LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: How does your brake pedal feel?
Nice and firm.
19.70%
Moderately soft, but still ok.
53.03%
Very soft and it almost goes to the floor.
27.27%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

UCF21: How does your brake pedal feel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 10:40 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey diy , why not take a look yourself and try and figure it out.
If you do not know what you are doing and why take it to someone who does.
I am giving you ideas not tutorials.
Old 03-12-08, 10:53 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair enough skp.. heh,.. Alot of people are just used to the 'digital age' where everyone has a digital camera and takes all of 60 seconds to take a snap shot, and attach it to a post. Though you have done plenty of explaining, I guess you don't have to hold all of our hands -- but we would appreciate anything you can offer additionally to your seemingly handy adjustment you are outlining here.

My pedal feels ok,.. but I know what everyone is talking about, it is inherent to the car imo. Though I think adjustment can be made to give a better 'driving experience' to people who dislike the way the booster is operating.

I also would extrapolate that DIY is asking so many questions and so much out of you because:

A) You seem to be the only one smart enough to know what to do *exactly*.

B) With the inherent dangers of damaging parts of the braking system, it is something that gives little room for error. Which rules out a 'try' in the figure it out equation. -- Basically you get it right, or you get it wrong and start damaging the brakes.

If the brakes are barely grabbing then it would probably be hard to determine if you went slightly too far with the adjustment,.. ya know?

Nonetheless this is great information, and is much appreciated.
Old 03-13-08, 01:42 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ exactly!

I was asking you [skperformance] because you said you did it and your pedal feels better now. Now you're telling me to just figure it out by myself. If you don't want to answer a few questions, why did you even bother to tell us that?

I guess the hardest part would be trying to stick my hands and head under there comfortably.
Old 03-13-08, 01:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

its pretty easy, just look under it, and theres a threaded rod that you can adjust. do it in little increments and you're safe
Old 03-13-08, 02:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

DIY -- I have to agree with PD here.. That is the way I would approach it. Get down there and just barely change it. Feel the pedal,.. and so forth. Keep moving it till the pedal feels good to you.

Then if you are worried about brake pressure -- Take off a wheel, and see if the brakes are being applied , wouldn't take long.
Old 03-13-08, 06:11 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

^ It's very hard to see if the pad is actually touching or not since they're already so close to the rotor.

I know it's easy, but my point is why bother telling us something if you won't answer any questions about it, especially on a forum.
Old 03-13-08, 07:03 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I know, that is why I would place something between the pad and rotor to see the pressure being applied,.. something should slide between them.. even if it has to be VERY thin.

You could also place a malleable piece of metal between the pad and rotor and adjust from there.. then test your 'guide' as you adjust to ensure the pad isn't pressuring the rotor.

As for why people aren't an open book all the time,.. is beyond the scope of this forum
Old 03-13-08, 11:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

on the 2LS there are some slats in the caliper that allow you to see pad life.
Old 03-13-08, 11:55 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DIY have you even bothered to look under the dash ?
I know you have not by any of these posts because you still have not understood the concept. As soon as you take the time to look it will make perfect sense as to what you are doing.

If i am too lazy to write it out for someone too lazy to help themselves then i am just an idiot but an idiot whose pedal feels better.

Now stop asking to be spoon fed and look for yourself.
Out of 13 posts you have not once done anything physical to fix the issue.

BTW it is freezing cold outside with snow on my driveway , i hardly think taking a pic is warranted as it is not rocket science to undo a nut , hell i even put it is 14mm for god sake.
Old 03-14-08, 05:13 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

My Generation 1 LS400 brakes feel soft as well, and i think that they where made this way to "add" to the soft luxurious feel that the car has. before changing the rod settings etc- change the brake fluid to a performance fluid- this should improve brake feel a great deal and get you a much firmer feel. Also, brake fluid is often neglected and this causes brakes to have a soft feel. over time brake fluid gets gaseous and is easier to compress "softening" your brakes.

all that youll ever need to know about brake fluid... go here http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml

and for brakes in general http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml
Old 03-14-08, 01:59 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

I wasn't asking for pics, only some answers.

I'll take a look this weekend.
Old 03-14-08, 02:30 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Good alternative tip on the brake fluid. Though the real solution to this is the adjustment in the booster. If your fluid is old your brakes will feel a bit 'spongy' like but it shouldn't effect the 'travel' of the pedal or engagment to such a degree as is prominent in the LS 400's.

I am going to go now and make an adjustment on my pedal myself... just to fiddle with it. I don't suspect it taking more than 10-15minutes and that is taking my time.

Do like me, just barely adjust it, and take it for a quick ride.. then adjust more as necessary. You can always back it out.

I haven't looked at it, but I image you can always mark your original mark if you get lost in how much you have adjusted.

Shouldn't have to wait till the weekend for the adjustment, as it is easier than changing light bulbs in these cars (much easier ) lol.. But it is Friday, so good little project to take your time on.

Let us know how you come out with it DIY.
Old 03-14-08, 03:04 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neofate
Good alternative tip on the brake fluid. Though the real solution to this is the adjustment in the booster. If your fluid is old your brakes will feel a bit 'spongy' like but it shouldn't effect the 'travel' of the pedal or engagment to such a degree as is prominent in the LS 400's.

I am going to go now and make an adjustment on my pedal myself... just to fiddle with it. I don't suspect it taking more than 10-15minutes and that is taking my time.

Do like me, just barely adjust it, and take it for a quick ride.. then adjust more as necessary. You can always back it out.

I haven't looked at it, but I image you can always mark your original mark if you get lost in how much you have adjusted.

Shouldn't have to wait till the weekend for the adjustment, as it is easier than changing light bulbs in these cars (much easier ) lol.. But it is Friday, so good little project to take your time on.

Let us know how you come out with it DIY.
Same. do you guys think that the feel varies from car to car? (same year and model etc)
Old 03-14-08, 03:26 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Here DIY --

It takes a few seconds to do..

This is what you will see under your dash, follow brake pedal back.

See the nut? -- Its that easy.

The direction you turn the rod is obvious. You want the pedal to travel 'LESS' to engage the booster, so you want to adjust the rod accordingly. Turn it once to start if you feel uncomfortable (one rotation).. and then test it. Adjust as necessary.

Also,.. your car comes with the tool needed for this.

Open your trunk, and on the left side are the complementary wrenches. There is a 12mm/14mm wrench in there. Grab it

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-08, 03:31 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rocan
Same. do you guys think that the feel varies from car to car? (same year and model etc)
Slightly --- Depends on age, wear, tear, and so on. The main feel is going to feel very much the same on the same year and model. Some will need adjusting some won't. Some wouldn't like the way I just adjusted mine, and some will. It is all about how you prefer your brake pedal to 'feel' and when it should engage.

It is very much like adjusting a clutch engagment. I've done this many times on previous cars. Some like them to grab early, some midway, and some late. Very similar adjustment, just the clutch is more difficult to get to of course.

Oh and be careful with that locknut -- It can be on there tight, so brace the other parts (where the pin goes in, etc) while turning if it does *not* break lose on your first try. Also don't over do the torque you apply. You can and will break/bend some of that linkage if you are a relatively strong man and are either turning it the wrong way or it is seized/locked on very very well.

Take the appropriate measures as with any tough nut.

Quick Reply: UCF21: How does your brake pedal feel?