LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine Oil level light

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 03:32 PM
nick1989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil level light

I have a 97 ls400 with just over 160,000 miles on it. Recently the engine oil level light has been coming on after I drive it for a little while, though I have had the oil changed and this did not help. Also when I brake the low engine oil pressure light comes on. If anyone has any idea what is causing this I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-26-10, 09:08 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like low oil pressure which probably means your engine is not in good shape. Have a mechanic check your oil pressure to verify it is not just a sensor malfunction. I assume you already checked the dipstick to make sure there is enough oil in the engine.
Old 01-26-10, 09:35 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nick1989
I have a 97 ls400 with just over 160,000 miles on it. Recently the engine oil level light has been coming on after I drive it for a little while, though I have had the oil changed and this did not help. Also when I brake the low engine oil pressure light comes on. If anyone has any idea what is causing this I would really appreciate it.
Well. Is the level OK? Low level will starve the pick-up on a hard stop, and low rpms may make the pressure light come on, and it is not a big deal until it comes on above 1,000 rpm with known good 10-30 oil at the correct quantity.
I would get the oil level up to the full mark for sure when it is stone cold, and I would put in heavier viscosity oil than the 5-30 recommendation in winter as an experiment.
Old 01-27-10, 04:38 PM
nick1989
Driver School Candidate

It turns out that the people who owned the car before me had the timing belt replaced at around 100k, but that was it, they didn't replace any seals or gaskets. The mechanic says I need to now replace the entire thing timing belt, water pump, o-rings, gaskets, crank seal, and camshaft seals. Which with parts and labor is going to run me around $1200
Old 01-27-10, 04:51 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It turns out that the people who owned the car before me had the timing belt replaced at around 100k, but that was it, they didn't replace any seals or gaskets. The mechanic says I need to now replace the entire thing timing belt, water pump, o-rings, gaskets, crank seal, and camshaft seals. Which with parts and labor is going to run me around $1200
That's a fair amount. Ask him if he can check the valve clearances and shim it as well while he was it apart.

My camshaft seals are leaking BAD. My cousin and I plan to tear the engine apart in his auto ROP class.
Old 01-27-10, 09:54 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

1200 bucks what a ripoff. Do it yourself.
Also if your oil is to the correct level fixing the leaks will not fix the oil pressure problem. Since you did not make it clear. When the light was on was your oil level correct or was it low? If it was correct you will need to rebuild your engine assuming all your sensors are working correctly

Last edited by sam12345; 01-27-10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 10:11 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I am skeptical of the above, unless you have an ungodly mess of leaking oil thrown all over your engine such that you are a couple of quarts low thus triggering the level light and then getting oil starvation.
Is your mechanic recommending all of this because you have a leaking crank seal? Do you have oil thrown all around the cam covers at the timing sprocket ends? Is the engine smoking off the exhaust manifolds? Losing coolant? Or is this a package deal for a slow winter week at the mechanic's?

Really.
Colin
Old 01-27-10, 10:39 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

My thoughts:

1. Check your oil level
2. Make sure you are using the proper viscosity of oil
3. Make sure you have the right oil filter
Old 01-27-10, 11:38 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be a man and do the job yourself
christ, is anybody here a man anymore?
Old 01-27-10, 11:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
be a man and do the job yourself
christ, is anybody here a man anymore?
Major automotive repair skills are not the be all end all measuring stick for manhood. Kind of a ridiculous post, honestly.
Old 01-27-10, 11:54 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
Major automotive repair skills are not the be all end all measuring stick for manhood. Kind of a ridiculous post, honestly.
It takes a man to stand up to me. I hope you like pain!

Seriously though, it's a good weekend project and definitely doable for anyone who's done basic wrenching.

Plus, it's not like I've asked him to rebuild an automatic transmission! This is just nuts and bolts.
Old 01-28-10, 10:25 AM
nick1989
Driver School Candidate

They said the oil was all over the timing belt and it is leaking like a sieve, but the engine does not smoke at all so I don't think that it is burning oil. The parts come in a kit which is about $500. How difficult of a project would it be to do it myself?
Old 01-28-10, 02:28 PM
rob22
Rookie

1. How fast is the car going through oil, is it a quart every couple hundred miles?

2. You can confirm the oil on the timing belt by lifting off the LH (driver's side) cam cover and looking at the timing belt as it goes over the cam gear. That'll tell you if the belt is contaminated with oil.

3. You could check intake manifold vacuum to get an idea of engine health. You could also check cylinder compression.

Good luck
Old 01-28-10, 08:33 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

They said the oil was all over the timing belt and it is leaking like a sieve, but the engine does not smoke at all so I don't think that it is burning oil. The parts come in a kit which is about $500. How difficult of a project would it be to do it myself?
There are three seals you're worried about. The camshaft seals are about $7.00 each, and the crank seal is about $13.00. You could use a camshaft seal from a Camry, I'd have to check which model exactly but I believe it's the four cylinder in the 91 range. To do the project you need basic hand tools, a torque wrench, and to borrow a harmonic balancer remover from AutoZone for free. There are guides littering the internet on doing the job. Give yourself a weekend to do it and you're home free. You don't even have to remove the fan bracket.

I bought a '95 LS400 for VERY cheap because it drank oil like a fish - the cam and crank seals were leaking. Fixed those for the price I described, and gave the car to my sister. Runs great.
Old 01-28-10, 08:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

nick I am still confused because you did not answer my question. Even if the engine is leaking oil like a seave if at the moment you add oil to the engine to the correct level the oil light should not be on. Does the oil light turn on when this is the case? If so you have a bad engine or bad pressure sensor.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil level light