LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 10:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say overkill in my case, I had very few problems fueling with the stock injectors. The main reason I decided to put the 315's in was because I found that the injector orings were leaking where they seal to the intake manifold. Figured while I'm changing the orings, I'd throw in the injectors.

I imagine they are hard to find, but I haven't looked.

KC

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
any particular reason you didnt go with the bigger RX7 injectors? overkill or just hard to find?
Old 03-25-08, 02:21 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds good -- good rate for the horsepower. So your running about 400hp now. Thats a touch more than what one should 'expect' from the factory -- lol.

Actually at ~400hp,.. I'd leave it alone as far as the trim on the supercharger goes. What you have is enough. I would only tweak other parts,.. as you mention intake cooling/air density and so forth. Make it a bit more efficient, but no need for more horsepower. You don't race it regularly do you?

Though it is a sleeper now -- What are your 0-60 stats (ballpark).. and quarter?
Old 03-25-08, 04:50 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

For now, my goal is to maximize what I have. I won't consider putting a bigger headunit on until the one I have now dies, which hopefully won't be anytime soon. No, I don't race.

It is one heck of a sleeper for sure, which is a good thing, helps keep me out of trouble. It's also pretty quiet, which adds to the sleeper effect. I could only guess at quarter mile times, but I average (with brake boosting) 5 second 0-60's. I have had one run at 4.5 seconds and a few in the 4.8 range.

KC

Originally Posted by Neofate
Sounds good -- good rate for the horsepower. So your running about 400hp now. Thats a touch more than what one should 'expect' from the factory -- lol.

Actually at ~400hp,.. I'd leave it alone as far as the trim on the supercharger goes. What you have is enough. I would only tweak other parts,.. as you mention intake cooling/air density and so forth. Make it a bit more efficient, but no need for more horsepower. You don't race it regularly do you?

Though it is a sleeper now -- What are your 0-60 stats (ballpark).. and quarter?
Old 03-25-08, 06:20 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Nice -- Now imagine if it was an LS, with 400+ HP. Sub 5 second 0-60's.. Can you imagine the guy in the Mustang or Vette next to you?

Although with our tranny, and shift patterns, I wouldn't be so sure about the car 'not' breaking loose from 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd.

I also wonder what increasing HP by 100+ has on the transmission as it wasn't designed for such power. Hrmm
Old 03-25-08, 01:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you're either going to need slicks to get sub 5 sec 0-60 from where you start....

either that, a lot more than 400hp, or a lot LESS than the ~4000lbs off the curb weight

oh, and some better gearing for the rear would help too, the SC guys can just swap for supra diffs, 1st gen /early 2nd gen LS' can't. and no, it hasnt been confirmed for the post MC 2nd gen.
Old 03-25-08, 02:48 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you're either going to need slicks to get sub 5 sec 0-60 from where you start....

either that, a lot more than 400hp, or a lot LESS than the ~4000lbs off the curb weight

oh, and some better gearing for the rear would help too, the SC guys can just swap for supra diffs, 1st gen /early 2nd gen LS' can't. and no, it hasnt been confirmed for the post MC 2nd gen.
I have done a few sub 5 second runs with brake boosting, on the stock tires. I do have a Supra Torsen in the rear with stock gears.

I have had a few 4.5 - 4.8 second runs. Check the videos.

One example - http://youtube.com/watch?v=nC7a-TpcSXc

KC
Old 03-26-08, 01:17 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

He was referring to an LS, not your SC

Still an LS could be made to have enough traction for sub 5, even with 400-450 hp. The ultimate sleeper. I would be so embarassed in my sports car if a Sedan smoked me
Old 03-26-08, 09:02 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Plutting a super charger on a lexus will work just fine due to the way the engine is built bullet proof. The main bearing are huge and have massive bolts holding it together. There is a company in Vista Ca that puts the lexus engine in racing boats and run them at 7000 rpms all day long with out any problems. They did go to redline snythetic oil for film strenght running a super charger which helps keeps the bearnings cool and running free. The Lexus engine is the only car engine from the crate that is FAA certified for custom aircraft. YOUR SUPER CHARGER LOOKS JUST GREAT.
Old 03-26-08, 09:18 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neofate
He was referring to an LS, not your SC

Still an LS could be made to have enough traction for sub 5, even with 400-450 hp. The ultimate sleeper. I would be so embarassed in my sports car if a Sedan smoked me
Ya, I realized he meant LS traction after I posted.

