LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 on DF210/KYB GR-2 before and after...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 09:06 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LS400 on DF210/KYB GR-2 before and after...

Being it was time for new dampers (154K on originals, I assume), I went ahead and ordered the DF210 springs with the KYB GR-2 shocks/struts. It is also worthy to note that I ordered new rubber spring insulators (seats), which I highly recommend as during the installation, upon disassembling the damper unit, several of them disintegrated in my hands.

Here are before and after shots...almost exactly one month time lapse including alignment. I took copious notes and created a spreadsheet to track how much lowering took place, and how much settling would occur. Also, I wanted to put to bed the idea that many of us have that the left and right side of the car should be absolutely level...I found out empirically, that this is an ideal that doesn't exist even with stock suspension (at least in my case) and that lowering on non-adjustable springs/dampers actually decreased the difference from left to right, making it more level.

Before:

After:

The overall drop in the was:
front 1.42
rear 1.56
(I measured from the ground to the top-most edge of the metal fender, not the plastic fender liner.)

Now, these are not the exact specs that Tanabe labels these particular springs, however, this is only after a month, and although it doesn't look like it will settle close to the 1.8f/1.5r as the website states, it works well for me. I don't scrape on anything, but it looks dramatic enough for the general public to notice.

The difference from left to right before lowering was:
front - 2mm higher on the right side
rear - 8mm higher on the right side

After lowering, it actually leveled out more:
front - 0mm (no difference between left and right)
rear - 5mm higher on the right (bettered stock by 3mm)

The upgrade of springs/dampers/insulators actually equaled L/R out more that it was at stock. To be clear, the shocks I had on the car, which I believed to have NEVER been changed, were very far gone...boaty-Cadillac-style feel. Even to the point of wearing my tires in such a way that has created an odd wear pattern that alignment and rotation cannot correct required new tires within the next year...and the tires are less than two years old. (lesson: change shocks more frequently than 154K intervals)

Review:
To make this long post even longer, I wanted to give my subjective opinion on the ride quality of this upgrade. This is a very difficult concept to put into words, but for the benefit of those who are currently deciding on which suspension to choose, here is my attempt. Also, consider my previous vehicle was a 1993 Honda Prelude Vtec lowered on Ground Control slip-on coilover sleeves and Tokiko Illumina adj. dampers and my first and only experience of a Lexus ride was based solely on completely worn-out dampers.

The biggest difference I noticed was that the cornering/breaking/acceleration was much more crisp and confidence inspiring. No 2500lb club racer, mind you, but made the largeness of the LS more easy to control. This was an immediate plus.

Another positive was the floaty feeling that was previously present, is now eliminated. Again, more control and confidence.

Now, the moment you have all been waiting for. The negative.

Harshness. I define harshness as the general attitude the vehicle has under normal driving conditions over regular streets and freeway. This is the ONLY negative in lowering the LS this way. To be fair, again, I am comparing completely worn-out dampers to new springs/dampers/rubber. New LS's probably show more signs of ride harshness than MY car did at 154K. However, this is all I have to compare to.

Now, this is not a deal-breaker for me, but it certainly doesn't have the "Lexus ride" that people rave about, but it still rides quite comfortably. We have a PT Cruiser and my Mom has a Honda Pilot (both not known for there ride comfort, but not kidney-killers in the slightest) and the LS still rides better than these. And, it in no way resembles my Prelude, which actually gave me back pain. It is my daily, 40 min each way, commuter and, although I miss the silky smoothness of the stock ride, it is a worthwhile compromise for the look, control, and confidence.

To end, (yes, finally, I will end) anyone thinking of lowering your LS, consider the setup I used. I am happy with the end product and do recommend it to those who are looking for the same qualities for their LS. To those whom want it all (i.e. lay frame and maintain Lexus ride) it is not a reality. That being said, many on here praise the Tein CS ver.2 above all for the best of both worlds. I cannot comment on this setup as I have never ridden in an LS with the CS, but I believe those whom own it to be reliable in their descriptions.

I choose the DF210/KYB setup due to the urgency of the need (6-8 week wait time to get the CS from Japan) and the cost (less than $600 total for my ENTIRE cost, including shipping, alignment, and installation, which was free since I did myself, compared to $1200 w/o installation).

I am willing to share my Excel spreadsheet file, with all the formulas included if requested.

This is a small token given back to CL to show my appreciation for all of the excellent information I have received to help me purchase, maintain, and modify my LS. Kudos to ClubLexus.

Last edited by jermdogg; 05-27-07 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-26-07, 11:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

great review but u may want to note that when u say that the tanabe's wont drop your car as listed it is not entirely accurate. this is because ur shocks were toast which lowers the car a decent amount from the original factory setting,
Old 05-27-07, 07:51 AM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

thanks man for the review. i was really considering getting the Tein's but now i have a very good alternative and costs much less. but i am really wondering what springs are these and who makes them.
Old 05-27-07, 08:17 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up - Pure is right that worn out struts will make the car sag. Yours came out looking really good. I pondered the Tanabe's but chose the H&R. I think your post will help many folks.
Old 05-27-07, 11:55 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Pure, that is something I hadn't considered. You are probably right in that my "stock" ride hight wasn't really stock to begin with.

Thank you for the comments.
Old 05-27-07, 12:12 PM
Razor
Driver School Candidate

Nice write-up
Old 05-27-07, 12:12 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Here is another pic after:
Old 05-28-07, 12:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what il do is get the stock ride height from my dad's mint LS (stock ~65k mi. on it) and see how it compares to your lowered LS.

also, the springs WILL settle in a LOT more than you think.
Old 05-28-07, 01:52 AM
Celsior400
Driver

thats daaaaaaaaamn right... depending how much you drive... i'd say give it a month to let it all settle in.
Old 05-28-07, 09:51 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Great write-up! The stance on your car looks much better now
Old 05-29-07, 11:50 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Nice looking drop on that LS.....very tempting to do it on mine after some rims.
Old 05-29-07, 03:23 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

The springs settle out as t hey said. Mine settled about 1/2 more after a month. Now it is pretty settled and the alignment checks out fine. I like the stance of yours - the OEM wheels look great.
Old 05-30-07, 12:03 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the kind words, Steveski.

It has been over a month since the install, so I think it is pretty settled.

Have any of you ridden in a LS with net Tein CS? Just curious on your thoughts.
Old 05-30-07, 01:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Great Review, and nice LS
Old 05-30-07, 06:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I've never rode in a LS with the Tein setup however I have heard mixed results as to how they perform. Definitely Tein is a quality product but I am real happy with my set up since adjustablity is not a big deal for my car. I initially chose springs/struts because of cost. As it turns out, the Bilstein HD's are height adjustable slightly (Good for about 1/2 TO 1"). Come to think of it I have never rode in a car with Tanabe springs - bet it rides nice though.

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 on DF210/KYB GR-2 before and after...