LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

possible paint problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 04:23 PM
Zimmysr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question possible paint problem?????

i have a brand new lexus ls 430. i took it to the local carwash the other day. please note though that it was the _first_ time it was EVER taken there. i have used this carwash over the past 10 years with no problems till now. they applied the tire dressing onto the car. i made sure that there was NO overspray on the car or any other blemishes on the car before i left the carwash. when i got it home, there was some tire dressing "thrown" from the tires on the inside of the wheel well, and down some of the trim panel. knowing that i was going to wax the car the following morning and NEVER having ANY problems with this carwash, i left it on. next morning when i go to wax the car, the tire dressing will not come off! i tried everything that i had but it did not come off. took it back to lexus and they used some kind of solution to get some of it off - not much though. the lexus body tech had never seen anything like it. the carwash had said it was tar and that it was NOT there tire product. i had the lexus tech and another body shop tell me that it was not tar but most likely something else, or the tire dressing. both techs tired to get some of it, but was mostly scared to do further work because of the paint coming off. so... just in case it was not the carwash, has someone else had this problem with the paint? the spots seem to be a yellowish-green color and seem to be "etched" into the clearcoat. any feedback will be appreciated! thanks!
Old 06-30-02, 11:24 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like a paint problem to me...they probably used some bad stuff, or you drove over something nasty after the car wash. You should have tried cleaning it right then....but then again hindsight is always perfect.
Old 06-30-02, 11:40 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt it was anything from the car wash as well. You must have driven over new black asphalt or tar of some kind and then the sun baked it into your paint probably. Could have been some type of automotive undercoating maybe but where would have that come from.

The reason it's a different color now is because it sounds to me that they took off the clear coat when they were rubbing to get it out. If you find more on your car try #7 Bug and Tar Remover at any parts store. I have used it and it works great but use a small amount and don't rub to hard.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 06-30-02 at 11:42 PM.