LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should you run premium fuel? Yes and no, explained.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 06:14 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mebush
Just some food for thought.......I have a '91 LS with 253,000 miles on it. I have been running 87 or 89 in it the whole time I have owned it which is about 30,000 miles. The previous owner, a friend of mine, bought the car with 150,000 miles on it and ran 87 or 89 in it all the time. I still get 24 mpg on the highway and have never had any preignition problems even driving over mountain passes at 12,000 feet. Point is, when the car was brand spanking show room new and your foot was in the radiator octane probably was something to consider. A car with 100,000 or more miles on it even in pristine condition likely doesn't have the same compression it did new. If your just driving the car (not like your in the Daytona 500) the lower octane is probably just fine.
you'll never really notice any preignition problems, the knock sensor and ecu are much faster to respond than your ears. the only other thing to consider is that as cars age that havne't been driven hard, carbon will build up on the piston tops and actaully raise compression. plenty of old cars actually have pre ignition problems that never even had high compression because of hte additional compression due to the carbon build up.

Originally Posted by gdave
WOW i knew most of this to be true but WOW i use 87 octane being on the NE coast im 18, insurance threw the roof, and gas being $3.00 just for regular its a struggle when you have lots of bills, but i might switch with this new knowledge
i think we're allaffected by this BS fuel prices, but i figure it's only 0.20 difference between 87 and 93 so over a 20 gallon fill up that's only $4. i've been driving cars that all needed 93 for the past 10 years anyway, so i'm accustomed to it by now.
Old 03-07-08, 07:14 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I definatly agree with Celsior400!
Old 03-09-08, 03:37 PM
mebush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would argue that a vehicle with such sophisticated electronics as to detect and prevent preignition and electronic fuel injection should not have a carbon build up problem unless it has an oil consumption problem. My LS uses about a pint in 4000 miles--not bad at all.

As I said previously a new or low mileage vehicle probably warrants the premium fuel. In my case it simply isn't necessary. I just find it humorous that many of the same people that will cry from the mountaintops to use premium because the sticker on the fuel door says so would refuse to run their engine oil 7500 miles even though many new car owner's manuals say just that.
Old 03-11-08, 05:51 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

one would think that is true, but carbon builds up no matter what unless the car is revved out regularly. but that's also a car to car variable, with many factors affecting how much. take your intake manifold off, you'll find tons of carbon and other gunk in the plenum; it has nothing to do with the fuel but just age and mileage.
again, your fuel choice is up to you and how you drive, so i'm sure you're doing the right thing for your car.
Old 03-11-08, 01:07 PM
wilkie1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my 05/LS430 the first 3K miles that I owned it on 87 octane & the next 3K on 91 octane & couldn't tell any difference in preformance or MPG. I never have heard any pinging. I bought it with 30K miles on it. I have driven it the last 4K on 87. That runs around 30 cents a gallon difference. I picked up the following web site from some one on this site.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...s_premium.html

I don't think hardly anyone changes their minds over these discussions, but there are interesting points made on both sides from some very smart people on this site. I have gotten a lot of great info here!
Old 03-12-08, 05:20 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

wow, that article didnt' explain it fully at all; they left many important facts unsaid; my explanation is much better.
Old 03-12-08, 09:08 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
wow, that article didnt' explain it fully at all; they left many important facts unsaid; my explanation is much better.
Rofl psi. That struck me as funny.

Old 03-12-08, 10:27 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

what is truly funny is that, i, an underpaid mechanic, can explain and write about things like that better than the over educated, over paid person who wrote that article!
Old 03-12-08, 09:19 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Well that is fantastic. Well educated and well spoken. Just save your pennies and open your own shop in the next 5-15yrs and charge your own rates. Get your ASE and so forth if you haven't already. You know the drill. I have no idea how old you are.. You could be 40 with an ASE cert.. and tell me to **** -- But I am assuming you do plan to do something along these lines.

Being a mechanic is great no? A labor of love I hope.. (of course not all the time.. but taking things apart and then fixing them is joy) -- Good mechanics are often underpaid,.. I think more distinguishing needs to be done through schooling/certification so mechanics can be determined 'good' or not much more easily through consumers eyes.

IE: equivalent to Masters/PHD/MD.. Or even MSCE/MCSD/Cisco Cert for IT prof's.. and so on.

Though I guess I shouldn't be flipping the subject matter so much.. I can see how this can easily turn into a 'what is a proper mechanic?' topic now

Though, how do you know the person who wrote the article was paid well?
Old 03-12-08, 09:23 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Manual said to use 91 and better so that is what I use.
Old 03-12-08, 10:34 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sleeper2jz
Manual said to use 91 and better so that is what I use.

Yup, 91 is considered 'premium' by most manufacturers, esp. in First gen with the year it was developed.

I've considered this many times,.. should I go 'mid grade' with 91 and save a few bucks or just go ahead with 93. I always end up with 93,.. but how much difference does it really make? Beuller?
Old 03-13-08, 05:27 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

91 is actually fine if that's what you have as a midgrade. here in KY, we have 87, 89 (absolutely pointless) and 93. the resistance to knock of 91 is good enough for our engines and even some turbocharged very well tuned performance engines.
Old 03-13-08, 05:30 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neofate
Well that is fantastic. Well educated and well spoken. Just save your pennies and open your own shop in the next 5-15yrs and charge your own rates. Get your ASE and so forth if you haven't already. You know the drill. I have no idea how old you are.. You could be 40 with an ASE cert.. and tell me to **** -- But I am assuming you do plan to do something along these lines.

Being a mechanic is great no? A labor of love I hope.. (of course not all the time.. but taking things apart and then fixing them is joy) -- Good mechanics are often underpaid,.. I think more distinguishing needs to be done through schooling/certification so mechanics can be determined 'good' or not much more easily through consumers eyes.

IE: equivalent to Masters/PHD/MD.. Or even MSCE/MCSD/Cisco Cert for IT prof's.. and so on.

Though I guess I shouldn't be flipping the subject matter so much.. I can see how this can easily turn into a 'what is a proper mechanic?' topic now

Though, how do you know the person who wrote the article was paid well?
i completely agree, and yes, all that is underway and mostly accomplished.
although, you're right, i have no idea how much they were paid, i just assumed....
anyway, back on topic, don't want to litter my own thread with off topic stuff...
Old 03-13-08, 10:08 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

You know what they say about assumption right?

Man, I wish I could find a Lexus enthusiast,.. even more so an LS owner/enthusiast that had access to a lift local to me. Become reasonable friends and be able to utilize the lift and help each other out when need be.

I think I'm going to go to the regional forums and see if I can dig any poor sucker out
Old 03-13-08, 11:03 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

oh i know! you'd be welcome to use mine, but you're a bit far!

Quick Reply: Should you run premium fuel? Yes and no, explained.