LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 02:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

LS' offer another benefit!

locked fuel doors
Old 07-01-11, 06:39 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Wow dude. You just took me through the last 2.5 years of your life...in 3 hours.

NICE build. I hope to find me an LS400/430 and do the very same thing in the near future. First though, I need a garage. I hate living in an apartment but at the moment that is what life offers me. Housing aint cheap and the Army gives it for free you know?

Best of luck and keep us posted man. And remember (from a gearhead to a gearhead)...Patience is a virtue .
Well sir, I first would like to thank you for your service. Patience is something that I'm working on. My newest project is the truck on the last page, I put a Solid Axle in it, and it's getting a 350/4L60E. I don't think I could do without working on cars for a few days, let alone not have a shop or garage. My soon to be, brother-in-law's station in Kuwait and comes home soon enough. Everyone always asked what I'm doing with these cars, and I just tell them it's just what I do. Anyways, the plan is to have it ready for next month's Cars & Coffee.

- It needs... Exhaust, rear brakes, swap tires, and the usual oil change/inspection.
Old 07-02-11, 03:27 AM
speedpillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as someone who learned to drive in this exact car, all i can say is that i hope you enjoy this car as much as i did. after reading all this entire thread i aspire to take on this project myself someday and i hope we see more lexus enthusaists like you in the future.
Old 07-03-11, 11:58 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Well sir, I first would like to thank you for your service. Patience is something that I'm working on. My newest project is the truck on the last page, I put a Solid Axle in it, and it's getting a 350/4L60E. I don't think I could do without working on cars for a few days, let alone not have a shop or garage. My soon to be, brother-in-law's station in Kuwait and comes home soon enough. Everyone always asked what I'm doing with these cars, and I just tell them it's just what I do. Anyways, the plan is to have it ready for next month's Cars & Coffee.

- It needs... Exhaust, rear brakes, swap tires, and the usual oil change/inspection.
I dont go without working on cars for very long either. I am an Army Mechanic. However my own vehicles are too new to "fix", so I am about to go punch a few holes in the muffler of the Ram so I can get that new exhaust I want.

The old "It will give us better gas mileage" trick usually works too. LOL.
Old 07-03-11, 02:43 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I dont go without working on cars for very long either. I am an Army Mechanic. However my own vehicles are too new to "fix", so I am about to go punch a few holes in the muffler of the Ram so I can get that new exhaust I want.

The old "It will give us better gas mileage" trick usually works too. LOL.
Yeah, the things we tell our wives. (used to tell for me) I had a tiny leak coming from the exhaust doughnut on my old Camaro so I showed my X and said "look, there's a crack in the exhaust manifold", so I got my headers and new exhaust. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 07-06-11, 10:26 PM
e57820
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you have defrosted and are back at it. Where are you at with your MS3? I finally get a break from school and can get back into my projects, 6wks off.
Old 07-08-11, 06:41 PM
3UZFTE

Hey guys, been real busy with work. One of the benefits of not being married is not asking for permission. If I have the money I'm not affriad to buy, if I can get it for cheaper I'll try, but sometimes there is no way around, like I dropped $400 on HySteer arms for my Truck cause I had to. I do have a girl friend and she loves her clothes but were similar, so we just stay out of each other pockets.

Anyways, I got new calipers for the rear, I just need motivation to put them on. My MS3 is built, I set it up for a 4 wire IAC in hopes of getting the 1UZ IAC working. I am going to set it up to run a 2 wire Bosch IAC from like a VW/Volvo, and just fab my own adapter plate. I really lost motivation when I saw that I could just an computer/serial cable, but the problem is that the wires are suuuuper thin and won't handle the current that's going to be flowing, so I think. I think I'm going to have to buy a cable set from them as I misplaced most of the DIY cable set. I'm trying to get it running so I can atleast drive it to a car show before I under take another vehicle disabling project. What I really need to do is buy a LS400 engine harness and de-pin the connector and put an MS3 connector (37 pin serial), so I can just swap harnesses and be done with it.
Old 07-28-11, 06:32 PM
3UZFTE

Update. For the longest I've been dreading rear brakes on it. I broke off a bleeder last year, and just parked it. Now I have new front and rear calipers/pads, and cleaned up the old rotors of surface rust.
Broken bleeder, seized piston, crusty slides.

My brake fluid, same color as PB Blaster.

For those who don't know, there's a special tool for this and it's not a screwdriver.

An impact driver, a Phillips head bit, and a hammer.

2 hits of the hammer and it was loose.