I think most people in high dollar sports cars would be embarassed if I beat them, I think they'd take their car back to the dealer if an LS beat them. LOL.

KC
Old 03-26-08, 09:28 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
Plutting a super charger on a lexus will work just fine due to the way the engine is built bullet proof. The main bearing are huge and have massive bolts holding it together. There is a company in Vista Ca that puts the lexus engine in racing boats and run them at 7000 rpms all day long with out any problems. They did go to redline snythetic oil for film strenght running a super charger which helps keeps the bearnings cool and running free. The Lexus engine is the only car engine from the crate that is FAA certified for custom aircraft. YOUR SUPER CHARGER LOOKS JUST GREAT.
Their's no doubt that the Toyota V8 is tough, but it too does have it's limits. Keep in mind the 96 and up SC's and the 95 and up LS's have weaker rods than the earlier V8's. The weak point of the earlier motors is the pistons, everything else is forged.

Long story short, I used to work for Toyota Marine Sports before Toyota gave up on the idea of USA market ski boats. The only motor they used in the boats was the 1UZ. I once saw one of the motors run without oil or coolant for about 2 hours. It was smoking a little from the heat, but it made absolutely no noise and it never did blow.

I've been a Toyota tech for going on seven years now. I've seen a few Tundra's (2UZ) leave the shop without oil in them, lube tech forgot to fill it up. Usually when the customer comes back complaining that their oil light is on, oil would be put in and the customer let go.

KC
Old 03-27-08, 08:05 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I've seen a few Tundra's (2UZ) leave the shop without oil in them, lube tech forgot to fill it up. Usually when the customer comes back complaining that their oil light is on, oil would be put in and the customer let go.
Yup. Or they thread the oil the pan. Or forget to change the filter.

Which is why I DIY.
Old 03-27-08, 04:03 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of repsect to you for doing custom work. Great car with great results.
I love sleepers!!!. I had Lincolns runing in 13's in the past, so I know a thing about sleepers.

Few questions. Is the car running well in normal driving situations? Any set backs, or problems with normal driving.
I think 400 Hp is pleanty for that car. Without the suspension mods and tranny mods, thats as good as it will get, being ona safe side.
Old 03-27-08, 05:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Lots of repsect to you for doing custom work. Great car with great results.
I love sleepers!!!. I had Lincolns runing in 13's in the past, so I know a thing about sleepers.

Few questions. Is the car running well in normal driving situations? Any set backs, or problems with normal driving.
I think 400 Hp is pleanty for that car. Without the suspension mods and tranny mods, thats as good as it will get, being ona safe side.
The car is running about 99% perfect with normal driving, even with the bigger injectors. It does stumble lean sometimes from a stop, but I'm pretty sure its a tuning issue I haven't worked out yet.

Lots of set backs during the whole process. Again, mostly due to putting boost on old parts. And....my newbness with forced induction. I have never put boost on any car before, this is my first, and I picked a hell of one to start with.

So far the trans seems to be handling the power quite well. No problems, knock on wood. I have a fluid cooler I need to install one of these days.

KC
Old 03-28-08, 10:02 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job KC,

LS will be alot easier then SC due to the fuse box rotation and no mod to the frame either. I have a guy locally is doing one in his LS with "The Fish" He install the bracket few months ago but he still driving the car daily without a blower. This is one nice thing about centrifugal is that you still can drive the car without a blower. Of all FI system out there. This is the easiest of all beside NOS. Centrifugal is very simple. Its almost like an alternator. Not much heat produce by the charger and can be intercooled. Root intercooling is very hard. As for turbo... lots of money, lots of time and lots downtime too.

KC,

I saw your recently dyno.... very impressive for supercharger.
Old 04-02-08, 08:56 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

If it doesn't get rained out, I'll be going to the local eigth mile track tomorrow, I'll post results!

KC

Quick Reply: Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!