LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why do you think your Lexus is one of the best cars made?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 12:02 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunnut
My brother was driving his 91 Saturn (over 180k on the clock) daily until a few months ago when his wife wrecked it. Bad accident but nobody was hurt.
180k isn't bad for a $12k car new. Even was on it's original clutch.

JimA
Mechanically they are solid but Im just talkin about the plastic body panels that crack and fall off. I was leanin on my buddys sl wagon and cracked his fender. (im not fat). Its that cheap plastic thats not much better than the plastic used on old devilles.
Old 03-07-07, 06:58 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GM is crap, always have been and always will be.
Old 03-07-07, 07:10 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
Mechanically they are solid but Im just talkin about the plastic body panels that crack and fall off. I was leanin on my buddys sl wagon and cracked his fender. (im not fat). Its that cheap plastic thats not much better than the plastic used on old devilles.
GM has been researching to make body parts out of corn husks (interwoven with each other)...and how to make gas out of the ethanol.

The latter didn't interest me, but the corn husks? I just hope the car doesn't smell like popcorn in this hot California sun...
Old 03-07-07, 10:17 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my LS in late September. The newbie thing hasn't worn off yet. It's the best car I've ever had and I won't be driving anything else other than an LS.
Old 03-07-07, 12:42 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
Is it that obvious?

I'll tell you what. It's hard to feel like a loser when you're driving a Lexus.

I think I got a pretty good deal.

153,000 miles. 4 brand new tires, timing belt changed at 140K, interior looks 5 years old, not 16, in fact, the back seats look like they've never been sat in, car runs perfectly, smooth with great power, classic pearl white, exterior in excellent shape, paint still has a gloss and everything works flawlessly.

Only drawback is I need a new power steering pump. So, $4,300 for car, $530 for pump installed, $90 for alignment, $50 for p/s fluid flush and $30 for oil change = $5,000.

I never knew too much about Lexus's. Never been in one before, never drove one. After getting a very used Lexus and experiencing it, I feel like I discovered a gem that most of the world doesn't know about. What a car.

P.S. When does this newbie excitement wear off??
One other point. You're raving about a car that's 17 years old. How many other cars that are that old that people can praise? Certainly not Mercedes and BMW. I've owned both of them previously and there's no comparision to the LS.

Looking at the polls I've seen here and on other forums, most people are driving the gen 1 and gen 2 LS's. That tells a lot about the car's quality right there.

I got my 96 with only 37,600 miles on it. I enjoy driving it so much, that I've run it up to 50K miles in about four months finding excuses to drive! I see myself driving this car for the next 8 to 10 years or so. There's no question about it--the best production car ever built.
Old 03-07-07, 06:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One time a Toyota dealer down here about 4 years ago, a doctor here had a 91 LS400 that he imported new, despite the fact that Lexus is not here and Toyota only opened its doors in early 2002, he managed to keep it going often times with custom made parts on the few occasions he needed parts unless he was able to get them from the U.S. He still told me, best car I ever owned. I say much the same for my RX300, even though it is far away from its brothers and sisters.
Old 03-08-07, 09:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
Want to know something funny Omar? I know a gir lwho was parked at her church one night this week and some old lady barely tapped the front fender of her SL1 sedan with her Buick Park Avenue and literally demolished the fender. I mean it shattered. If she wrecks she is about as safe as a pancake with a fat kid.

As for the Buick...a minor scratch the buffed out with a finger.
Old 03-10-07, 11:04 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

It's one of very few cars that you drive and it makes you almost shed a tear coz of it's smoothness regardless of it's age. I have been letting my buddies drive mine for VERY short distances and they say their cars feel like crap after that.
I now leave for work 10-20 minutes early and drive slow just so that I can have more time to bond with it.
"Lexus LS, can make a grown a** man cry!!"
Old 03-11-07, 05:11 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I like how smooth, quiet, yet powerful it is.

Is it just me or does it always feel like you're driving on a brand new road?
Old 03-11-07, 05:54 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I like how smooth, quiet, yet powerful it is.

Is it just me or does it always feel like you're driving on a brand new road?

I had my car out of the highway yesterday and hit 90 mph on some stretches as I was in a hurry. At that speed, I felt no vibration, just confident solid handling. You can go 90-100 mph and feel like you're going 50.

Damn, this is a great automobile and mine is an 11 year old car mind you. I've driven the new 460 and to be frank, I don't feel it's that much different. Sure, the 460 is faster and has more luxurious appointments, but I feel I still have an excellent vehicle. The car is so good to begin with, that any improvements are really just incremental.

I just don't feel that there's any other car that can compare.
Old 04-01-07, 11:27 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

2 months of owning a 1991 Lexus LS400 and I haven't lost the incredible feeling I get when driving it. I added clear bumper lenses, now I need new car mats ($105 on ebay) and a cd player.

I LOVE THIS CAR!
Old 04-02-07, 02:52 AM
Staticam
Driver School Candidate

As already said, the stats speak for themselves, quality and customer satisfaction #1

However there are many other cars that:
are better looking
handle better
have greater status
are better appointed
are faster
cost less
cost more
probably not quieter
etc etc etc.

The LS was built to be the best in the luxury car segment, it sure as hell got the others of their laurels. Did it achieve being voted as the best car in the world?

Still, have my share of the best cars ever made.
In one case; comfort, dependability and quality, in the other; style, tradition and charisma. Both are brilliant value for money and I enjoy them heaps.
Old 04-02-07, 04:02 AM
Losiho
Driver

Can you guys come up with reasons your Lexus is the one of the best ever made?
Simple - 1UZFE. One of the world's greatest engines. It still impressses me every time I drive it.
Old 04-02-07, 10:09 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great point bro -1UZFE is reliable and bulletproof. I have a 350z and I drive my LS more.
Old 04-02-07, 05:52 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Gunnut
My brother was driving his 91 Saturn (over 180k on the clock) daily until a few months ago when his wife wrecked it. Bad accident but nobody was hurt.
180k isn't bad for a $12k car new. Even was on it's original clutch.

JimA
My first car was a 77 Toyota Celica GT with 330K on it when it was slammed by a drunk driver, would easily hit 400K.

When an American car gets in high mileage territory its exception rather than the rule, it was mechanic-owned or it was built on a Wednesday.

Ive seen 10 times more 200K+ Toyotas and Hondas than the American crap
My $0.02

Quick Reply: Why do you think your Lexus is one of the best cars made?