LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Exhaust video clip

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 08:31 PM
jdmsole06
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 Exhaust video clip

here's a link video for the exhaust sound clip. Let me know what ya'll think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cGNydS_xLE
Old 04-26-08, 09:01 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say straight pipe to flows.. you mean you took the cats off? I don't really know what I think about it... what series flows did you put on there?
Old 04-26-08, 09:06 PM
jdmsole06
Driver

i had it cut all the way from cats....as for the series of flows im not sure coz when the car was purchased it was already on. basically i took off both cats and all resonators and had them weld in new pipes.
Old 04-26-08, 09:20 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good man!
Old 04-26-08, 09:21 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmsole06
i had it cut all the way from cats....as for the series of flows im not sure coz when the car was purchased it was already on. basically i took off both cats and all resonators and had them weld in new pipes.
hmm.. i really think it would have sounded better, albeit quieter, with the cats left on...but, I do know that cameras have a difficult time picking up a wide range of sounds accurately, especially when it is loud. It does come off as sounding kind of "tinny", but that definitely can be an effect that the mic on the camera gives it. Do you notice a difference? And if so, what is it? Thanks!
Old 04-26-08, 09:25 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds really tinny.
Old 04-26-08, 10:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

thats both tinny and raspy as all hell.

not a fan.
Old 04-26-08, 11:06 PM
jdmsole06
Driver

yeah its raspy and tinny...it annoyed me at 1st but when i rolled my windows down and punched it sounded really good and on steady idle it has a low rumble.... i think i grown to like haha...it is going to be a temporary set up, just wanna get the body work done 1st
Old 04-27-08, 06:08 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Not bad at all... I got magnaflows, but rocked straight from the cats-back for over half of a year. It was lots of fun.

I am considering cutting my cats now too... I think they're robbing me of power, and I doubt they're doing me good after 192k miles.
Old 04-27-08, 08:10 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pipe is aluminized which is why it is so tinee sounding . Also sounds like it has tips and not mufflers. What size is the piping almost sounds like 2.5 also. Change the piping to a better metal and it will sound much better.
Old 04-29-08, 08:38 AM
jdmsole06
Driver

Originally Posted by pfantom68
Not bad at all... I got magnaflows, but rocked straight from the cats-back for over half of a year. It was lots of fun.

I am considering cutting my cats now too... I think they're robbing me of power, and I doubt they're doing me good after 192k miles.
Thank you! It sure is alot of fun when you step on it lolz. When was the last time you changed the cats? If its been awhile then might as well cut em coz they might be clogged which causes to loss power. mine felt like there was not enough pressure realeasing when i had cats on. when i went to the muffler shop they showed me how beat up they were. i think it was the same cats when it rolled out the show room floor. im saving gas too which i never expected.

Originally Posted by skperformance
The pipe is aluminized which is why it is so tinee sounding . Also sounds like it has tips and not mufflers. What size is the piping almost sounds like 2.5 also. Change the piping to a better metal and it will sound much better.
i believe pipes are aluminum. im sure they are mufflers with tips coz when i raise my car the muffler has FLOWMASTER printed on them. they were in the car when i got it so i could be wrong. yes pipes are 2.5 but this is a temp set up for now till i find better mufflers. They only charged me 30 bucks for the new piping so i said"F#$k It" lol.
Old 04-29-08, 10:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

they aren't aluminum, 95% sure its aluminized steel......
Old 04-29-08, 10:57 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dosn't sound right for an LS, too raspy and ricey for my taste.

Go with 2 1/4" piping, some resonators and mufflers with stainless pipes. it will sound perfect

and get some DTMs to fill in those cut outs car is lookin good man.
Old 04-29-08, 11:39 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with some 2 1/4 youll notice alittle more pep and IMO she needs some new cats, it will sound better and youll pass smog... wait nvm your not in ca you lucky dog. keep it up its a blast to drive with exhaust everyones like WTF?! no way thats coming from that lex!!
Old 04-29-08, 04:07 PM
jdmsole06
Driver

Originally Posted by jcrome04
dosn't sound right for an LS, too raspy and ricey for my taste.

Go with 2 1/4" piping, some resonators and mufflers with stainless pipes. it will sound perfect

and get some DTMs to fill in those cut outs car is lookin good man.
the old set up it had is the same exact one mentioned but it just wasnt loud enough for me lolz. i wanted something that will make it sound mean and loud. this is a temp set up for now till i get bigger/better pipings, x pipe and a different muffler. thanks for the compliments too

Originally Posted by Brandicus
I agree with some 2 1/4 youll notice alittle more pep and IMO she needs some new cats, it will sound better and youll pass smog... wait nvm your not in ca you lucky dog. keep it up its a blast to drive with exhaust everyones like WTF?! no way thats coming from that lex!!:thumbup :
OMFG what you said in the last line is exactly what i had in my head when i first put em on lolz. its funny coz yesterday someone stopped me and asked what car it is and if i swapped a 5.0 mustang motor in it and did not believe me when i said NO. so i dipped on his a$$ lolz...one question, what kind of exhaust do you have? i like the style of the tips

Quick Reply: LS400 Exhaust video clip