LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS has lateral vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 10:48 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 LS has lateral vibration

Gentlemen,
I am getting a slight lateral vibration at around 65 mph. It vibrates the steering wheel, and you feel it in the car. And no, I haven't hit any curbs, and the car tracks straight. Wheels unbalanced? Or do you think it's something else?

Thanks,
David
Old 03-21-08, 11:01 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
Gentlemen,
I am getting a slight lateral vibration at around 65 mph. It vibrates the steering wheel, and you feel it in the car. And no, I haven't hit any curbs, and the car tracks straight. Wheels unbalanced? Or do you think it's something else?

Thanks,
David
Yes, balancing the wheels is the first place to look .. likely culprit.

But some other things to check if that isn't the trick.

1) Bad tire (and or tires) Sometimes they can go bad in a section and cause similiar shimmy's.

2) Severely warped rotor.. at certain speeds, believe it or not, can do this without the brakes depressed. Of course when applied it would.

3) Alignment, but you've ruled that out.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head that isn't 'damage' to components of the car -- Balance is cheap, I'd go with that first... and inspect the tires well.
Old 03-21-08, 11:17 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Neofate
Yes, balancing the wheels is the first place to look .. likely culprit.

But some other things to check if that isn't the trick.

1) Bad tire (and or tires) Sometimes they can go bad in a section and cause similiar shimmy's.

2) Severely warped rotor.. at certain speeds, believe it or not, can do this without the brakes depressed. Of course when applied it would.

3) Alignment, but you've ruled that out.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head that isn't 'damage' to components of the car -- Balance is cheap, I'd go with that first... and inspect the tires well.

One thing you brought up was a severely warped rotor, I just had all the rotors re-surfaced at my Lexus dealership. However, if it was warped, would I not feel it during braking??
Old 03-21-08, 11:24 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, you would -- The warped rotor is a severe warp to cause the vibration at high speeds without using them.

I just brought it up as a 'cause' -- I really, really don't think that is your issue at all.

Get them balanced tommorow, and I think you'll be happy to report problem solved. Balance is rather cheap and worth it for sure.

Again, you would feel the pedal vibrating and possibly the steering wheel as you brake with a warped rotor, given they were just resurfaced, things should be just fine in that department.
Old 03-21-08, 11:35 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
One thing you brought up was a severely warped rotor, I just had all the rotors re-surfaced at my Lexus dealership. However, if it was warped, would I not feel it during braking??
Make sure you get a road force balance, or any place with a hunter 9700 balancer.

You can google the company, and find location of stores who carry the machine. Does a GREAT job of eliminating vibrations.
Old 03-21-08, 11:52 PM
Atl
Driver

Default Thank you All!

You guys are the BEST!!!!
Old 03-22-08, 12:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yea, LS' are very sensitive to wheel balance so id look at that first.
Old 03-22-08, 03:21 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tranny mount, I am pretty sure of it,
Especially if you balanced the tires 5 times and the vibration is still there.

Also, if the strut bar b ushings are worn out, you will get mild vibrations felt in the steering wheel.. I went through this with my 98.
Old 03-22-08, 04:29 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Tranny mount, I am pretty sure of it,
Especially if you balanced the tires 5 times and the vibration is still there.

Also, if the strut bar b ushings are worn out, you will get mild vibrations felt in the steering wheel.. I went through this with my 98.
What are you talking about tbilisi?

Tranny mount? A tranny mount isn't going to cause a shimmy at 65mph on the dot..

Where do you get that he's balanced the tires 5 times and the vibration is still there. He hasn't had them balanced yet,.. and is asking if that would be the answer

I say keep is simple .. go get them balanced, the advice of the 'machine' used would be a good idea to call around on -- Then take it in this morning. Should take care of it.

Speaking of tires --

I know when shops put new tires on they generally put them on the back due to laws.

However, is it still true you want your tirs with the best tread (and higher quality ride) to be on the front?

If that is true,.. I need to move mine up front and get a balance. I have some good michelins that have about 4,000 miles on them on the back, and some lower grade older tires on the front.

I'd like to rotate them and balance them if that might improve ride quality, if the better tread is preferred on the front still.

Thanks
Old 03-22-08, 09:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

actually yea it can, a busted up trans mount can cause vibration at a specific RPM, i know, when they took my trans mount out (couldnt do it myself, didnt feel like dropping my custom exhaust ) it came out in a few pieces...
Old 03-22-08, 10:06 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Atl, rotate the tires on only one side and then drive it,if it is gone than you found it, if it is the same than rotate the other side....most likely it is one front or both.....This will then elimate the tire part.
Old 03-22-08, 12:56 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Neofate
What are you talking about tbilisi?

Tranny mount? A tranny mount isn't going to cause a shimmy at 65mph on the dot..

Where do you get that he's balanced the tires 5 times and the vibration is still there. He hasn't had them balanced yet,.. and is asking if that would be the answer

I say keep is simple .. go get them balanced, the advice of the 'machine' used would be a good idea to call around on -- Then take it in this morning. Should take care of it.

Speaking of tires --

I know when shops put new tires on they generally put them on the back due to laws.

However, is it still true you want your tirs with the best tread (and higher quality ride) to be on the front?

If that is true,.. I need to move mine up front and get a balance. I have some good michelins that have about 4,000 miles on them on the back, and some lower grade older tires on the front.

I'd like to rotate them and balance them if that might improve ride quality, if the better tread is preferred on the front still.

Thanks
Been there and done that, $250.00 for the tranny mounts. $200.00 for engine mounts, replaced leaking rear main seal $800.00, one head gasket $n/c, they felt sorry for me. Plus the timing belt service, and the rotors resurfaced. So the wheel balancing will be next.
No idea where my balancing the wheels 5 times came from, this will be the first time.

Thanks everyone,
David

P.S. Only a few more servicings, and every part will be brand new!

Last edited by Atl; 03-22-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 05:19 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
Gentlemen,

Thanks,
David
I had the same vibration problem (started at about 75,000 miles) starting at about 65 mph until I had the strut bars replaced at about 85,000 miles.

The strut bar bushings were shot but it was cheaper to have the entire strut bar assembles replaced - total cost was about $500 last year at a Lexus dealer. If I had been doing the work myself, it would have been cheaper to buy new strut bar bushings and have them pressed into the old strut bars.

I was surprised that the strut bar bushings on my 00 LS400 did not last as long as the ones on my previous 90 LS - I think those went at least 110,000 miles.
Old 03-22-08, 05:24 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Hrmm.. I was taking a look at my suspension today with the front wheels off -- Some of those bushings look beat.. If I could only get those parts off (no impact wrench) -- I'd be bringing them in for the bushings to be pressed in, as PD mentioned was cheap at NAPA.

I know the struts need it, but other than the bushings , by design, they should be just fine (like new with bushings) -- Shocks and springs are a different story though.
Old 03-22-08, 07:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Atl
Been there and done that, $250.00 for the tranny mounts. $200.00 for engine mounts, replaced leaking rear main seal $800.00, one head gasket $n/c, they felt sorry for me. Plus the timing belt service, and the rotors resurfaced. So the wheel balancing will be next.
No idea where my balancing the wheels 5 times came from, this will be the first time.

Thanks everyone,
David

P.S. Only a few more servicings, and every part will be brand new!
they charged you $250 to install trans mount?

its a $35 part and doesnt take more than and hour to replace....

Quick Reply: 99 LS has lateral vibration