LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picked up my 1994 LS 400 today! 228k PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 09:53 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1994 LS 400 228,000 Miles - Pictures

Hey guys,..

I am new the forums, but some of you know my posts, you know the real long ones?

Well, I have talked about the 228,000 mile car I bought for $4,500 that I wasn't even going to consider until I saw it, and drove it. Well I picked it up today. You guys wanted pictures so I went ahead and took some.

Keep in mind, its at night, is was cold, and the car hasn't been washed/vacuumed, etc by me inside or out.

Driver side angle:

Passenger side angle:

Front of the LS400:

Moving inside: -- The engine bay *Has not been cleaned up, I intend on doing this very soon*

Now to the interior -- I think it looks pretty good for a 94.. Obviously not perfect but well kept.

Interior from Passenger side:

The Trunk (you will notice the 6disc changer I have been speaking of.. They think it works, however he could not find the magazine. So I doubt it will be used, what a pity)

Lastly the instrument cluster -- This picture is with flash on:

Thats it, it was cold, if you read the cluster temperature it was 38 I think. (Which is cold to me with the wind blowing).

Overall I think its a decent car,.. you guys agree? I don't think I got ripped off on the deal, for $4500.

Also you will notice that all the gauges on the cluster work, and it has not been fixed. Bonus.

The Climate control did get shipped off to Jim Walker, so this is first hand promotion/shot of what it looks like fixed. (Climate control has been in the car 2days or so).

My initial plans are:

Tint all windows, darkest legal limit. (Will just make it look a bit sharper give the color)

Put in new sound system, although the factory sounds really good. If I could run a new Headunit and use existing amplifiers and speakers to start. I might consider that. (Anyone know if I can do that?) -- Yes I know, Search!! I will after this post.

Sorry so long, but I'm proud to finally have it, its my new baby and she has an appointment with me to be washed and waxed this weekend.

Take care,

Last edited by Neofate; 02-15-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 10:11 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have a magazine that I don't use.. i'll check, and if you want it for the price of shipping, it's yours. But I gotta make sure I still have it first...

and obviously if you're gonna change to an aftermarket headunit, you probably dont need it... just thought I'd throw the offer your way...
Old 02-14-08, 10:12 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice. One thing...what's going on with your temp display? Is that accurate? It is slightly higher than mid level and you said it was cold out...is this car due for a water pump change or some other maintenance?
Old 02-14-08, 10:44 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iansaltes
I think I have a magazine that I don't use.. i'll check, and if you want it for the price of shipping, it's yours. But I gotta make sure I still have it first...

and obviously if you're gonna change to an aftermarket headunit, you probably dont need it... just thought I'd throw the offer your way...

Sure I'll take the magazine for price of shipping. This unit has a control in the console. He says it is factory. So hopefully it fits. I will take a closer picture of the Changer and inside console so maybe you can tell if your magazine would work.

Might as well have it working if it does. -- Just let me know, and thanks alot!
Old 02-14-08, 10:53 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by avalon42
Nice. One thing...what's going on with your temp display? Is that accurate? It is slightly higher than mid level and you said it was cold out...is this car due for a water pump change or some other maintenance?

*I keep coming back to this post after reading your comment over and over. -- I think you were asking more about why it was so high with the car running, being cold outside.*

But again, yes it is accurate.

I had just driven about 25 miles in the car. So the engine was warm.

By my cold , in Alabama it is about 40 Degree's outside. I believe in the picture the outside temp display was 39 degrees. (That isn't so cold to some..)

Anyhow.. Also the engine had been sitting there idling for at least 20 minutes in park before the cluster picture was taken.

Engines tend to heat up (coolant gets hotter) when they are sitting still, rather than when they are going down the road at X speed in the cold air. IE: If I drove down the highway for a minute it would drop some.

However, that reading is the max the engine will go.. and it is actually a little below halfway, not above to get technical.

If anyone else see's that as a problem let me know. But the water pump is new, and coolant is about 30k old. (I intend on flushing the coolant soon) -- Basically flushing all fluids minus oil because it was just done 1 day ago.)

However,..

