LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Pump replaced -- Still a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 05:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can give you 99% certainty that its a bad pump. Sometimes this is what happens with aftermarket parts - but they should carry at least 6 month warranty.
Old 03-21-08, 06:22 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah remanned pumps,alternators, starters, etc. are hit or miss gambles.
Old 03-21-08, 11:28 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Odd quality if it is a bad pump,.. Only because the pump before that I thought was 'bad',.. was 'better' acting than this 'bad' new pump

If the solenoid is working on the rack properly then it has to be the pump in some manner. The pump works when it feels like it, and never at idle.. Are the rotors slipping in the pump? I mean come on

When you rebuild them they aren't that hard to do.. how can there be so much variability in reman/rebuilt pumps?

*Btw the mehanic who put it on said just to bring it by one morning and he is going to try to remove the solenoid and clean the screen. I was smiling as he explained it to me,.. and I told him I already did that. He said he wanted to do it again because of the change of parts.

More power to him, I just hope either that works (hah) -- or he figures out something that is wrong when he is under there.
Old 03-21-08, 12:27 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

On other forums people are pushing more to the Pump not being bad -- and to flush it again, and then bleed it really well. I'm going to try that again, along with testing the Solenoid for the 'click'.

A) I assume it is safe, with the solenoid off, to plug in the electrical components with it out of the rack and turn key to on position and listen for a click.. right? It clicks, it is at least working.

B) Any tips/guides/parts on plugging the acv and looping things properly. I might as well do that if I am going to eliminate all I can on this.

I've heard a special bolt, I've heard an oil drain bolt,.. What should I ask for at the auto parts store ?

And after plugging it, what about the vaccum lines,.. just loop them?
Old 07-20-08, 02:25 PM
jenya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you fixed the issue?

I have exactly the same problem with my 1992 LS 400.
Replaced PS pump(used one) replaced the rack(used one) no luck. Tested the solenoid, bleed the system and still no luck.
Originally my rack was fine had not any leaks, the same as PS pump. After replacing them with used ones I still don't have any idle or leak problems, but symptoms left the same.
On idle it would quit working until I rev. the engine (sometimes up to 2000 rpm, sometimes up to 3000 rpm).
Please anybody help.
Old 07-20-08, 04:04 PM
dacecil
Rookie

I tried the special bolt as recommended in the P/S bible. I couldn't keep it from leaking.

Then I just took out the ACV and welded up the back side of it and reinstalled it. Remove the plastic housing where the vacuum lines enter. No leak. I plugged the vacuum lines with screws.

But, I never had the same symptoms you refer to. I had the smoky startup and the pump howl due to low fluid levels.

Dale
Old 07-20-08, 05:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Where is Neofate anyway... he just disappeared one day all of a sudden.
Old 07-20-08, 08:41 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Last Activity: 04-16-08 11:40 AM
Old 07-21-08, 05:31 PM
jenya
Driver School Candidate

Yeah my problem is the same as Neofate had, I don't have any white smoke and my fluid level always stays the same.

I am probably going to buy a refurbished pump from autohausaz.com. The price is $191.22 and it says refurbished OEM(Maval).

I bought a lot parts from them before (BMW parts) and they seamed to sell good quality parts.

That would be pretty bad if their pump will not help, I can't think about anything else, how to fix it
Old 11-24-19, 06:31 PM
LexuTexas
Driver School Candidate

Default Psp switch power steering issues idle

Originally Posted by Neofate
Hey guys,

Just replaced the power steering pump and reservoir.

The Rack and Pinion has been replaced as well.

No more pulley wobble, no more noise.

However,.. *Randomly* -- At idle when not moving, the power steering just goes out. It is very hard to turn the wheels, as if the power steering was not doing anything. Although sometimes (only tested it on the drive home) -- when coming to a stop it will work fine.

***Note at speed the power steering works very flawlessly/smoothly****

So when I got in my driveway, and stopped, it was very hard to turn at idle. I put it in neutral and revved it up .. As I revved the engine the power steering would work smooth again,.. let it fall back down to idle.. very tough.

So all that is left is the Air control valve.

This how a bad Air control valve would react? Work sometimes, sometimes not? Get your rpms up a little and everything function properly?

If so, then I know that is where to go to next --

Also, there is cheap fix, plug , for this Air control valve. If I plug this thing will the power steering work at idle? Will it be tough like it is now to turn the wheels? Or plugging it still make it work to some degree at idle so I can turn the wheels without really putting muscle into it. (Be fairly tough on a small female driver).

Thanks for the input.

Keep in mind, New Rack and Pinion, Cleaned Solenoid Screen, Flushed Twice, Brand new Power Steering Pump/Reservoir -- And Zero leaks in the engine etc. There *might* be a small leak into the engine as I've seen some white'ish smoke come out the tail pipe on start ups.. but it is very random. 3/5 times it won't happen, then all of the sudden one start up a puff will come out. So maybe that is a bit of PS fluid leaking in, as the ACV is going bad but works 'sometimes' so sometimes it leaks and others it doesn't? --

Otherwise, all it could be is the Air control valve, there is nothing else that could lead to this problem that hasn't been replaced and from what I described..

If it is what I think it is -- Do I have to pull the whole pump out again to replace the ACV -- and say I just wanted to plug the ACV, can I do that without pulling the pump out?

I think that covers all questions I'd have --

Again, thanks. *We'll get this thing licked sooner than later*
Try to check out the power steering pressure switch on it. May need new one.
Old 02-10-20, 11:09 AM
shwhitley
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem with my 05 LS430 before I put a new rack in it the car was driving fine, put a new rack in it and the steering was sluggish then almost no power steering ability at all. Pretty scary going down the street like that. Dealer put another new rack on it and it's still doing the same thing. They're escalating it to see if they can figure out what the problem is. The car has been in the shop like two weeks now.
Old 02-10-20, 11:30 AM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by shwhitley
I'm having the same problem with my 05 LS430 before I put a new rack in it the car was driving fine, put a new rack in it and the steering was sluggish then almost no power steering ability at all. Pretty scary going down the street like that. Dealer put another new rack on it and it's still doing the same thing. They're escalating it to see if they can figure out what the problem is. The car has been in the shop like two weeks now.
So what prompted the rack replacement if it was driving fine prior...?
Old 02-10-20, 12:08 PM
shwhitley
Driver School Candidate

the old one was leaking
Old 02-10-20, 12:22 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Well I'm guessing you searched and found tons of info on the LS400 PS pumps failing which landed you here but your 430 has a different pump that rarely fails.
There are a couple things to look at...
Are you sure it was the rack leaking and not the hose leading from the reservoir to the pump. This hose becomes brittle with age cracks usually close to the pump. A leak from this location drips down often being mistaken for rack leaks. The return hose leading to the reservoir can do the same thing.
There's also a tiny screen in the PPS solenoid that causes a high pressure situation when restricted. The PPS solenoid mounts directly to the rack on the drivers side. All these can be remedied without replacing the rack.
Old 02-11-20, 05:00 AM
shwhitley
Driver School Candidate

I will have them check the PPS solenoid. Wish I had known about the possible leaks in other places before I had the rack replaced...should have known to come here first! Although I did get underneath the car when it was on the lift and it did appear the rack was leaking...but it's dark under there too lol

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump replaced -- Still a problem?