LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ignition Tune Up - OE Vs. OEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 08:43 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Tune Up - OE Vs. OEM

Gonna do an ignition tune up. Looking for experience/info/opinions on parts. I'm not opposed to going to the dealer but if I can save some cash (for equal quality) I'm all for it.

Plugs - Denso PK20R11 correct?

Wires, caps, and rotors - Who OEMs these. I think I recall reading the wires are Denso. Caps and rotors I have no idea, not as big of a deal though since they're relatively cheap.
Old 08-09-09, 08:55 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

the wires from the dealer come with the plactic holders the go in front of the motor which is very important...at least on the gen 1.... other than that you can get laser platinum plugs from any auto parts place,ngk's will work just fine...now onto the cap and rotors, just make sure the cap has brass connectors on them and not aluminum...if it were me i would just get everything but the plugs from the dealer, how many miles do u have on ur car? i didnt do a tuneup until i had 140,000 and the original wires were in it and i think everything else was also
Old 08-09-09, 09:09 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by python
the wires from the dealer come with the plactic holders the go in front of the motor which is very important...at least on the gen 1...
would these holders not be present on the denso or ngk replacment sets? there seems to be some serious room for savings on the wires especially but if it's at the expense of quailty/performance/fitment i'll pass.

...other than that you can get laser platinum plugs from any auto parts place,ngk's will work just fine...
after doing a little more googling i'm thinking denson iridium unless there's a reason not to.

...now onto the cap and rotors, just make sure the cap has brass connectors on them and not aluminum...if it were me i would just get everything but the plugs from the dealer...
i may got that route. just looking to make an informed decision. if i can buy the same thing without the toyota box for less...

... how many miles do u have on ur car? i didnt do a tuneup until i had 140,000 and the original wires were in it and i think everything else was also
car is at 130k+, with 1k+ being in my possesion. the car had records, and what wasn't included i had printed at the dealer (dealer maintained until '05, 1 family car). i don't recall seeing this stuff replaced. startup is also a little rough, nothing major but enough that it bothers me, so i'm hoping this will fix it up.
Old 08-09-09, 09:24 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ngk plugs and wires work good. u can prob get Bosch cap and rotors too and they'll work fine.
Old 08-09-09, 11:14 AM
vaughn37
Pole Position

be sure to check out Sewell lexus online...they have there parts in category's and most of the parts have diagrams with part# so youc an see what your buying.
For my 92ls400 under ignition.it shows you can buy each spark plug wire separate or as a set for 149 they have fast shipping to. http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/
Old 08-09-09, 12:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Caps and rotors are both made by Denso.

Last edited by EXE.UCF10; 08-09-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 12:01 PM
python
Lexus Champion

first of all if u r not having a misfire,then dont mess with it, if its not broke dont fix it....secondly ur parts on there lasted 130000 miles and u want to save money by putting aftermarket parts on ur car? hmmm think about what u r saying, if u r planning on dumpin the car in the near future then i would say ok,but if u plan on keeping it then put oem parts on
Old 08-09-09, 12:02 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
Wires, caps and rotors are all made by Denso.
ya lets clear this up...lexus,toyota or any other dealer sells reboxed parts...i believe the wires were made by sumitomo,i dont know if thats a division of denso or not
Old 08-09-09, 12:15 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
Gonna do an ignition tune up. Looking for experience/info/opinions on parts. I'm not opposed to going to the dealer but if I can save some cash (for equal quality) I'm all for it.

Plugs - Denso PK20R11 correct?

Wires, caps, and rotors - Who OEMs these. I think I recall reading the wires are Denso. Caps and rotors I have no idea, not as big of a deal though since they're relatively cheap.
Those are the correct plugs to use.....you can also use the OEM equivilant NGK's...those are the only two brands of plugs I would use personally.

Don't forget to get an air filter, fuel filter & PCV valve on top of that.
Old 08-09-09, 02:25 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

first of all if u r not having a misfire,then dont mess with it, if its not broke dont fix it....secondly ur parts on there lasted 130000 miles and u want to save money by putting aftermarket parts on ur car? hmmm think about what u r saying, if u r planning on dumpin the car in the near future then i would say ok,but if u plan on keeping it then put oem parts on
"don't fix it until it breaks" is a little passive for me.

i do not want to put aftermarket parts on the car, i am looking for oem parts (whoever made them for toyota is oem). toyota does not make these parts and if i can cut out the middle man (dealer) i will.
Old 08-09-09, 04:09 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ya lets clear this up...lexus,toyota or any other dealer sells reboxed parts...i believe the wires were made by sumitomo,i dont know if thats a division of denso or not
Oops, you're right, the wires are by Sumitomo.
Old 08-09-09, 05:09 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

doesn't look like i can get any of the parts from other sources. dealer it is. thanks for the help guys.