LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Beware Of Your Gas Tank. I Just Got Robbed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 04:29 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware Of Your Gas Tank. I Just Got Robbed.

1995 LS

I put $73.00 dollars of mid gas yesterday at $4.59 per gallon; I had the tank full. This afternoon when I got home from work I notice the gas tank was well below the half tank mark. I checked the door of the gas tank and I did not see any sign of force entry; I don't see a leak or smell any gas. My only reasonable guess is that someone had to funnel the gas out. I only drove from home to work and it's less than 3 miles. This had to happenned in front of my house last night. There is no way it could have happenned at work.
I've looked in ebay and will be ordering a gas cap with a lock for about $30.00 with shipping. Definetly worth it. They got me for more than $60.00 easily. I will also be notifying the police. Maybe someone else around here may have been robbed too.

How easy is to open the gas tank as it is ? is it that easy ?
Old 07-02-08, 05:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexChamp
1995 LS

I put $73.00 dollars of mid gas yesterday at $4.59 per gallon; I had the tank full. This afternoon when I got home from work I notice the gas tank was well below the half tank mark. I checked the door of the gas tank and I did not see any sign of force entry; I don't see a leak or smell any gas. My only reasonable guess is that someone had to funnel the gas out. I only drove from home to work and it's less than 3 miles. This had to happenned in front of my house last night. There is no way it could have happenned at work.
I've looked in ebay and will be ordering a gas cap with a lock for about $30.00 with shipping. Definetly worth it. They got me for more than $60.00 easily. I will also be notifying the police. Maybe someone else around here may have been robbed too.

How easy is to open the gas tank as it is ? is it that easy ?
Umm, just be glad nothing was damaged. A little lock on the gas tank cap or door isnt going to stop the robbers, they will easily pop it, and you will be out of gas and pay for the damages.
Old 07-02-08, 05:33 PM
LexChamp
Driver

So what preventive measures do you suggest ? I should just leave it as is and keep it as easy as possible for them to do it again ? Or do I spend a little money and make it as hard as posible for anyone who tries again. Isn't that why people get alarms in their cars. Alarms do not stop people from stealing cars, but if i'm going to steal something, wouln't steal the item that will present me with the least amount issues. I think that at least by getting the gas lock, I'm letting them know that I know I was robbed and I will take them longer to open the gas tank. I will also be investing in an alarm with some type of sensor that will sound if the car is even looked at. Gas is way to expensive for some punk to just come and take it.
Old 07-02-08, 06:52 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is really hard to siphon gas from and LS it has a blocking plate that stops that halfway down the neck .
A good alarm will cover you you could even add a pin switch to the door also.
Old 07-02-08, 07:55 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you over filled, the fuel guage may be inaccurate. Drive it and the needle may come back up. Or the other option is to see if you can get 5-10 more gallons in. I suspect that the guage is acting up.
Old 07-02-08, 09:41 PM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

As a police officer, I would highly advise you to leave it the way it is.

You see, lately, the trend has been removal by ANY means...If you have a locked gas cap, they are simply punching a hole in the bottom of your tank with a hollow steel tube, or cutting gas lines.

So which would you rather replace, a few gallons of gas, or a gas tank, or worse, the formed metal gas line?

I'll let them steal mine, but they probably won't do it in my neighborhood with the cruiser parked out front.
Old 07-02-08, 09:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

how do you know that the tank sensor isnt broken
Old 07-03-08, 12:41 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fill your tank up to verify and let us know.
Old 07-03-08, 10:08 AM
runumhard
Driver

maybe someone got your keys and went for a joy ride while you were sleeping
Old 07-03-08, 12:01 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put this on the back quarter of the window glass

http://www.militariapress.com/miva/g...0001/RG047.jpg
Old 07-03-08, 04:56 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

you might want to check under your car as well.................................................................... i've heard stories
Old 07-03-08, 05:19 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not really possible to get to our tanks under the car seeing that they're behind the back seat.

Not sure about gas lines either as I don't know if anything, or very much anyway, will get past the pump without the pump actually being on.
Old 07-03-08, 10:54 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

I don't know, does not make much sense. They siphoned out only 1/2 tank?

Do this. Try to stick a tube down into the gas tank.
Old 07-03-08, 11:00 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the sender unit is broken?
Old 07-03-08, 11:02 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

/\ 2nd on the "go try to fill up" suggestion, that was a good one.. Get back to us.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Your Gas Tank. I Just Got Robbed.