LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

For my fellow Atlantans.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-02, 11:02 AM
paradox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For my fellow Atlantans.....

...hey gang. What's been your experiences with local dealerships here? Nalley Lexus, Hennessey Lexus etc. Trying to get a quick comparison of service levels, customer courtesy and all that good stuff. Reason I ask is... I may be getting another LS400 (93 with 110K) for a daily driver. The guy wants $10.5K, but never changed the timing belt. I was calling around trying to get estimates, and it seems like Hennessey is a little more expensive than Nalley (9 bills vs. 7 bills). But... not very familiar with any of these local dealerships, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little + or - feedback, based on your experiences with them. Thanx in advance!!
Old 07-03-02, 11:32 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Timing belt

Well my 91 is in the shop just for that as I type. It had 114k with the original belt and it about broke. It split and skipped some teeth causing some 5 of the plugs to burn up. Well anyways not only the belt should be done but the water pump too. Also while they were in there they discovered some brakects or pullies need to be replace. Then the distributor cap and some other inexpensive stuff.

The point is make sure you have a real picture of what the expense are. Do not concentrate on wether it $900 or $700, but what are they going to do for that. Also be realistic to your self in that while they have everything apart you should do some preventitive maintence.

My total bill "SO FAR" is at $1,300. I was expexting only the water pump being replace and thought it was going to only be $400 - $600 max. I was extreamly surprised!!

Good Luck
Jerry
Old 07-03-02, 01:29 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Horta. Some brake shops around Atlanta advertised there brake job for $49.99 just to take you in and you'll end up with $400.00 brake job. Both dealerships have the same standard and customer service. So, ask them is that included all the seals, thermostat and gasket +all the shop supplies...if your tensioner or pulley goes bad then they'll be extra. The location is something to considering too. Since Nalley and Hennessy both have 2 dealerships.
Old 07-03-02, 04:36 PM
paradox
Rookie

Thanks for the response, fellas. Yep, I hear ya. Both quotes supposedly included also the water pump replacement, seals, fluids and tax. Good call, VVT-i.... the other stuff's xtra, if necessary. Wonder about the $200 dollar price disparity, though.
Anyways, I'm trying to see if I can schedule a mechanical checkup of the car, before I commit to anything. We'll see what happens. I'll keep ya updated!
Horta, I feel for you, man. I hope it all turns out well in the end, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Old 07-03-02, 09:40 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank God for my mechanic on Ponce Deleon

It is hard finding good mechanics that knows about your car as much as the dealer or even close to the dealer.I have a 90 and I have had it for about 21/2yrs.I still havn't done the timing belt or the tune up.The last owner did that about 80k miles ago and since it is a non-interference engine I don't worry about it.The only reason I will change the belt is because of the water pump.I have done soo much to this ride that I have missed doing the simple stuff.I know I cannot afford the dealer especially on a 12yr old car.I also take my girlfriend's 95 legend to this mechanic.
For ex. I will be paying $300-$400(labor) for a timing belt and water pump job through him.He might even do the plugs for me with that price.
So far he has changed both my upper control arms,rear spindle,brakes,shocks and struts,thermostat,wiper relay and alternator pulley and belt tensioner.
If anyone interested here is the info:
Alex car care
404 499 0024
Mind you that this guy drives a 97 lexus 470

Last edited by blkstealthpaid4; 07-03-02 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-04-02, 07:58 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

paradox,

I have tried Nalley Lexus a couple of times and their prices were just too high. You should give John Minozzi over at Ozzi's auto in Roswell a try. He has been a mechanic for over 15 years and has worked on Lexus exclusively for nine years. When I bought my 91 LS400 he put it up on the rack and walked me around it to let me know what had been done recently and wouldn't need attention for a while (for example I thought I needed brakes but he measured them for me and said they would be fine for another 50k at least). I knew my power steering pump was leaking and Nalley wanted 870 to replace it. He got a rebuild kit and repaired it for less than 250. I thought I had a main seal leak (estimate 900 I think), he showed me where the oil dipstick actually had a gasket leak (around 70 bucks). Great shop, very nice people. 770-552-5280

feel free to pm me if you want more details,

rhlight
Old 07-07-02, 01:08 PM
LexFather

I'm not the typical Lexus customer so I'll keep my experiences to myself. Hennessy and Nally to me both do top quality work, Lexus of South Atlanta doesn't have a ******* clue. Nice people, terrible mechanics.

If you come to the meet this Saturday, you will meet guys that can reference you to their serviceman. Building a relationship is key, and I am saddned I have tried all 3 dealers.

I have made up my mind that Hennessy is the best for me. Tim Holloran was my advisor there and when they put on my cross-drilled brakes, they did a perfet job.
Old 07-07-02, 03:34 PM
paradox
Rookie

Thanks a lot for all your replies, guys. I saw the car this weekend, and I'm not interested anymore. Looks like it sustained a hit in the rear left door...it's not aligned properly. The guy claims he doesn't know anything about it. Physically, it's all scratched up too. Black car... all the scratches seems magnified on it. Leather inside shows no signs of ever being taken care of. Was at the point where I didn't even wanna negotiate the price... didn't seem like it was even worth the effort.
Hey, thanks for the contacts, though. I do appreciate all the info. I'll keep em handy for the next service on my present LS.
1SICKLEX.... I'll shoot for the next meet, man. Say, when's it gonna be?