LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 06:50 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, I have the same problem with my starter 95 ls 400 ,syt I am thinking very hard if I will take the job, I dont have a garage only a drive way, I am waiting the weather forcast for a sunny days ..
I am proud of your job . I have one more question. since you took off the heater hose, and you must bleed yoru cooling system? did you do it ? otherwise, you may accumulate air buble in your heater core and you will hear " runny water "sound under the dashboard.
please let me knoiw
Old 10-27-10, 07:04 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by artesia
wow, I have the same problem with my starter 95 ls 400 ,syt I am thinking very hard if I will take the job, I dont have a garage only a drive way, I am waiting the weather forcast for a sunny days ..
I am proud of your job . I have one more question. since you took off the heater hose, and you must bleed yoru cooling system? did you do it ? otherwise, you may accumulate air buble in your heater core and you will hear " runny water "sound under the dashboard.
please let me knoiw
Never thought about bleeding the system, all I did was drain the radiator. IMO the air will get pushed out to the fill tank on the side when refilling. Good luck on your DIY!
Old 10-27-10, 08:44 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbosix
it is not a difficult process to do.

to remove the wiring harness there are a few nuts holding the plastic block to the back of the engine, if you reach your hand down there you will find them, with that loosened you can pull the wiring harness out of the way. it is not as difficult as everyone says. one thign you can do to help speed up the process is cut a slit in the tips of the bolts that you can use a small screwdriver on to thread them back in with.

a gearwrench set helps immensely as well
please tell me what are the part I need to buy, since I dont have a 2nd car to drive around I rather buy every thing at once, I live in the moutains , winter is comming and I dont want to be stuch here. I am just waiting the weather forcast for 3 sunny days and I will start the job, any recomendation ? please tell me exactely the name of the tools I need and the parts ( acording to some sites there is some parts thats dont need to be put back) such as some washer?? gaskets? seals.. etc.. please help thanks
Old 10-27-10, 08:54 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

could you tell me how to cut a slit in the tips of the bolts ? what tool did u used? I dont want to damage the housing , it's made from aluminium I am very curious how and what tools you used to cut the bolts?
thanks

Originally Posted by turbosix
it is not a difficult process to do.

to remove the wiring harness there are a few nuts holding the plastic block to the back of the engine, if you reach your hand down there you will find them, with that loosened you can pull the wiring harness out of the way. it is not as difficult as everyone says. one thign you can do to help speed up the process is that you can use a small screwdriver on to thread them back in with.

a gearwrench set helps immensely as well
Old 10-28-10, 08:52 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Default I just started tto work on my 95 ls 400 changing a starter

its 5 pm I just started working on my ls 400, the mechanic wants $950 to replace it , there is no way I can afford that! at this moment. I have a few questions, could any one tell me what tools and size? to use to take off the 2 bolds behind the air intake? ERG pipe? do I have to remove juts the 2 upper bolt or do I have to take off the 4 bolts ? here is the pictures. I tried all my tools I could find the right tool and I dont want strip them either. any suggestion on what tool to use? thanks
here is some pictures..
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-1.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-2.jpg  

Last edited by artesia; 10-28-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 01:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

....an appropriately sized socket+extensions+joint...

if you don't have the mechanical aptitude this isn't really the job for you....
Old 10-29-10, 06:41 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

based on what I just read, you are in over your head, and dont have the skill or tools to do this..... find some real help... is Ca, california? Where do you live, maybe some one has a friend/mechanic in your area... you dont need us, you need "hands-on"
good luck.
Old 10-29-10, 06:58 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
based on what I just read, you are in over your head, and dont have the skill or tools to do this..... find some real help... is Ca, california? Where do you live, maybe some one has a friend/mechanic in your area... you dont need us, you need "hands-on"
good luck.
I was thinking the saaaame thing. My advice is either pay the guy $950 or buy yourself the service manual which will show you exactly what needs to be done step by step in order. You will have to buy some new tools and some of the special tools you can probably rent from, like, Autozone. This way you can save money and learn at the same time.
Old 10-29-10, 07:14 AM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
good luck.
I live in Paradise California, trust me I already fixed many cars,, I just dont have good tools I am not working at the moment, I just bought this car from an old man in August he never told me about the stater, he sold it to me with a good price because he know its cost a lot to fix it. I want use this blog to save time and money some of u did great job I want use your experience and learn from others mistakes to save time and money and learn how to do it right. Thank u all.
if you know any one in the area of chico or paradise, Magalia let me know thanks all

