LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

input on possible new car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 09:09 AM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input on possible new car.

looking at trading this for my car.

1993 Lexus LS400
White/Gray two-tone

*Stock Lexus MAS (Modulated Air Suspension) Still works and you can buy aftermarket controllers to lower it yourself
*Replaced water pump, tensioner bearing, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearing, timing belt - Less than 1k on those items will last 90k plus
*Rebuilt PSP - imfamous for leaking onto alternator, problem fixed
*New alternator, ND rebuilt a lot better than Advanced or AutoZone rebuilts 100amp
*New plugs and wires, I'm working on replacing the cap and rotors.
*Got new front pads, have not put those on yet.
*Fixed gauge cluster - should work for a while. 180 - 1.5k to get fixed
*Decent tires, I have no idea how long they've been driven on
*All bad bolts on the engine have been replace.

Not Fixed -
*Climate control LCD display is blacked out but the controls still work ~ 160 to fix via lextreme.com
*Also, the fogs and running lights do not work for some reason but I'm pretty sure a pigtail harness would fix this problem.
*Small crack in headlight, nothing major and it does not leak or have moisture inside.
*The driver side speakers do not work as well, not sure what the problem is but I'm sure whoever buys this wants to upgrade anyways

Has all standard and pretty much all options you can get on the '93
Fully adjustable front seats with heat, power headrests and power adjustable seat belt height. There are no major tears in the leather and all of the stock lighting has been changed to white LED

*Traction control
*Premium alloy wheels - not chrome would be nice though
*Lexus CD changer
*Nakamichi Premium Audio

I can't think of any options it doesn't have.

The body itself is in alright condition. That's really the only downfall.
It's got a little bit of rust on the windshield line and a decent sized dent on the back of the roof. Nothing major in my opinion. Some paint missing here and there.

This car would make the perfect first time VIP project car. I would have loved to do it myself but VIP parts are so expensive and especially if you want to do it right. LP yang (spelling?) knows because I believe he's on another forum I'm on - VIPStylecars.com -

I've read a lot of reviews about my particular year and I can't find any bad. I'm not saying it is, but I've heard that any UFC10/11 LS400 w/ factory air and the NAK system is pretty rare.

would be his car and some cash to have the body re-done and sprayed all black. anyone see any problems with the car? how much would it cost to have all that stuff fixed?

Last edited by chunky; 01-15-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 09:38 AM
slimlma04
Rookie

so ur buying the car in the quote...and what are u trading and how much are u given cash...sorry just a bit mixed up..
Old 01-15-08, 11:04 PM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

i would be trading a '94 turbo Civic Si. the kid has the lexus and wants a civic. i might try and get him to throw in a little cash too so i can have the rust and dent fixed. what re the normal problems these cars have? what should i look out for?
Old 01-16-08, 07:29 AM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

bump, any help guys?
Old 01-16-08, 05:28 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it. Make sure nothing else is wrong with it though...
Old 01-16-08, 07:44 PM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

what are common things to go wrong with these cars? from looking at the info he gave me does this one seem like it would be a solid car
Old 01-16-08, 09:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

the reason most of us (me included) most likely havent responded is because you have few posts, and are asking a question that has been covered to and past death on this forum.

please search.
Old 01-16-08, 09:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you be able to tell us what the approximate value the seller is asking for his 93 LS in question, and what year and mileagee your Turbo Civic has and what types of mods. Depending on the answers your Civic could very well be more valueable than this LS.

The rust on the windshield line concerns me a lot. Rust doesn't just appear on the outside, that car very well may have rust under the windshield itself and if so you are looking at a major headache. Problem is it will be hard to tell unless you remove the windshield.

A second concern is the color change you are thinking about doing. You can do a ghetto color change by just straying the visible parts for maybe $2000-$4000, or you can do it the right way, completely strip the car, remove the engine, spray the engine bay and door jams and every part that is not covered by an interior panel for $5000+.

You haven't mentioned how many miles are on that LS, but from the description I would say it has well into the 00K range. Possibly over 200K. Unless you are getting this LS for under $3000 I personally wouldn't even be interested in it based on its decription alone.
Old 01-16-08, 10:11 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for it, if all the things listed HAVE in fact been repaired. See if he can show you reciepts for the work done.

Only major things are the air ride can be $$ to fix. But could just be converted to standard springs if it came to the worst. Timing belt is $$ to have done at Lexus, but as a 93' it is a NON interference engine... so the worst is your on a tow truck, and you said it was done recently anyway. The climate control LCD is no big deal. Not sure about your dash, but mine is blacked out when cold, can be fixed for about $300 or less... check on the forum for info on that.

