LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fan bracket bearing bad - what all should I replace? '91

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 09:41 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fan bracket bearing bad - what all should I replace? '91

Well, the wonderful fan bracket is making a terrible knock on my car, so it obviously has to be replaced. I have been told from its as easy as pie to you practically have to take it down to the t-belt.

Now here is the problem - my water pump and timing belt was replaced at the Lexus dealership 17K miles ago. Since the thing has to practically go down to the belt, should I go ahead and have it changed too? This really sickens me since this was a $1500 replacement, now this happens.

Also what about the tensioner? Should that be replaced now as well?

I think this should be a part that the dealer recommends to be changed when the timing belt is done... at least at the 2nd change. Its obviously not that umcommon of a problem since I have read several posts about this. Too bad I did not know this before hand.

I will say this, this is my LAST Lexus.
Too many stupid parts going out on something that I have never had issues with on other cars even older and with higher miles.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 02-11-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 10:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

get a new dealership, this one is bending you over.

should be under $500.
Old 02-12-09, 08:51 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NO JUST THE FAN BRACKET.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...Q5fAccessories

$67 for the fan bracket and 1-2 hours labor. $300 total! if that

Dude, stop freakin out. These brackets tend to go out between 150k-250k+ and 12+ years old.

once you replace the mounts and this bracket your car should be great.
you just have unrealistic expectations for a 18 year old car. some 5 year old cars have bigger more expensive problems. consider yourself lucky dude.
Old 02-12-09, 09:54 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Well, the wonderful fan bracket is making a terrible knock on my car, so it obviously has to be replaced. I have been told from its as easy as pie to you practically have to take it down to the t-belt.

Now here is the problem - my water pump and timing belt was replaced at the Lexus dealership 17K miles ago. Since the thing has to practically go down to the belt, should I go ahead and have it changed too? This really sickens me since this was a $1500 replacement, now this happens.

Also what about the tensioner? Should that be replaced now as well?

I think this should be a part that the dealer recommends to be changed when the timing belt is done... at least at the 2nd change. Its obviously not that umcommon of a problem since I have read several posts about this. Too bad I did not know this before hand.

I will say this, this is my LAST Lexus.
Too many stupid parts going out on something that I have never had issues with on other cars even older and with higher miles.
Care to share what other cars you've had that are BETTER than Lexus? I'm very curious to see how much mileage you can get out of something else...
Old 02-12-09, 12:33 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

should be under $500.
Thanks. I may can try a local Toyota dealer or get a guy I know to do it thats a Toyota tech.

Originally Posted by omarg
NO JUST THE FAN BRACKET.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...Q5fAccessories

$67 for the fan bracket and 1-2 hours labor. $300 total! if that

Dude, stop freakin out. These brackets tend to go out between 150k-250k+ and 12+ years old.

once you replace the mounts and this bracket your car should be great.
you just have unrealistic expectations for a 18 year old car. some 5 year old cars have bigger more expensive problems. consider yourself lucky dude.
Its strange that if they tend to go out on these cars that they did not change it when the timing belt and water pump was replaced, especially since this was the 2nd change its went through.

I guess I am comparing this LS400 to my other LS400 which was a year older (1990) and had a heck of alot more miles @ 268K. I never had any issues like this with that car.

Originally Posted by avalon42
Care to share what other cars you've had that are BETTER than Lexus? I'm very curious to see how much mileage you can get out of something else...
Well, this will kinda answer the end of the quote above this one. I know I will get flamed for this one big time, but you asked. Since this is a Lexus site, I hate to mention it, because I know how bias owners can be against the "competition"... (Lexus owners hate Mercedes and Mercedes owners hate Lexus, etc), but I have had three 1980s Mercedes that I have had very little issues with. My first one was a 1985 380SE with 273K miles (a 6 years older car and with 50K more miles). I never had one problem with that car other than brakes had to be changed a couple of times during ownership. Never no problems with sensors, mounts, bracket bearings, etc. I sold it because I wanted a diesel.... then I had a 1984 Mercedes 190D diesel last summer - never had one problem with that car, but sold it because I wanted a bigger Mercedes, so I now have a 1988 Mercedes 300SEL with 155K miles and have never had a problem with this car since I have owned it, other than replacing brake pads. No power steering leaks, no faulty sensors (bad coolant level sensor on my LS400), no bad engine mounts, no bad bracket bearings, etc and this car is even older. Knock on wood, hopefully it will stay like this for awhile.

