LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission making a ticking noise?!?!? Any inputs from the CL vets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 01:13 AM
J_LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission making a ticking noise?!?!? Any inputs from the CL vets...

Before i get into this, i tried searching for this particular issue but came up with engine ticks, egr probs, etc but nothing to do with tranny so here's the breakdown....

1991 Lexus LS400 with over 100k miles (odometer stuck at 118k)
Recent services performed...

-Transmission & Engine Mounts
-Transmission Filter & Gasket with drain & fill (TOYOTA TIV)
-Spark Plugs, wires & cap & rotors
-Seafoam through vacuum
-Oil & filter
-Supra TT front brakes (pads, calipers & backing plates)
-Coolant Temp sensor
-Thermostat & Coolant flush (toyota red antifreeze)
-Lextreme EGR Delete
-Rack & pinion, pressure & return hoses, & power steering pump with idle up valve with a new reservoir
-MAF sensor
-IAC valve
-Serpentine Belt
-LS430 18 inch wheels with new bridgestone potenza re-01r's
-Tanabe drop springs (previous owner converted air to coil suspension so the traction off light is on... any reset procedures?)
-Radius Arm bushings

all of these things were done at my work (a 4month process but finally completed) so i only put on just over a 100 miles since then... so here's the story on what's going on now....

On cold starts, it will idle at 1500 until it warms to about 1000 and it'll start running rough... so then i'll put the car in reverse and obviously it's running rough at this point then when i switch it to drive.... nothing! Feels like the car is in neutral cause it'll free rev for a good 30 seconds, then it'll clunk and engage into drive... once the initial clunk to gear the car will shift in and out of P R N D no problems until the next cold start... from my searches i got shift solenoid may possibly be the problem (restriction or bad solenoid) so any input will be appreciated... so moving on, after the transmission shifting problem i'll go to drive the car and i hear this ticking sound from under the car which gets faster with higher rpms so i drive it onto a lift to have someone check it out for me will i'm in the car... process of elimination went like this... rev the car at park with no ticking so foot on brake and car in drive rev to 1100 and the ticking is very loud then try it in reverse and the same thing (so i don't think it's an engine tick cause in park or neutral i would assume the ticking would still be there)... while under the car my friend told me that it sounds like it's from the transmission or exhaust area but he was unable to verify but i think if it was an exhaust problem then also it would happen in park or drive so only thing i'm left with is transmission... any other members out there have the same issue or know what this could be? i just spent a lot of money to get her right but it's still not there... please help!!!
Old 05-02-10, 06:51 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you confirmed the correct level of T-IV since the transmission service?
Old 05-02-10, 08:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds like the transmission isn't getting any fluid. Check the level. Try doing another drain and fill, something may be clogged.
Old 05-02-10, 10:37 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd drop the pan and look closely at the filter and at the magnets. You might have to change the filter again.
Old 05-05-10, 07:14 PM
J_LS
Driver School Candidate

i'll order another filter and gasket when i have the chance and get back under there... is there any way to check the solenoids if they're clogged or restricted? i have my fingers crossed on this one... i sure do love my ls's! i had another 91 that i had to sell before i picked up this one but it also gave me the same problems (delay in engagement in drive, rough idle in gear but it didn't have the ticking noise)... i'm starting to wonder if this is a common problem with ls400 trannys
Old 07-31-10, 12:49 PM
AZ98LS400
Driver School Candidate

Hey J_LS,
You described perfectly the exact same ticking sound I am experiencing with my 98 LS. I too only get the sound when the car is in gear and right around that 1100- 1200 rpm. I find that the sound is really prominent when cruising down a residential road at 25-30 mph with my foot light on the gas to maintain that speed, then when I accelerate or decelerate, the sound pretty quickly goes away as the rpms and engine load increases or decreases. I don't have access to a lift, but can make the sound happen with the car in drive or reverse with tires blocked and my foot on the brake, and bring the rpms up to the 1100-1200 range. Any higher or lower and the sound goes away. I should also mention that this only happens to my car when the car is fully warmed up. I live in a hot climate (Phoenix area).

Anyway, I was wondering if you had any luck finding the solution to your problem. If you or anyone has any additional feedback, I'd be most grateful!