LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 04:42 PM
evesnake1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ls400

How's it going fellas? New here to the board, love everyone's ride. Reason I joined is, I'm currently in a bind. Bad economy is hitting me hard so I'm forced to sell my motorcycle. I had it posted for sale for 3 grand. Someone is very interested in the bike and wants to trade me his 1990 ls400 for the bike. I seen pictures of the car, and it looks like it has been very well maintained. Paint is immaculate, has 20 inch rims, and brand new coil over suspension. He purchased the car for his brother as a graduation present but his brother wanted a truck. The car was purchased from his friends dad who builds race cars for a living. So the car has been serviced and is mechanically sound to the best of his knowledge. Now my situation is, I have a 7 yr old and another baby on the way. I do need a car but I can't afford to spend money on it at the moment. If it breaks down, I'll be screwed. Does this car offer spacious interior? How reliable is this car? I apologize for all the questions. My knowledge of this car is zero. I know Lexus makes nothing but the best. I just don't want to make this trade if its gonna hurt me in the end. So if you guys could share some knowledge that would be great. I've done some research online and it's noted that this 1990 ls400 is a top 5 best car ever built. Thanks again in advance. Hopefully all works out and I can start posting here daily.

Steve K.
Old 10-28-09, 05:48 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evesnake1
He purchased the car for his brother as a graduation present but his brother wanted a truck.
I'm sure we've all heard that one before, eh...? Or something similar, anyway. That is 99.9% BS.

You didn't mention the mileage, but as long as the timing belt has been changed when it was supposed to and the steering stuff (PS pump and rack and pinion) is in good shape, you should be good to go. If the PS pump leaks, it will eventually kill your alternator which is located right below the pump.

The car is almost 20 years old, so of course there will be thing or two to work on or break, but other than the stuff mentioned above, these are pretty reliable cars.

Then again, as somebody has said before, there is nothing more expensive than a used Lexus, so beware. Unless you can work on some stuff yourself or have a decently priced independent mechanic available, prepare to spend some bucks.

I'm fairly new to these things, too, so I'm sure somebody else will chime in if/when I missed some weak points.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there are some very good links in the stickies above, so read on.
Old 10-28-09, 08:01 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Texfinn mentioned, the PS pump is a common leak item(which WILL kill the alternator eventually. There are several ways to fix, just research around in the forum a little) and the PS rack are prone to need replacement(especially if original). I just had mine replaced on my 92 earlier this year, and it wasn't cheap; but the part was the original so I couldn't be mad at it. Stuck around for 17 years before giving out. You have to remember that this IS a now 20 year old car. Timing belt and water pump should be changed, if not done. You mentioned the suspension has been redone to coilovers; how long ago? Control arms, particularly the uppers, are costly to replace and the LS is known to eat up a ball joint or two.

In all honesty, the cars are VERY reliable. You have to consider the age of the car, mileage, maintenance (as far as known), etc. The biggest cost concerns would be the PS leak fix (can be plugged $, bypassed $$, or replaced $$$$$). Alternators can be had pretty cheaply, so not a big concern, ball joints (lowers) can be replaced by themselves and we have vendors here who offer some good discounts on parts, or you can get them aftermarket (just be VERY choosy when using aftermarket Ball joints). Upper ball joints (both front and rear) cannot be changed out separately, replacement of these require you to purchase the entire upper control arm and can get costly. Alot of the older LS's have a particular valve tap (needs valves adjusted). This is more nuisance than anything else, it doesn't hurt anything. The best way to evaluate the car, and to see if it is to your liking, it to DRIVE the car. NEVER trust ANY car by appearance alone. Take the car, have it throughly checked out and then make a decision. True, a NEGLECTED, older LS can be a money pit to get back in order, but once they are in order, or if this one has been in order all along, will provide you with a very nice ride.

BTW,,20's on a first gen LS with coils is NOT gonna be a silky smooth, factory Lexus ride. Tire profile is gonne be extremely small, and coilover suspension is gonna be kinda stiff(depending on adjustment level). You are gonna feel the road a little more as well as bumps in the road alot more over the factory ride. If you are looking for the smooth "Lexus" ride, the current mods to the car ain't gonna give em to ya without a little work. It CAN be prety comfortable as it is now, but just keep that in mind. Just depends on what YOU are looking for in a car. Post up more info on the car, and we can try to help you make a decision on grab it or walk away status.

Last edited by trukn1; 10-28-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 02:31 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some pix would be nice, I would chunk the 20's or use them till the tires go bald something liek 18's would still look nice and give a much better ride quality.
Old 10-29-09, 03:25 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

it's all going to be in the maintenance. if properly maintained they are reliable and the list of common issues is relatively short. without records you're going in blind though.
Old 10-29-09, 07:01 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
some pix would be nice, I would chunk the 20's or use them till the tires go bald something liek 18's would still look nice and give a much better ride quality.
Absolutely!
Old 10-29-09, 07:06 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

post up some pics if you can get some.
Old 10-30-09, 02:15 PM
Driver School Candidate

You asked about room - I have had a '90 and currently drive a '93 LS (basically same generation 1 car) - for a 7 yr. old and new baby with the usual "stuff" that is associated with kids that age I would say there is enough room - trunk is about 15 cf and back seat is adequate. As to trading for this car you need to understand the service and maintanence given to it over the years. The new coil over suspension may be a replacement for air shocks - my '90 had those and when they fail it is a very costly fix (do not get air shocks). Standard wheels on a '90 are 15" - anything bigger will degrade ride quality. Previous race car owner knew how to maintain the car but did he? Drive car and have a mechanic check it out completely. Good luck.