Thanks for the compliment Avalon. -- The following are new (or under 25K miles since change) (Just to give you an idea of the condition of the mechanics of the car)

Oil/Filter
PS Fluid
Rack and Pinion
Starter
All Tensioners
Valve Cover Gasket
Spark Plugs/Wires
Fuel Filter
Drive Belt
Alternator
Water Pump
Timing Belt
All Seals/gaskets/rings in engine replaced.
Climate control
Brake Pads
Motor Mounts/Transmission Mount
Brake Sensors
Door Switches

Alot has been done recently -- Which is largely why I decided to go ahead with a 228k milage vehicle. The engine sounds/looks and acts like it has 30k on it. -- It gets between 350-450 a tank depending on how you drive.. So good gas milage is another indicator of a healthy engine (not everything, but some).

On the body, the only defects are:

Slight crack in Right Taillight
Slight Crack in light on the inside/next to driverside headlight.
Small hole in leather on shift **** (can be seen in picture(s))
Some paint I need to buff off that splattered down low by fender well area /bottom of car.

That about sums the thing up.

I've posted pictures of my last car when I sold it and when you get alot of eyes looking at them people usually find stuff good and bad that I don't notice. Like, I got a PM asking if I'd sell the car lol.. and said they were surprised at the condition of the interior etc.. (Of course I won't) -- The mechanic said it is rare that the leather close to the rear center brake light (third) isn't cracked or damaged from the sun on this car. I'm not sure if that is a common problem with 14yr old LS 400's or not. (It was garage kept, so that kept alot of the sun exposure away - Which is why I assume the leather and paint look so good for their age).

Thanks,

Last edited by Neofate; 02-14-08 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 01:29 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Question I forgot to ask,.. and decided I wouldn't start another thread:

The title here says: Odometer: 0079725

It is a 1994 LS 400 of course.

Now it has on the back: 228,258

The mechanic (the seller of the car) told me before I left that the new title would have 'exempt' on the mileage. I asked why. He said because once a car is 10 years old they automatically put exempt on mileage.

I take him at his word, but that seems odd to me,.. I never heard or knew of that. Alot of cars are just fine after 10yrs, and It is almost like they are taking mileage completely out of the equation by saying exempt. Basically at 10 years + you could roll back your odometer (if you were a scumbag) and sell the car to a sucker, and just explain the car is over 10yrs, that is why they exempt the mileage, but it really has but 92,000 miles on it.

This true?
Old 02-15-08, 01:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

bull****.

exempt could be due either a cluster going BAD or someone tampering with it.
Old 02-15-08, 01:40 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
bull****.

exempt could be due either a cluster going BAD or someone tampering with it.

Yes, I know. That is what I thought was the only way a title would be listed as 'Exempt' is if there was some REAL problem with the odometer. That is *NOT* the case with this vehicle.

The odometer works completely fine, and is the accurate mileage.

*Again the title I have in my hand right now lists the Mileage as ACCURATE and says Odometer: 0079725.*

The only changes from that title to the one I will get mailed back to me will be the Name of owner, the address of owner, the mileage will be 228258 and the Lein part will be gone because it is obviously paid for.

He just said that,.. So if you are right, then I will get my title in my name simply with the new 228,xxx mileage listed on it. Right?

He says he has done this (buying/selling used cars) a ton of times.. yet said that about the new title. I think he is half BS, and half not. I think he does good mechanical work, but has a bit of an ego. But I don't have to worry with him any longer.

I just didn't want my title to say 'exempt' on it when the odometer works fine.

We didn't check anything on the back of the title like "innacurate odometer" or other options. We simply put in the correct mileage listed, so it should come back with that as the 'odometer reading'.

This '10 year rule' seems bogus to me. That is why I asked =)

Thanks man
Old 02-15-08, 05:05 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice clean car. wish mine was that nice on the outside. (i need paint).
Old 02-15-08, 09:05 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
nice clean car. wish mine was that nice on the outside. (i need paint).
Thanks man! I'm so proud of it,.. I've already pulled the EFI fuse to reset the computer.

I already made a dumb mistake too.. lol.

I turned on the ignition with the EFI fuse out.

Guess what that does?

Turns on the Airbag light. Sigh..

So I look up the method to reset it.... Great, found it -- Basically Connect into Tc and AB , then alternate grounds twice, and it might take a few times.

