited by lexuslspro; 08-02-10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 06:43 PM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lexuslspro, what if I don't have a remote? I just have the two keys. The original key i use, and the mechanical key.
Old 08-02-10, 06:49 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Yes that's important to check for. Every time you pull a fuse ,try to crank and see what happens.

Before you do this though,

I would first start with disconnecting the battery.

After disconnecting it keep it disconnected for a few minutes.

Reconnect it and try try to use the remote.

Lock and unlock all the doors with the remote.

Then try to crank.

If that fails try the fuse approach
Then I would just use the key on the drivers door to lock and unlock all the doors.

Do this in place of the italicized step.

Your very welcome!
Old 08-02-10, 10:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tryst
By cranking normally, do you mean the click click click sound. There's only 1 click sound, and when I try again there's no click sound. The check engine light and the battery light turns on. What is PD? Sorry I'm a noob
At that, I suspect that this isn't an immobilizer issue but a symptom of a dead battery or starter. Even if the ignition is locked by the system, it will crank normally. Check the battery charge and access from there. If battery shows good charge and amperage...it is the starter that many of us have gone through.

Bad news...if it is the starter, it sits beneath the intake plenum and is a PITA. There are tutorials here if you want to see what some have done. I forget what I paid, neighborhood of $800. Included a re-manufactured by Toyota starter and applicable gaskets. Other dealer shops hit $1,100. Shop around if this is the case.
Old 08-03-10, 08:01 AM
tryst
Driver School Candidate

I noticed at the bottom of the steering column above the brakes is a little black button, what does that do? There's also a hole that looks a like a 12v socket underneath.

Quick Reply: My 97 Lexus LS 400 won't start after my alarm went off?