LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof Adjustible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 05:01 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof Adjustible?

Hi guys. Im trying to sort a leak in my 95 LS when the rain is really coming down hard and the car is sitting. It basically seems like the gutters/drains from the sunroof get overwhelmed and overflow some water into the cabin (comes out around the sunroof controls). The sunroof looks like it needs to be moved upwards a comple mm to seal better and stop the water pooling so much. Does anyone know if there are adjustments to do this?

Cheers

Gene
Old 07-15-09, 09:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Thin metal shims were used on my 90 LS but a torx driver is used on my 00 LS to raise and lower the sunroof -- don't know how it works on a 95 LS but I suspect it is more like the 00 LS.

My 00 LS repair manual says to remove the left and right sliding roof garnishes first but I'm not sure what garnishes it is refering to.
Old 07-15-09, 09:41 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It has 2 small strips of plastic to pop off on the glass sunroofs edges .
Once removed loosen the nuts and push up and tighten .
I had to on my 98 as it was getting noisy as hell.
Old 07-15-09, 11:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey SK are you talkin about wind noise or ?
if wind noise, tightening against the body is a good solution?
if so i might try this out.
Old 07-16-09, 01:37 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Yes it helps fix air leaks /wind noise by making the sunroof flush to the roof line again.
It is just a set of nuts in each corner which slide up and down just like the headlight level system.
Old 07-19-09, 03:11 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Yes it helps fix air leaks /wind noise by making the sunroof flush to the roof line again.
It is just a set of nuts in each corner which slide up and down just like the headlight level system.
You legend!

Cheers dude, I dont quite follow tho... the hood lining has to come out right? Not looking forward to doing that.

edit: Ahh, found them, torx bolt and a phillips on each corner, easy job. I should've thought to pop that plastic trim off

Last edited by gmacrae; 07-19-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 11:38 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

lol
glad you found it as that Hood lining comment had me wondering about you ?
Old 07-21-09, 02:28 AM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
lol
glad you found it as that Hood lining comment had me wondering about you ?
haha yea fair enough. Should've actually looked at it before i assumed it would be a major
Old 01-09-11, 03:02 PM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS400 1990: my sunroof is worn out so much i cannot align it with shims anymore. i see bent rubber parts under the rails. i see plastic parts sliding in the rails that cracked and came off long time ago. so i took 6 nuts and screwed them on the 6 bolts to tighten against to gain much more height than shims allow. works perfect.

but... where do i adjust it to? should the glass be flat to the roof or the surrounding rubber flat to the roof? if i adjust it flat to the rubber its way too low and water gets in again. so i decided to adjust glass to metal roof. how did you adjust yours? is there a bulletin available? thanks.
Old 01-10-11, 01:40 AM
gmacrae
Driver

Originally Posted by p.hase
LS400 1990: my sunroof is worn out so much i cannot align it with shims anymore. i see bent rubber parts under the rails. i see plastic parts sliding in the rails that cracked and came off long time ago. so i took 6 nuts and screwed them on the 6 bolts to tighten against to gain much more height than shims allow. works perfect.

but... where do i adjust it to? should the glass be flat to the roof or the surrounding rubber flat to the roof? if i adjust it flat to the rubber its way too low and water gets in again. so i decided to adjust glass to metal roof. how did you adjust yours? is there a bulletin available? thanks.
with an older car it aint gonna matter where you have it adjusted man. The seals aren't in the condition they're intended to work in, just crank it up till you've got a decent seal - the only thing it will affect is wind noise
Old 01-11-11, 01:58 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all my seals are like new. when it was removed i cleaned the complete seals and sunroof with water and sprayed with silicone. now in the right place and nicely lubed i expect the seals to widen and get back to there original size and shape.

my problem is that all rubbers and plastic parts of the rails are either broken/cracked or are worn out so much i cannot adjust it anymore in the future. i think 5-8mm are missing in height. one day i will replace the complete rail system rubbers/plastic parts.

another downpoint is that out fat cat is sitting with its 8kg on the sunroof each night and watching other cat.
Old 01-12-11, 02:17 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

replace the worn rubber parts with some metal shims for height.
Old 10-30-12, 02:15 PM
cndnate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by p.hase

another downpoint is that out fat cat is sitting with its 8kg on the sunroof each night and watching other cat.

Sorry, I had to bring this back. The fat cat is making the sunroof leak, awsome!

Glad I know how to fix the drains, searching actually works!
Old 06-05-15, 09:08 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Trying to adjust mine on my 92. Passenger side needs to come up a bit. Having issue finding where too based on this old thread.

Anyone done this since than??
Old 06-05-15, 11:59 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

There are plastic covers on each side, I take a small 90 degree plastic pry bar to remove them. Be careful that you just barley engage with the plastic covers edge and be about 2 inches at the front or rear into the plastic cover. Its okay to pry on the glass they come off fairly easy. After that there are some nuts to loosen older cars have 3 newer ones have 2 this is per side and may vary. Anyway you loosen them and can add shims, most auto parts places will have them an may need to be filed or ground to not stick out so much so the covers can be put back on. After shimming be careful operating the roof. There is supposed to be a limit of how much to shim, but if its so bad you do what you have to. The studs for the nuts is only so long so you will run out of threads if its real bad.

The plastic pry bars can be got from harbor freight and are good for removing interior stuff like those covers and other panels.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Adjustible?