Last edited by artesia; 10-29-10 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 01:29 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, please dont give up on me ! its 1pm , I get to the starter, , I have the following question:
is it possible to take off the starter without taking off the cooling bridge?
from which side you took off the starter bolts? I mean did you came under the car? because I went under the car I can't see any thing?
please tell me from where did u get to the starter bolts, here is some pictures/

Last edited by artesia; 10-29-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 01:36 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Default pictures of the starter bolted,

here are the picture, I need some advices on how to take off the starter bolts? do I have to go under the car? or there a way to do it under the hood?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-005.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-009.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-011.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-014.jpg  
Old 10-29-10, 02:30 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

on both of mine, I just replaced the solenoid/plunger & contacts... mine starts great.
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-100_1795.jpg  
Old 10-29-10, 10:22 PM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I think I am stuck with the lower TWC exhaust from passeger side, the bolts are rusted and need special tool to cut them and replaced the bolt, this is another job ! its a muffler shop job ! the catalyc converter is attached to the back with 2 bolts and the front exhaust with 3 bolts !. once the TCW is out,you can see the EGR pipe from underneath the car, I think once you disconect the 2 blots that hold the EGR ( lowero one ) to the exhaust you can pull it out from the top with the cooling bridge ) water by pass joint) without taking off the two 12 mm bolts that attach the egr to the bridge !
any suggestion? How to take off the bolt do I have to torch them? and cut them? where can I find the right bolts to put them back, this is Hell I am depressed please help if you have
any idea !
I was thinking to change just the contacts and plunger without taking off the starter but I dont know how to take off and attach back the stater wire from the left passeger side of teh starter , its big white tick cable, ! is it possible to do it that way ?
thanks all please reply to my post !
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-016.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-019.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-020.jpg   95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-022.jpg  

Last edited by artesia; 10-29-10 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 07:05 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

First, look at my photos, SEE the bolt threads???? that is how you remove them... no body said it was EASY, it is hard, but others have done it, you can too... it is called work. I did not have to remove the EGR tube on my starter repair, but I have done one, use this: EGR TUBE

Like after I got my EGR tube fixed, I got CEL codes P0420/30. Which are catalytic inefficiency codes, meaning the Post-cat O2 sensors are picking up that the cats are not working right anymore. So I replaced the gaskets after the cats on my car. And what do ya know! The CEL hasn't come back on.

You do not have to remove the transmission or even lower it, but you will need to remove the passenger side catalytic converter as there's no room and not a suitable tool made to get at it the pipe fittings. When you do this, you'll probably break at least one exhaust stud on the manifold. I broke all three. Be prepared to drill them all and replace with bolts/nuts
NOW open up the file below.....
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress-egr.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
EGR-tube.doc (28.0 KB, 514 views)

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-30-10 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-30-10, 08:49 AM
artesia
Driver School Candidate

Default 95 ls 400 starter

thank you for the word doc, you mentioned to see some pictures on the attached doc ! what pictures? is your 95 ls 400 different than mine??
I took off already the 4 bolts that attach the water by pass bridge and lost lot of coolant ! I thing it will be smarter if I drained the cooling from underneath the radiator to avoir air bubbles into the system .

I already took off the top EGR pipe, all what I have now is the lowwe egr tube attached from the top and the bottom to the exhaust ! I still didn't understand you technique ! of sending a socket from the top of the engine to the bottom? from under the hood its not possible to see the 2 nuts that bolt the egr pipe to the exhaust,

Last edited by artesia; 10-30-10 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 LS400 Starter dead....DIY replacement in progress