LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"Im Dyin' Here" no voltage to A/C fan blower

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 05:45 PM
theroad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Im Dyin' Here" no voltage to A/C fan blower

Living in Texas in the summer of 2009 is not a good place to have blower motor probs! OK...Check it out....1997, second gen, LS400....
When first I checked the situation, the owner (My Friend) said the blower motor will not turn off. Ok, I told him, the blower will run for 70 seconds after key off. When I checked it, it ran as normal while cranked, then seemed to run longer than the 70 secs once turned off. I cant recall if it kept running indefinately after that, as...then I couldnt get it to run at all. I checked fuses @ under dash panel and under hood. Could not find anything wrong with fuses on related circuits. These things are confusing as hell because the fuse "legend" shows 3-4 locations for "air conditioning" (under dash) but dosnt describe what part or function of the a/c system each one covers. Under the hood, the only problem I discovered was that someone had taken the cover off the cir/opn relay and ran an obstacle behind a set of points to make it connect all the time. I believe this relay has to do with fuel delivery/please correct me if wrong. An accompaning problem with all this is that something was draining the battery as well. (Maybe the hotwired relay??) "Trying to paint a picture here for u guys" Anywhoo.....I have searched high and low for this problem. Have a feeling its going to be something really stupid. OK...Path..... 1.)Motor works when connected to 12 volts. 2.) When battery is reconnected (been charging) I get a flash from the "Front button w/defrost icon on it" Like it is trying to initialize after it sees voltage. Now, for reasons I dont understand, during some key on key off cycles, the AUTO button flashes instead. Im thinkin', great...the plot thickin's....but, moving along here, 3.) no voltage to blower module, not to mention fan motor. 4.) at this point I have the console pulled out from the vent down to the drink holder, the glove box out. I removed the filter (I swear to God, one could plant watermelons on that badboy) bad,...really bad. So Im thinking, well maybe the fan runs, but at too much resistance, but, im not getting voltage to reproduce the $^%^*. I guess I could look for a voltage drop by connecting it to battery. The fan runs great so dont really expect a prob there. What am I missing????? Any input would be completely awesome at this point. Theroad.....is runnin out!:
Old 07-17-09, 08:33 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to check out this recent post and do a search of the forum for "AC Fan" if this doesn't help...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-turn-on.html