One thing to think about is the difference in fuel mileage, and performance differences. you will be getting 16-20 city, 20-25 hwy, and getting a 0-60MPH in 8 sec probably slower than your Civic, hwy passing is very good however. I saw you had a turbo'd civic, so the fuel mileage may not be much different, but you should keep it in mind.
The Lexus will not take the tight twisties as well as your Civic in stock form, but slow sweepers.. are real nice. The LS does have a very good suspension.. double wishbone front and rear, so it will pull some G's if you have good rubber on it, and the ride is AMAZING.. especially with the air ride.

Things I always check on a used car.. pull the oil FILL cap, and start it, if you get a lot of blowby the engine may be a bit worn. On my car I get NON. Also of course check the oil, and trans fluid.. I have a 94LS with 183K on it.. and the trans fluid is still pink... if your prospective LS has nasty lookin trans fluid.. you might want to start saving for the possible trans work...may never need it.. but should think about it.

Overall the LS is a great car.. and usually very reliable. It is supremely comfortable, and always enjoyable to drive... If you want more power.. there are some options out there, all of which are $$$... but can be done... personally I would leave it alone.. and enjoy it.

Ken
Old 01-16-08, 11:11 PM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

the reason i'm trying to get out of my hatch is because of it's performance, too many tickets, need something slower.

for info on my car being traded to get an idea of what he's getting check here: http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90852

he is asking 4k OBO

as for paint i went to Wyotech for body work, worked in a shop for a while, and have a friend who's a manager at my old shop of i will get the paint free and the labor very cheap. i also know what what you mean about the rust, i'm still waiting on pics to see how bad it is.

big thanks to those who have helped out, it's much appreciated.
Old 01-16-08, 11:21 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chunky
the reason i'm trying to get out of my hatch is because of it's performance, too many tickets, need something slower.

for info on my car being traded to get an idea of what he's getting check here: http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90852

he is asking 4k OBO

as for paint i went to Wyotech for body work, worked in a shop for a while, and have a friend who's a manager at my old shop of i will get the paint free and the labor very cheap. i also know what what you mean about the rust, i'm still waiting on pics to see how bad it is.

big thanks to those who have helped out, it's much appreciated.
Wyotech huh? Could be a cool project for you then. You wouldn't happen to have been one of the students there at the time when they helped Chip Foose out in Overhaulin no? Anyway, no need to educate you on body work and paint since you are probably more qualified than most of us If you think the body work is worth the price than go for it. Since he is asking $4K OBO, I'd shoot for $3K and no more than $3500.
Old 01-17-08, 12:21 AM
chunky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Wyotech huh? Could be a cool project for you then. You wouldn't happen to have been one of the students there at the time when they helped Chip Foose out in Overhaulin no? Anyway, no need to educate you on body work and paint since you are probably more qualified than most of us If you think the body work is worth the price than go for it. Since he is asking $4K OBO, I'd shoot for $3K and no more than $3500.
no i was at the PA campus, he does work with the CA campus i believe. as for a project i'd like to keep it pretty tame for a while, i went kinda crazy with the honda and i want to kinda calm down with the cars for a while and focus on other things in life. if i get a lexus it will probably just get painted black and slammed real low on some black 18s and tinted. time to quit dumping money into cars for a while and work on a house and the family. if the trade goes through it will be either a straight trade or + cash on his part.
Old 01-17-08, 06:55 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the reason most of us (me included) most likely havent responded is because you have few posts, and are asking a question that has been covered to and past death on this forum.

please search.

ya know, almost everything has been covered to death here except the occasional "i love your car dude" stuff.....

if everyone had to search for everything, there would be no conversations here except "i love your car dude"..

just sayin.....
Old 01-17-08, 10:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
ya know, almost everything has been covered to death here except the occasional "i love your car dude" stuff.....

if everyone had to search for everything, there would be no conversations here except "i love your car dude"..

just sayin.....
not really, the most common problems and issues have been covered here in depth (stuff like the ca bushings, dash lights, random lighting issues due to the trunk hinge, what to look for when buying a used LS, etc...)

most of the time we get threads now that are new and/or unique issues, not just requests for the same info over and over.

case in point, in the last 6months or so there has been a resurgence in the number of vibration threads, with a new possible culprit being discovered (driveshaft bushing) and even several members with different dash light problems.

if you wanna discuss this any more i suggest you PM me so this thread doesnt get closed.
Old 01-17-08, 03:02 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
not really, the most common problems and issues have been covered here in depth (stuff like the ca bushings, dash lights, random lighting issues due to the trunk hinge, what to look for when buying a used LS, etc...)

most of the time we get threads now that are new and/or unique issues, not just requests for the same info over and over.

case in point, in the last 6months or so there has been a resurgence in the number of vibration threads, with a new possible culprit being discovered (driveshaft bushing) and even several members with different dash light problems.

if you wanna discuss this any more i suggest you PM me so this thread doesnt get closed.
Ya know... if post about previous topics bother you that much.. you could just NOT REPLY.. and let people who actually enjoy dicussing these things with noobs do the typing.

Just a thought.

Ken

Quick Reply: input on possible new car.