LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The First Gen Power Steering Bible

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 10:34 PM
moat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default omega # 31023 hi pressure power steering hose

Is it ok to use this hi pressure power steering hose by OMEGA # 31023, it's only $60 vs OEM $400

sold at amazon.com and ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Hose-M...item256ab9ec1c

http://www.amazon.com/Corteco-31023-...7559650&sr=8-1
Old 01-30-12, 09:49 PM
jknguyen80
Driver School Candidate

ok so heres my problem with mine. i have a 96 ls400. when i start my car up in morning and drive the ps is perfect. no noises or anything and its smooth to turn wheel. after a lil bit i get the whine noise from the ps pump and its hard to turn the wheel. also there is the clicking noise. im not leakin any fluid and no white smoke or anything during start up. so is my problem maybe dirty screens and a i need a new rack and pinion. or do is need clean my solienoid, replace rack and pinion and ps pump? thanks for help.
Old 02-01-12, 07:24 AM
Thrifty917
Driver School Candidate

Hello.
I just bought my first Lexus the other day, its a 1993 LS400. And surprise surprise, it has power steering issues. I've been reading through this forum (and WOW what a wealth of information, thank you all so much for devoting your expertise to help others) and I suspect that it is the ICV/ACV. The car smokes like crazy upon starting it and the fluid needs to be replaced every day.

Towards the beginning of this post there is supposed to be a picture of the valve, but the picture isn't working. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of it so I can see what it looks like. Thanks in advance.

Also, if I plug up the valve and the fluid is still leaking, what do you think the next most logical thing to check is? I'm going to go look under the car this morning and see if I can see where it is leaking from. Is there one part of the PS system that tends to break more often than the other parts? Thanks!
Old 02-01-12, 09:37 AM
moat
Driver

there are two little vacuum tubes going to that ACV (a.k.a. idle up valve). You can see where the two tubes go from above. The ACV attaches to the bottom of the PS pump. When you are under the car you will be able to see the ACV.

I am about to the deal with similar issues (possible ps pump leak, or o-ring leak, or tubes leaking). Please keep posting here.

If you have other leaks, the OEM parts (PS pump, hi pressure line, return hose, rack, etc.) are expensive. I am very interested to find out if it's ok to use aftermarket parts (e.g. hi pressure line, return hose, ps pump)

I won't be dealing with this for another three weeks. Meanwhile, good luck to you.
Old 02-01-12, 07:23 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moat
The OEM power steering hi pressure hose and return hose are both very expensive ($380+ and $130+).

I see aftermarket hi pressure hose go for $70 at napa auto, autozone, oreilly, etc. The return hose is around $15. Is it ok to use these aftermarket tubes?

Also, the OEM power steering pump is $500+, which aftermarket PS pump has a good reputation here on CL?
Sure, it's a hose; why not? As long as the fit is okay, the aftermarket hose will be fine. It may not last as long as the OEM hose, but it will probably outlast your ownership of the car. As for aftermarket pumps, I don't think you will find a new aftermarket pump. You will find rebuilt OEM pumps in various brands. Those are generally okay, but you can't be absolutely assured that you will no get a bad one. Get one that offers a LLT warranty just in case. There are some services out there where you can send in your pump and have it rebuilt, which may be a better choice that exchanging for one of unknown pedigree. The pumps are reasonably straightforward to rebuilt yourself if you buy a seal kit and follow the online tutorial.
Old 02-01-12, 07:54 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I cannot seem to figure out from this thread if this power steering fluid leaking problem extends to models as late as 1996 or had they solved it by then? - mine does not appear to be leaking yet at 115K, but should I be concerned about it soon?
Old 02-01-12, 11:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I cannot seem to figure out from this thread if this power steering fluid leaking problem extends to models as late as 1996 or had they solved it by then? - mine does not appear to be leaking yet at 115K, but should I be concerned about it soon?
the later models had some issues, but it's not worth fixing until it happens.

