LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 09:09 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by sethjon
I have a 2K with 170K on it. It was running fine but after your read I replaced it. It must be my imagination but after driving it only a mile I think it feels more powerful. Can that be possible? Also, I took it out very carefully but the plastic broke off and I know I was careful. Do you think its karma and it was about to break off? And if so maybe the connection was bad.
Yes you would feel a difference after replacing it but just after 1 mile, I don't think so. It's like anything you replace, you feel better when you complete a job. About the plastic piece, most everybody breaks it when it comes off no matter how gentle ya are with it. It does corrode from the inside out and yes the connection could have been bad. Either way you're much better off now.
Old 03-02-11, 11:08 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

mine didnt break when i pulled it off and i wasnt tryin to be gentle. just used a deep well socket. and i felt a diff in how much power the car had on the very first drive. a drastic change in the afr wil be noticable imidiatly!. ask anyone that has tuned a standalone. and if the ect was bad and reading full cold when the engine is fully warmed up, a new sensor will make a pretty big diff in how much more responsive the engine will be as well as the power.
Old 03-02-11, 12:26 PM
wcoastls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i changed the thermostat as well and now i can really feel the difference when tranny shifts so smoothly. wasnt aware etc sensor and thermostat will make this much diff. engine/tranny mounts are next.

also william82, attached pic from diff thread. u see the red arrow pointing to etc sensor, but do u know what sensor is the one above to the right? (shiny brass, smaller sensor)
Attached Thumbnails All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!-timingbelt32.jpg  
Old 03-02-11, 06:48 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wcoastls
i changed the thermostat as well and now i can really feel the difference when tranny shifts so smoothly. wasnt aware etc sensor and thermostat will make this much diff. engine/tranny mounts are next.

also william82, attached pic from diff thread. u see the red arrow pointing to etc sensor, but do u know what sensor is the one above to the right? (shiny brass, smaller sensor)
As miles56 told you in the thread you started, it's the temp sensor. I also posted there before I saw you asked in this thread also. That sensor is the one that works the gauge.
Old 03-02-11, 07:39 PM
wcoastls
Rookie

all good deanshark. thnx for that. since talking about mileage, on half tank i got about 170 miles ,which i dont think qualifies as getting optimal mileage, but 1/4 tank was before ect sensor n thermostat replacement. filled up again today to measure how far full tank will get.
Old 03-05-11, 09:55 AM
cdclark84
Driver School Candidate

i have check engine light that is on, it is a 94 ls400. is there a code reader i can buy to get the code myself instead of taking it to a dealer?
Old 03-05-11, 10:47 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Default Re: Code engine light #

Originally Posted by cdclark84
i have check engine light that is on, it is a 94 ls400. is there a code reader i can buy to get the code myself instead of taking it to a dealer?
Hi there. You could try what I did before joining CL. I would call mechanics at small shops and tell them the symptoms your car was having when it showed up. If none, see if they would look at it and tell you what the problem is, BUT ask prior if they will have to hook it up to the machine that identifies the problem, which can be close to $100. Otherwise, is there more information that you could give the car guru's here (not me!)? God Bless, good luck, Peace and Rock n Roll.
Old 03-05-11, 10:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdclark84
Try this to get your codes.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 03-05-11, 10:56 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Default If your gas mileage is not optimal, then mine wins the prize!

Originally Posted by wcoastls
all good deanshark. thnx for that. since talking about mileage, on half tank i got about 170 miles ,which i dont think qualifies as getting optimal mileage, but 1/4 tank was before ect sensor n thermostat replacement. filled up again today to measure how far full tank will get.
Hi there, on my 97 LS400 city/highway, I'm lucky to get 180-200 miles max!
Being in LA. I do run the A/C. I always use premium gas. WAAHH! Help please anyone.As always, Thank all of y'all. God Bless, Peace and Rock n Roll on LC!
Old 03-05-11, 11:05 AM
williamb82
Advanced

thats pretty bad. even at 16mpg i get ~350ish to the tank. and mine is highway. id say you have a clogged cat or something.
Old 03-05-11, 12:03 PM
lexuskim
Rookie

Originally Posted by williamb82
thats pretty bad. even at 16mpg i get ~350ish to the tank. and mine is highway. id say you have a clogged cat or something.
Hi williamb. Again sorry for naivite, but what is cat? Catalytic converter? When my mechanic had it for TB and WP jobs, would he have noticed something? Thanks.God Bless.
Old 03-05-11, 05:25 PM
williamb82
Advanced

yes, catalytic converter. and he wouldnt have noticed it if he didnt drive it. drive it at night. and after 15-20min, pull into a parking lot and get out and look under the car. see if anything is glowing. if it is, you have a clogged up cat.
Old 03-07-11, 10:41 PM
Terry007
Driver School Candidate

does this apply to a 98-2000 ?
and would you happen to have the part number ?
Thank you
Old 06-11-11, 10:22 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happened across this thread while looking for EGR and PCV info about my 96 model with 130K. I have only had this car for a couple of weeks but have been suspecting that it may be running rich and may be low on power. Today I decided to check the plugs and see how they looked. They all looked very good so I just added anti-seize and reinstalled. I replaced the PCV valve and the air filter. The throttle body was fairly dirty so I gave it a cleaning while I had the intake off. Overall, I felt like I hadn't really accomplished anything so I hit the forum and found this thread. I decided to run over to Autozone and buy the Duralast temp sensor for $15.99, installed it, and buttoned everything up. It seemed to start quicker, not idle quite as high at cold startup, and settle more quickly into a low idle. On the road it was immediately obvious that throttle response was more crisp and it seems to respond with more authority to additional throttle. I also feel like the shifting is more precise in both sport and normal modes. Overall, it feels more like what I was expecting when I purchased this car. I have been averaging around 19 MPG in combined city and highway with the two tanks of fuel I have run through it. I will be curious to see if that improves and I will be very surprised if it doesn't. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-01-11, 03:20 PM
blunden
Rookie

I tried to replace the ECT on my 1991 LS400, without success. First of all, the location looks nothing like the earlier photos in this thread. Mine appears to be on an angle, and there is only one sensor.

Second, the replacement part I bought (OEM part number 89422-20010) that others have used successfully (or the Duralast part SU4007) does not actually fit. In the part that is on the car, there are symmetric flanges either side of the sensor, but the SU4007 part is asymmetric, and clearly won't fit into the harness. Does anyone else with a 1991 model have the same problem? Either (a) this is not the ECT sensor, and that sensor is somewhere else on this model year, or (b) the ECT sensor for this model year has a different part number. (If the latter, I haven't been able to find it.)

Here is a photo showing the location of the sensor, and the SU4007 replacement part I bought (the brass one which is just lying there for comparison). Sorry that it is so fuzzy, but you can clearly see the symmetric flanges on the OEM part. On the replacement part the flange on the right is lower.
Attached Thumbnails All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!-img_2784.jpg  

Quick Reply: All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!