Now I have had alot of Toyotas and have been super cars - my last LS400 was a super car - I had a 1993 Toyota Camry LE with 220K and never had one issue and never had to do anything to it. 1991 Honda Accord I owned.... bought at 161K, sold at 245K. Never anything but a timing belt, tires and brakes. Maybe I was lucky?

I am also not saying Mercedes are all excellent trouble-free cars. I said I had 80s models, which were super cars, but by the early 1990s, these cars lost their superior reliability and started having alot of issues and I think even today they still suffer. I would take a 90s Lexus over a 90s Mercedes anyday.

I know my Lexus is old and it has alot of miles, but I guess what frustrates me the most is that I cannot get straight answers on what all I have to remove to get to the bracket bearing, the fact that parts are so expensive (if you go with Lexus parts), and most everything has to be so difficult to change. I mean, a fan bracket I am told you have to practically remove everything down as far as the timing belt. Ludicrus. If this is a common problem item, it should be recommended to be changed at the timing belt interval. it took me forever to find out that my vibrations were caused by bad mounts. Even the dealer said it was the tires causing it, but it wasnt.
Old 02-13-09, 06:40 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

should be under $500.
Think he was talking about the t-belt and water pump replacement. LOL!
Old 02-13-09, 10:51 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^its not that bad for T belt and water pump job.
Old 02-13-09, 06:37 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trukn1
Think he was talking about the t-belt and water pump replacement. LOL!
I think so. When I bought this Lexus, the t-belt and water pump had just been replaced by the previous owner. He was the one that paid $1500 for this according to the sales slip. It was done at a dealer in Atlanta, so I guess its more in a large city. On my last LS400 I had, MY dealer wanted $500 for the same work.

I guess I will go with the $165. Lexus part and see if I can get that guy I know thats a Toyota tech to see if he wants to tackle it. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-09, 01:17 AM
EUBT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Well, this will kinda answer the end of the quote above this one. I know I will get flamed for this one big time, but you asked. Since this is a Lexus site, I hate to mention it, because I know how bias owners can be against the "competition"... (Lexus owners hate Mercedes and Mercedes owners hate Lexus, etc),
I don't think think that holds for all members. Just because many of their models compete directly with each other doesn't mean they can't be appreciated for their differences.

I know my Lexus is old and it has alot of miles, but I guess what frustrates me the most is that I cannot get straight answers on what all I have to remove to get to the bracket bearing, the fact that parts are so expensive (if you go with Lexus parts), and most everything has to be so difficult to change. I mean, a fan bracket I am told you have to practically remove everything down as far as the timing belt. Ludicrus. If this is a common problem item, it should be recommended to be changed at the timing belt interval. it took me forever to find out that my vibrations were caused by bad mounts. Even the dealer said it was the tires causing it, but it wasnt.
I know you have a few issues with your LS. Perhaps its time to cut your losses and get a newer copy or one with a solid maintenance history. Imo, that's the main ingredient to getting a quality car no matter what the brand!
Old 02-14-09, 09:43 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Very true. I know alot of folks that have a Lexus, as well as a Benz such as myself. I love my LS, dont get me wrong. Its just where these things have all kinda "piled up" on me. This latest deal with the fan bearing was a total shock to me. I was not expecting anything like that at all. I had no idea this was something that went out. I thought it was like a conventional fan and connected to the water pump, which I think would have been the logical thing, but more parts means more chances of failure and more $ for the company down the road, right?