I checked my code first just to see if anything would pop -- and just 22,.. so it was fine.

So I go about Doing the pins and wire into the Tc and AB respectively. I did this for an hour,.. all I could get was the Code Diagnostic display. I was like huh? What is up here..

I even pulled the Diagnostic port out for easier access. After a while I said to heck with it, I am going to do this my own way.

So I went in the tool box and got 10 feet of 8 gauge Ground wire (stuff you ground Coax cable installs, or telephone NIC's with).

I attached it securely to my negative battery terminal, looped it around the coolant cap so there would be no stress on it -- And then used it as the ground.

First try no go..

So I thought, ok I'm just going to go back and forth between Tc and AB half a dozen times or more, instead of the (wait 6 seconds, then perfectly time Tc 1 second, then AB 1 second, then repeat and hold Tc ground.) --

When I went back and forth between Tc and AB about 6-8 times , about .5 seconds a piece, it worked right away.

So I need to update that thread for resetting the Airbag light. I think that might save some people alot of time.

Suffice it to say the lights off, and the computer is reset. So it will learn 'my' driving style now

*Btw, getting that Diagnostic port back into its proper hole in the kick panel underneath the steering wheel was alot harder than taking it out.. lol.

I found out my rear passenger tire was low: 19PSI (gonna monitor it for a nail or screw or something) -- Anyhow,.. I checked all tires and put them at 35-36PSI. Now with proper air pressure the car is out of alignment slightly.. a *slight* pull to the right. (It was straight with the lower air pressure hehe).

So if you know, about what does an alignment run? Can any shop do it? Lastly is it something I can wait on , or do I have to leave the car all day?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-08, 09:20 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

test signature -- Man I really need to get a meaner looking pose and tint those windows. (Tint/wax job, daytime, and the right angle shot would make things better.. )

But its better than nothing for now.

*Oh and maybe turn the radio off so the goofy antennae can go down.. lol
Old 02-15-08, 10:13 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "exempt" business on the title is for any vehicle over 100k miles.

At least thats how they do it up here in WA
Old 02-15-08, 10:38 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to say it but I have to say it. It is a rip-off price for the car.
Old 02-15-08, 11:03 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dashan
Everyone has their opinion. What brings you to this conclusion? The mileage?

Because the worst thing on the car is maybe a spot on the shift **** and fleck of paint off the body. Mechanically the car couldn't be more sound, so mileage isn't really a factor, aside from the suspension. And even that is holding up very well.

I am thoroughly enjoying it, and I know it will run for many years to come.

I just upgraded from a 1990 240sx with 130k on the clock, that didn't have a radio, speedometer didn't work, and it was just a clunker basically. I hated driving it. So going from that to an LS 400 is night and day for me.

I justify $4500 bucks for a reliable, comfortable ride. Also you just don't find a car with this kind of miles, and this year model, in this condition that often.

I've seen the same car at dealerships for twice the price.

But your among the minority who think I totally got ripped off.. another 2 people have mentioned that so far. I respect your thoughts,.. just curious what aspect really makes you think $4495 is a rip off for a reliable luxery car?
Old 02-15-08, 11:12 AM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dashan
I completely disagree with you. If you consider the condition which is excellent, and all the maint items that have already been done. (over $2K worth) it is a great car. You could hardly buy a Camary for that. The mileage does not matter at all, if the engine is running well at time of purchase... These cars go for 400-500K miles if they are welll cared for, and this one has been.

I paid $4700 for mine with 168K on it. But it is not nearly as nice inside or out as his, The mechanicals can be fixed easily enough, but bad body, and interiors are a pain in the ***. He has the best of both. My car has great mechanicals also, but was lacking the pristine interior... I frankly did not care.

Just my .02... Congats on the new car.. you will LOVE IT...

Be prepared for people to look at you like you are some rich ******* though.. I have gotten more than my fair share of people driving newer Chevy Cavaliers.. staring me down... little do they realize I paid about 1/2 what they did for their piece of crap... and no Payments... (I am a Dave Ramsey listener)

Drive your car and love it...take care of it and it will give you many years of reliable service.

Ken

Quick Reply: Picked up my 1994 LS 400 today! 228k PICS