LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaking high pressure power steering line? Updates and pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 06:00 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Send some pics when you get your car washed and waxed. Glad the repair is finally finished.
Done and done... pics as promised...

Thanks. Definitely about the spa! LOL. Got her washed really well today and waxed this evening... it was cloudy and only around 65°, so it was perfect to wax a car....

before
Name:  075.jpg
Views: 3899
Size:  55.0 KB

after
Name:  014.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  44.6 KB
Name:  008-1.jpg
Views: 3825
Size:  63.1 KB
Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 3793
Size:  47.8 KB
Name:  011-2.jpg
Views: 3817
Size:  68.2 KB
Name:  016-4.jpg
Views: 3835
Size:  45.0 KB

and no leaks!

Name:  015-3.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  69.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
TORQ99 (01-10-21)
Old 10-05-09, 11:33 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Done
and no leaks!
That's what I'm talking 'bout . . .

Good job . . . I find that I do better work on a clean car.
Colin
Old 10-05-09, 10:25 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. Right. Thanks. Now if I can just figure out whats causing the steering "shudder" on some sharp turns at low speeds, I will be OK.

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
That's what I'm talking 'bout . . .

Good job . . . I find that I do better work on a clean car.
Colin
Old 10-19-09, 07:58 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this part # also fit for a 1997 LS???
thanks
bj

Originally Posted by Och
That is some nasty mess....

If you need a new high pressure hose, you will not find it cheaper than this

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=63080&all=Y

Also, use discount code CL911M to get an additional 10% off.

You could probably find an after market hose cheaper, but I would stay with OEM.
Old 10-19-09, 09:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bj(CA)
will this part # also fit for a 1997 LS???
thanks
bj
In short, no.

You could however use half of it, and reuse the other half from your old hose (yes, the hose is 2 pcs with a joint). But its not a perfect fit still, so you're better off getting the correct one.
Old 10-20-09, 12:13 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

aahhhh, i see, thank you sir

bj
Originally Posted by Och
In short, no.

You could however use half of it, and reuse the other half from your old hose (yes, the hose is 2 pcs with a joint). But its not a perfect fit still, so you're better off getting the correct one.
Old 10-21-09, 04:32 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  031-1.jpg
Views: 5770
Size:  108.1 KB

Your brilliance is exceeded only by your brilliance. You've directed pre-TB air into the surge tank.
Old 10-21-09, 10:21 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, the SAE30R6 fuel line you've used is a temporary solution. After some time, it'll soften up and start leaking. It's not rated for transmission fluid.
Old 06-10-10, 09:34 PM
fencera
Rookie

Originally Posted by Thermactor
For reference, anyone who has a leaking power steering high pressure hose,
you can order the $45 edelmann high pressure hose from RockAuto. With shipping its still less than $55. It's a good, high quality piece that I just installed. Some install notes:

0) You should remove the engine under cover and the side splash guard that sits in front of the oil filter to get to the flare fitting ends.
1) You'll need a 22mm wrench and a 17mm wrench to break the flare fittings loose where the hoses meet by the oil filter. I used PB blaster and some heat from a propane torch to warm the fittings up sufficiently to break them open. Once open, the rest was easy.
2) Remove the 2 brackets that bolt the pressure line to the front of the motor, around the oil pan. They're 10mm bolts. To reuse them, pull out the metal sleeves and the rubber grommets, then use pliers to pull the retaining tabs back and they'll pull apart. Reassemble them on the new hose in the same direction and orientation as they were on the old one.
3) On the pump side, you just need a good 17mm wrench to bust open the high pressure banjo bolt.
Then it all just snakes out, and you put the new assembly in. Keep a pan under the flare fitting end, as the whole system will empty into it.
Overall, pretty easy job, and decently inexpensive to do. Much easier than doing the PS hoses on a Supra, for example.
Thank you for these great directions and the information about the edelmann hose being high quality.

I just bought and installed both hoses and they definitely seem to be quality pieces.

A couple quick notes to add based on my installation:
1. I could not get enough force on my 17" wrench to free the bolts going through the high pressure hose to the steering rack, so I released the bolts holding the rack to get more space. Not a big deal if you get stuck
2. Lexus has crush washers that are attached to each other that can help make things easier when reinstalling the hose so that you don't have to try to juggle both washers separately (well, mainly worry about the one falling off) when getting the nut back into the rack.
3. Not only did this stop my small power steering leak, but it tightened up the feel of my steering and reduced the free play in the wheel. Didn't know that would happen and am definitely happy about it!
4. I did this (and a few other projects) over a few days and completely forgot how the high pressure hose attached to the power steering pump... the loop in that end of the hose points towards the front of the car!

