LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Do you have exhaust or intake mods on your LS400?
I have done exhaust mods.
3.57%
I have done intake mods.
17.86%
I have done both.
39.29%
I have done neither.
39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Have you done exhaust or intake mods or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 02:45 PM
haulin79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you done exhaust or intake mods or both?

Have you done exhaust or intake mods or both?
Old 03-31-08, 03:40 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

no mods yet but getting a k&n air filter pretty soon. want to get new mufflers w/ chrome tips. would be nice
Old 03-31-08, 05:10 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

soon as i get mine I'm doing an intake mod and possibly a new exhaust setup.
Old 03-31-08, 05:54 PM
haulin79
Driver

This will be my first V8 engine vehicle, so I want a nice rumbly exhaust.
Old 03-31-08, 07:50 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should add for people who have modified the car what their average mileage is with what modification and of course the year and mileage.
Old 03-31-08, 08:07 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tallman316
no mods yet but getting a k&n air filter pretty soon. want to get new mufflers w/ chrome tips. would be nice
Just some friendly advice,.. I'd drop the K&N, and leave stock. At the most put in a high-flow paper filter. Our MAF sensors are rediculously sensitive,.. and the oil from the K&N can and has messed quite a few up.

I think due to our filter being right next to the MAF is the reason it is so prominent. Some cars have the filter a good 2-3+ feet from the Sensor, (ie: closer to beginning of tubing) -- Which wouldn't allow the oil to get on the sensor nearly as easily.

Just my 2 cents.. It isn't guaranteed your MAF will have troubles, but the benefit of a K&N is basically zero on this car. I just don't see it being worth the risk. If you do go with it, at least put on very LITTLE oil -- Less than you think it needs.. and let it dry for an hour or more outside the vehicle before you put it in.

Exhaust,.. go to town on that -- Just on the tubing (not including tips, tips can be whatever size you want) -- Don't go over 2.5inches -- and preferably keep it at 2 and 1/4" -- The V8 of the LS 400 needs alot of backpressure, and huge tubing without a power adder up front will hurt low end torque.

Have fun.
Old 03-31-08, 08:11 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive had my K&N drop in since June and havent been a problem.
Old 03-31-08, 08:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the K&N is only a problem when people overoil the filter and/or dont let it dry properly.
Old 03-31-08, 08:43 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the K&N is only a problem when people overoil the filter and/or dont let it dry properly.
+1 my air filter straight up on my MAF
Old 03-31-08, 08:44 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neofate
I think due to our filter being right next to the MAF is the reason it is so prominent. Some cars have the filter a good 2-3+ feet from the Sensor, (ie: closer to beginning of tubing) -- Which wouldn't allow the oil to get on the sensor nearly as easily.
Why does a car need an MAF anyways? Is it so that the injectors know how much fuel to feed the engine depending on airflow?
Old 03-31-08, 09:10 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

That is my thoughts, which is why I said it first

Don't overoil, underoil if anything, and let dry for a long time. This is why most people end up messing up contaminating their MAF.

Again, I didn't say it was definite, and that K&N would cause the problem -- I just said there isn't any reason to add one. All evidence points to no savings in fuel economy, no power, and no increased protection on filtering.

I would use one for the heck of it if it didn't require oil. I just don't chance my sensitive MAF sensor for such a negligable effect. This isn't to say those who have them made a mistake, its a personal risk vs reward preference.

The whole argument it saves money and is easier to clean than replace with a new one is bunk on these cars imo. K&N is an easy $40 -- A new air filter is 8-10$. So you can get at least 4 new air filters for the price of a K&N. I typically don't have to change air filters but about once a year. So I'd rather pull old out throw away and have a brand new one in. Just me though.

Anyhow --

The MAF sensor is a simple device really.

It measures the volume of air coming into the engine. Hence "Mass Air Flow".

The electronic element(s) inside hold a voltage/current that is altered by the amount of air coming into the intake (passing through the MAF) -- This difference or addition is sent to the ECU which makes the appropriate commands for the engine.

To simplify -- The V8 Engine is an Air Pump.. meaning more air in = more air out. Thus more power in this scenario.

Of course the engine isn't just an air pump -- but it does the job. Make sense?

Of course there are much more technical ways to explain the MAF, but this is a good generalization.
Old 03-31-08, 11:04 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

both = amazing. Sounds aggressive and runs smoother
Old 03-31-08, 11:08 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
both = amazing. Sounds aggressive and runs smoother

What exact exhaust and intake have you done? You say it runs smoother? How so? The LS can run smoother? hehe..

How agressive is your setup? Is it overly loud, or just a hint of the V8 apparent whereas before no one can tell.
Old 04-02-08, 02:57 PM
haulin79
Driver

Do you know of a good article or website that explains exhaust system design well?

For instance, I have heard that when optimizing an exhaust system, you should not think in terms of backpressure, you should think in terms of velocity.

For example, when people say the LS400 needs backpressure, what they actually mean is that the velocity needs to be high (i.e. by not using too large diameter tubing). Another way of achieveing backpressure is by using 4 inch tubing but filling it with steel wool...but that is not the way to make good power/torque either.
Old 04-02-08, 03:31 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not go over 2 1/4" piping for your exhaust.

I'm thinking about having my entire ehaust system done into an "X pipe" type setup in 2" just to keep the quieness and get some more flow out of it. Just an idea for now though.. any thoughts on that??

Oh and if you do a mod to your intake like the "JBrady" or "Lexcost" setup, expect to get at least a 2mpg loss in mileage

Quick Reply: Have you done exhaust or intake mods or both?