I decided I'm not going to run an E-brake for now and the shoes literally fell off.

Now I just need to bleed my brakes.

I need to finish the PS resv/feed line, downpipe and lower radiator hose conundrum, and swap tires. I'd like to have it ready for Cars and Coffee in two weeks.
Old 07-29-11, 08:12 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

My god that's alot of rust under there. The new calipers look a hell of a lot better, and I'm sure they will work better. You say the shoes fell off, you're damn lucky the whole axle didn't fall off. That's why some people don't drive thier cars in the winters, damn that sand and salt.
Old 08-01-11, 05:19 AM
3UZFTE

Yeah, everything's either covered in grease or rust, not much in between. It's not that big of a deal as it's mostly surface rust. It's mostly salt here in MN, which is a necessity during winter, but unfortunately it has side effects.

Update.
I finished bleeding the brakes and got a nice firm pedal, and have the resevior looking proper.

I also finished my power steering resevior, and will remove the other one. It took some beating, banging, and welding to get it to fit, but it does so w/o leaks.

It's very tight, but it fits.

Another view.

There is about 1" of clearance from the turbo collector/v-band clamp.
Old 08-01-11, 07:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

That power steering resevoir sure looks like it has a serious infection. (the elephant man) Eh, as long as it fits. I'm not sure if I should say "good job" or not. So I'll just say "alright it fits" Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 08-04-11, 08:15 PM
3UZFTE

Update.
I've been thinking about the reason, or reasons, why I did this build. I'm sure its to prove something, but what? Anyways, I've been seeing some threads about exhaust, and since my factory exhaust is still hanging from cats-back I wanna prove that the factory Y-Pipe is good up to 350rwhp.

This is the downpipe, which comes close to just about everything. The coolant pipe will be re-done with a sharper radius bend to aid in clearance.

A little closer.

Flow testing the downpipe.

Here's the snake-like downpipe...

This is how it's going to be for now, but I plan on flattening the pipe to get better ground clearance, I hit some road construction in my GS the other night that would have been catastrophic in the LS.

Another shot of the exhaust, again, it comes close to about everything but it'll breathe nicely and goes straight back to the factory Y-pipe.

Got some newer rubbers. Old Bridgestone Potenzas vs. Newer Michelin Pilots. Not the biggest Michelin fan, but I got them for free, which is good excuse to burn them off.
Old 08-06-11, 08:41 PM
3UZFTE

Update.
Didn't get to Cars and Coffee, but got the LS running and driving well enough to go to the local car show at the park. Turns out my power steering pressure line is leaking. Here is the whip at the local show.

Dat phat booty.

Now for the vids. The first is a start up and drive off.
http://youtu.be/6ct-r6UO9L8

The 2nd video is a fly-by from a stand still. You can see it smoke a bit, and you can hear it miss under boost.
http://youtu.be/FeVltWUgclI

The final video of the day was when my girlfriend suggested that I take it up the interstate. You can see that motor makes a healthy amount of power, right up until I blew the silicone coupler off of the turbo, hence the end of the video.
http://youtu.be/ElNBo_Hthe0

Like I said, it's got a power steering leak, the exhaust hangs low and leaks a bit, it bucks and misses, the alternator isn't charging enough at idle, and the battery is almost dead... but it's damn sure fun to drive.
Old 08-07-11, 11:30 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Looks good sandwiched with a couple of nice rides. And it sounded good, up till the coupler blew. Fix it and have some more fun.
Old 08-27-11, 10:13 AM
3UZFTE

This is how it looks today.

Here's the exhaust.

And the door handle I picked up at a scrap yard, then spray painted, turned out pretty good.

Had to get a new alternator so I can actually drive it.

Decided to make another video. Can't tell what the deal is with the stock computer, but it's like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde, your not entirely sure what your going to get until it's too late. I'm quite sure it's running in open loop because I'm not running any O2 sensors, so it's gotta be running off pre-programmed logic. It's kind of weird, if it's lean as the turbo comes it, it's like it stays lean. If it manages to enter rich, where it seems to stays there and makes good power until I get to about 4k RPMs, it goes lean. It also seems to make some serious smoke about about 2 minutes of warm-up and the first boost run, than just goes away... Not sure what, or really care to be honest. Forgive my narration, I felt awkward holding the camera without saying anything. This thing is kind of a joke, but I love it.
http://youtu.be/JCvqPe1s67U

I definitely threw the serp belt... here's what was left of it. I'm not sure if the tensioner just couldn't keep it tight enough, but there wasn't one big chunk left.

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.