Anyways, thanks again for the great write up and information! These additional notes are pretty minor, but will hopefully help convince anyone else trying/thinking about these hoses/tackling this problem. It was definitely worth doing and I am very happy with the hoses and savings.
Old 03-13-15, 07:36 PM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a couple of vacuum caps on each end where you have a foot or so of hose. The caps are much cleaner and less troublesome. That is how i did it on my LS400. Your local auto parts store should have a set of those. sometimes the come in a pack that is assorted. NOTE a cap also comes in really handy when
pulling the return line off of the power steering reservoir. You can just cap it and when you remove the power steering reservoir be quick and place a fingertip over the bottom hole of the reservoir where the o ring goes then all you need to do is have a small jug to catch the fluid and you can drain it that way and make sure you do that part quick and have a shop rag ready to help catch the excess. Minimal spills and headaches this way.
Old 03-13-15, 07:59 PM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

Default Powere steering nightmare dragon vanquished

OK friends this forum has some very good advice for those of us that are unlocking the mysteries of all things Lexus and to those who offered advice in my nightmare I say to you THANK YOU. Here is an update. I have the proper LEXUS specific o ring installed. DO NOT use an o ring from your local harbor freight o ring store kit. Those will work on a lot of things but NOT A LEXUS and do not try to use any sealant as in RTV on a hydraulic fitting kids. NO NO BIG TIME it will leak and you WILL be ready to put a well placed hammer through a windshield and a few gallons of gas in the car and torch it. ORDER THE LEXUS o ring and the part number has changed. The parts folks at LEXUS are really nice people and know this problem. NEXT. I changed the return hose that goes to the reservoir and I did the nice repair for the air control valve a la wire feed and some grinding to make it a nice 17MM bolt. USE Some type of thread sealer or teflon tape like Mr Plumber does on pipes. It will make your life so much easier. and please be sure to tighten to not strip out and to keep a red wine looking substance from marking your driveway. You HOA friends will love you for that mess.NEXT hose I changed because it was leaking too was on the driver side. It too is a LOW PRESSURE and is the far side of your return line. This guy decided to let the fluid play Houdini and out it went all over my nice snow covered driveway. Have you noticed that blood and ATF are similar in color? Had i been in some parts of the country the cops and CSI would be investigating a crime scene. True story. So I fixed that with a piece of the hose i used for the other return line. STOP RIGHT THERE. HOSE CLAMPS get new ones of the American styles that you screw tight and DO NOT REUSE those ones that you took off of your beloved Lexus. those are USE ONCE and DESTROY type and after 25 years those hoses and clamps have long since died. USE NEW HOSE CLAMPS. no more headaches and DO NOT OVER TORQUE them BAD THINGS HAPPEN when you do that. Just SNUG. NOW if you did all those things and the pump is not leaking you might have a hole in the HIGH PRESSURE LINE/HOSE. O'Reilly's sold me one of those for $74.89 and they delivered it too. This is sometimes done in farm towns. you can get them cheaper on line and sometimes AMAZON will have the part and GATES makes it too mine is made by MASTER PRO. Do NOT freak out. Rumor has it that a John Deere dealer has a hydralic hose maker and if you have HOSE MAN near you that is a good place but if you do that take the old one so the person making the hose can fit it up correctly and that is it make sure they know it is a Japanese car proper fitment is paramount and DO NOT FORGET CRUSH WASHERS those are the 2 copper looking things and again teflon plumbers tape for the threaded fittings unless you want leaks. I really hope this helps. My Lexus had all original hoses and after 25 years thay have served this car well.
Old 03-13-15, 08:08 PM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

The more I learn the inner workings of the LEXUS, the more I love them. Once you become accustomed or initiated into the wonderful world of LEXUS I can see why one would be addicted. These cars have amazing engineering. They love attention and they do get it too. I have seen the light and I am a believer. I will get another one.
Old 03-14-15, 01:47 PM
rljmusic
Driver School Candidate

It's all part of the fun. On a side note, IF you are changing out the high pressure line/hose and you get to the part where the screen is. this is on the LS400 and i think other models do this but not sure. The lower banjo fitting is the one on the steering box that you want to remove. not the top one because that guy is the RETURN line and you will be cussin like a sailor and you still wont get that bolt off. THE LOWER ONE. Much easier to get to but it can be tricky. i hope this tip will help someone so they won't have one of those oh no moments.
The following users liked this post:
Sherl (03-25-23)