FWIW i had to replace my high pressure line way back when i had my old '95. it was spraying PS fluid right onto the cats causing some delightful smoke.

no pump issues though.
Old 02-01-12, 11:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Also, if you guys can take the time you can save yourselves a fairly large amount of money by taking your leaky high pressure hose to any local Hydraulic/aviation hose shop and getting them to repair it. Shouldn't cost more than $50-80 to have it repaired.
Old 02-02-12, 06:26 PM
Thrifty917
Driver School Candidate

Well I fixed the ACV/ICV issue and its no longer smoking, but still leaking.
Old 02-13-12, 09:24 PM
sjlee
Driver School Candidate

Hey, new here and I got a question. I just recently picked up a '93 ls400. looks and drives great! When I bought it, it had no power steering. I haven't bother adding any ATF fluid in it either.

I'm at the point where I can't take driving it with no power steering anymore. It's near impossible to park in any parking lot. Steering wheel is extremely hard, a lot harder then a car that came with no power steering. It has never made any noise nor has it ever smoked under the engine bay area.

I'm just curious if it's safe to be driving it around with no fluid and no power steering. Can I cause any damage to the steering system itself? Or is it ok to be driving around like that if I can put up with it? lol.

And yes, I've read about 8 pages total in this thread and it hasn't answered my main question yet, as to why I'm asking it now.
Old 02-18-12, 08:39 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Wink Powah steerin'

Originally Posted by moat
Is it ok to use this hi pressure power steering hose by OMEGA # 31023, it's only $60 vs OEM $400

sold at amazon.com and ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Hose-M...item256ab9ec1c

http://www.amazon.com/Corteco-31023-...7559650&sr=8-1
Hey Moat.. Sorry I'm just now posting a reply... I really need to dedicate more time to reading my e-mails... I went to autopartwarehouse.com, I believe(if that's not correct then I'll check my receipts)... The hose I purchased did not specify if it was high pressure, just that it was OEM approved for the LS 400, that was good enough for me b/c it drives me nuts not being able to drive. It's been a few months and I have yet to have any p/s issues... She rides great, besides the ball joint I need to replace this weekend...

In regards to the person asking about driving a Lexus without any power steering fluid at all in it... Ummm, is your Lexus an old clunker not worth saving? A car you just bought cheap and are running it into the ground, junking it then moving on to another car? I'm not trying to be offensive, but as someone who enjoys owning things that run properly- from my guns and motorcycle to my boats and vehicles- I like them all to be tuned up and ready to go when I want to use them.... And I'm not rich or anything( just getting good at spotting good deals and making the right trades) ... But you should put some fluid in your car. Even if it leaks like a SOB, keep a gallon in the trunk and fill er up till you fix it... Your mechanic will thank you...
Old 02-18-12, 08:43 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

SJLEE... Put this in perspective- your diving 50 mph down the road and a deer, dog, cow, man or child runs into your path... Your reaction speed may be lightning quick, but your car won't be... It's dangerous... Hope your p/s problem works out for ya! ;-)
Old 02-18-12, 03:37 PM
ChrisG1000
Driver School Candidate

My PS was "whining/groaning" for some time. Also, my PS fluid was constantly getting low, but I could find no visible leaks. It eventually got to the point of having no power steering what-so-ever (as mentioned a few posts before this one). I read the original thread post, but didn't follow it in order.

I started with the Air Control Valve (ACV). When I disconnected the vacuum lines a whole bunch of fluid came draining out the valve. This indicated the valve was not working.
I plugged it, filled and bled the system, and the power steering worked perfectly.

Being as today is Saturday, I could not get a new ACV, but I did locate it from Lexus for $147.00. I plan on installing it next Wednesday, and will post here again, but that seems to be the only problem. I am currently driving the car with the old valve installed hoping to make it a few more days.

Anyway, it was a very simple repair which should take you under an hour even if you aren't mechanically inclined.

Side note: This valve looks identical to the ACV used in the Toyota pickups. Toyota would not confirm this for me, but if you could somehow cross-reference the parts, my money says you could buy the Toyota part and save your self some cash.
Old 03-08-12, 03:07 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question, I need to repair the acv or the hose. If it's the hoses that go to the air intake and the front of the engine by the Lexus symbol? And how it get in the exhaust?
Old 03-08-12, 03:28 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better understanding of how to fix the problem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=343856

Quick Reply: The First Gen Power Steering Bible