Major mechanical, the car is fine - no oil leaks, no oil burning, no transmission leaks, etc. My only concern I had with the transmission that I am hoping is actually the transmission mount and/or engine mounts is that sometime at lower speeds when its in overdrive and in lock-up torque converter mode and I have to release the gas quickly and press it back quickly, I will get this "jerk" feel like there is some slack in something somewhere. Its just not total smoothness. Someone told me it could be the torque converter going out (which would be just super - just my luck), but I am hoping new engine/tranny mounts will eliminate that issue.

Originally Posted by EUBT
I don't think think that holds for all members. Just because many of their models compete directly with each other doesn't mean they can't be appreciated for their differences.

I know you have a few issues with your LS. Perhaps its time to cut your losses and get a newer copy or one with a solid maintenance history. Imo, that's the main ingredient to getting a quality car no matter what the brand!
Old 02-14-09, 10:05 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do agree that some of the older 80s MBZ were very high quality, German-made cars. 90s and above are utter junk, as JDPower, Consumer Report, and nearly every online blog have consistently pointed out.

Of course, however, I think their body lines were ugly as **** and I would never buy one.
Old 02-15-09, 04:39 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thats right... the 80s designs were the good ones (especially the big W126 S-Class (gas and diesels) and the smaller W123 (which were all diesel sedans/wagons). 1992-up S-Class Mercedes mechanical declined rapidly.

True too, some were not the best looking cars, but I think the W126 a nice looking style (and one that I have been told that Lexus was trying to copy to an extent when they LS400 came out). Alot of people (especially MB fans) like the W126 chassis. These are still desirable cars to alot of MB fans. Whats ironic is that the two Mercedes that I think are good looking cars (which was the W126 and W123) were designs that dated back to the 70s. The W126 was introduced in Europe in 1979 and brought to the USA in 1981 and kept that same chassis until 1991, so that says alot there. The W123 dates back to late 1976 and lasted until 1985.

I think that even the "uglier" ones were no worse than most other cars in the 1980s. There were ugly Japanese and American cars. I think the 1984-87 Honda Civic hatchback were ugly as sin, as were the Toyota Tercel hatchbacks of the same year. Thats just my opinion too though... everyone has one.

Originally Posted by avalon42
I do agree that some of the older 80s MBZ were very high quality, German-made cars. 90s and above are utter junk, as JDPower, Consumer Report, and nearly every online blog have consistently pointed out.

Of course, however, I think their body lines were ugly as **** and I would never buy one.
Old 02-16-09, 07:56 AM
JWCATTO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where you are in Tenn but I live in Spartanburg SC. I have done several of these and only charge 150.00 in labor plus parts. If someone is hitting you for more than that, you need to find a new shop. If the car can make it to Spartanburg, I will do it for you.
Old 02-16-09, 04:50 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I am in upstate east Tennessee - I think I am about 3 hours from Spartanburg, because my family in Anderson SC is 3 hours away. Thanks for the offer of replacing it, but its making a sound so bad, I dont think it would even make it down the road now, much less three hours away.

I am going to call a guy that I know tomorrow thats a Toyota tech and see how much he will replace it for.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by JWCATTO
Not sure where you are in Tenn but I live in Spartanburg SC. I have done several of these and only charge 150.00 in labor plus parts. If someone is hitting you for more than that, you need to find a new shop. If the car can make it to Spartanburg, I will do it for you.
Old 02-16-09, 05:42 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fan bracket is a decent DIY project, and I would also change the idler pulley bracket - Grainger stocks the bearing, a NTN 6301LLBC3 and it's a easy press in-press out job.

These cars are pretty reliable, but they're no Honda Accord as far as parts and ease of maintenance goes.

Quick Reply: Fan bracket bearing bad - what all should I replace? '91