LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is necessary? PS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 06:16 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is necessary? PS.

I have been going through a myriad of threads on PS pump removal on both SC and LS's -- They seem somewhat similar.. though I can't imagine the removal process being identical. (Are they?)

Anyhow.

I was thinking removal of the pump would be something like remove air intake ducting, serpentine belt, hoses, and get the the bolts.. Lift out best you can.

Wrong..

There is the 'great' PS pump thread stickied, but it leaves alot to be desired, and anytime someone asks about how do I do this or that, the answer is 'search'. So, there are bits and pieces of information but nothing complete.. and conflicting information.

One thread I went through mentions removing all of what I said, jacking car off ground,.. removing shields on bottom. Removing the SWAY bar? Really?

Removing the altenator,.. removing the High pressure hose compeltely.

Question on this one. The HP hose is not cheap,.. I know it is smart to change it out if you can afford it, but is this an absolute must? The thread mentioned the High pressure hose would likely break when you remove the pump from it anyway.. so have a new one ready to install.

That almost doubles the original price of the repair. -- So what is the consensus here? If that is true, then PS pump removal should always have included HP Hose removal and installation with it -- The PS pump fix should always be referred to as a 250-300~$ fix at cheapest yourself,.. and a great deal more at a mechanic.

Then on top of that,.. there is the great Air control valve to replace. Tack on another 100-200 for that.. and the job really starts to get expensive..

One more question on this process -- I got a nice boost of white smoke on startup today after I had the vehicle sitting on a down slope for a few hours. More than it has done before,.. made me wonder more than ever if the ACV is leaking (Also puts thoughts of headgasket leakage and so on in my head.. sigh) --

My question here is plugging and bypassing this really just as good as replacing it? Is it really not noticeable at all? -- Good or bad I will replace or plug it,.. as I won't be able to tell if it is good or not with it apart.

I ask all of this just to get what is likely to happen on a 94 LS 400 ..

I could have jumped in with just a new pump and been stranded in the middle of the procedure because the HP hose broke. Or I could have done all of this and the ACV be faulty and so on.

The car has a new rack n pinion, so thats part of the system -- but the HP hose is original -- I will 100% use my original HP hose if it doesn't just crack on me when replacing the pump.. which from conflicting reports, again, sounds like a strong possibility.

I really would like to do this myself,.. though I feel a bit blind going in on it, sort of like figuring out how things come apart myself -- which is ok,.. I can deal with taking too much apart.. but I do not want to put myself in an unexpected situation of broken parts that leave the car immobile.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. -- If it turns out I do this,.. which will be relatively soon I am definitely going to take a ton of pictures and make a long DIY -- As this is a huge piece of the puzzle on this common problem that just doesn't exist in any easy to find , complete, format that I can find (with pictures, and so forth).
Old 03-06-08, 07:09 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't keep the IAV. I just plugged it, and the steering has stiffened a bit but not much. I just bought the bolt and the two air hose plugs, works great.

As for the power steering pump removal, I'm pretty sure its the same as the SC300/400. Hopefully going to be doing it this weekend. IIRC, there are two bolts holding it in place, besides all the hoses that have to be removed.

Planet Soarer has a good write-up. http://planetsoarer.com/Power%20steering%20pump.htm

BTW, I wasn't planning on replacing the HP Hose and mines original. Don't anticipate too much problems because its still flexible to a bit. I'm only worried if a pinsized hole forms or something like that.
Old 03-06-08, 10:26 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

From the threads I've researched it doesn't seem to be a very easy job.. Basically like anything else the bolts are hard to get to.. I believe a third bolt on that bottom that is tough? Then I suppose you can't get it out without removing alot of stuff, and loosening the sway bar to get items out is a bit extreme.. but I guess you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

I personally hate jacking the car up, putting it on jack stands and crawling in and out (scooting) for tools.. -- I need to get another creeper.. but still the amount of space to work with is highly limited this way. I just thought the PS pump could be done from above, apparently not.

I wouldn't care so much if I had my own personal lift .. but how many have that luxury that don't own a shop. I've thought about buying a lift for years, .. but would the price pay for itself over time. Hrmm.. For now that is out of the question -- Maybe I should just invest in a more robust Jack (ie: higher weight capacity, height, and longer handle where you can jack standing up instead of having to kneel down. (I have the next step up from just your regular 'in car' jack.. the set with 2 jack stands and a 24" jack height.. (Might be a touch higher, but I don't think so).

What does everyone else think about the HP hose, and replacement (likely hood of breaking/cracking on this change?) --

Car is a 94 -- so its the last year of first gen, but 228k miles.
Old 03-06-08, 11:50 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you removing your pump in the first place? If leaking, then source of leak is quite possibly the Idle up valve. I just plugged mine long time ago and PS works beautifully now. No leaks anymore.
Old 03-07-08, 07:51 AM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt think it was a difficult job at all. It takes a little patience and having gear wrench style ratching wrenches helps along with a variety of socket extensions. You do NOT have to remove the alternator or sway bar for the PS pump by itself. I did follow the instructions in the link Avalon42 posted except the ABS lines are in a much more annoying place than on the SC but certainly not a show stopper. Figure 4 hours if you are completely taking your time. Now that I have done it once, I could do it in less than an hour. The time consuming parts was removing the plastics that cover that area (intake, spark plug cover, etc) and once you realize how those come off, its really quick.
Old 03-07-08, 09:53 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bali26
Why are you removing your pump in the first place? If leaking, then source of leak is quite possibly the Idle up valve. I just plugged mine long time ago and PS works beautifully now. No leaks anymore.
Long story, but the pump needs replacing I assure you. Glad yours works well now
Old 03-07-08, 09:56 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tommyboy72
I didnt think it was a difficult job at all. It takes a little patience and having gear wrench style ratching wrenches helps along with a variety of socket extensions. You do NOT have to remove the alternator or sway bar for the PS pump by itself. I did follow the instructions in the link Avalon42 posted except the ABS lines are in a much more annoying place than on the SC but certainly not a show stopper. Figure 4 hours if you are completely taking your time. Now that I have done it once, I could do it in less than an hour. The time consuming parts was removing the plastics that cover that area (intake, spark plug cover, etc) and once you realize how those come off, its really quick.

Thats what I like to hear tommyboy --

I have the regular old 1/2inch and 3/8'ths ratches but a reasonable amount of angles/extensions and such.

So no altenator or sway bar? lol.. This just looks like everyone does it their own way.. I'll have a new way to do it when I get in there --

Quickly glancing it over the other day that is what I was thinking.. removing the spark plug cover thingy -- was something I didn't know how to get off.. but I will figure out how it comes off. I always want to think things come off from a bolt or screw.. when somestuff is just 'clipped' in out of sight and you are supposed to pry here or there.

Tommy, what about the HP hose -- What is your thought on it breaking during removal/installation? (OEM/Factory)
Old 03-07-08, 03:50 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked the flexibility of my HP PS steering hose and its seems fine. I can't speak for the rest but I think it's still good as long as there is no leaks apparent. I cleaned it off best as I could and gonna watch it to see if that where I'm having problems as well.

The PS pump is a definite need to do. Thx Tommy for enlightening us on the technicality of this job...I was skeptical at first but kept eyeballing it then laughing and crying about what some of the mechanics in my area want to charge to get it done. I love DIYs...