LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to get quicker steering in LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 10:44 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to get quicker steering in LS 400

There is a piece in the steering column that almost looks like a tape measure. I believe it controls how many turns from left to right it takes to turn the wheels. I am curious if anyone knows whether another part from maybe an IS, SC or GS would fit a 95 LS? I would like to improve the steering response by changing this piece and getting a smaller steering wheel from an SC or GS. Thanks for any feedabck or comments.
Old 10-07-06, 01:34 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparantly the 94 or later Supra rack goes straight in and it has a slightly higher ratio , so a bit quicker and a bit more feel , I will be getting one as soon as I sell my bike , I'm able to swop it back for a low milage Celsior rack if it doesn't fit .
Old 10-07-06, 01:37 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get coilovers i just installed mine and the car handles like its on rails, i have yet to find its limits but the car corners like a demon now instead of a boat

plus you get the sexy look of a lowered car
Old 10-07-06, 02:08 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brandicus
just get coilovers i just installed mine and the car handles like its on rails, i have yet to find its limits but the car corners like a demon now instead of a boat

plus you get the sexy look of a lowered car
I know what you mean about lowering the car - I have lowered it and have Bilstein suspension and other accessories. What I want to do is reduce the number of turns it takes to turn the front wheels from left to right.
Old 10-07-06, 10:19 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

^sorry i misread that
Old 10-07-06, 11:38 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

the "tape measure" you are talking about is probably the clockspring. i'm attaching a picture of my steering column with the steering wheel removed. it's used to allow the steering wheel to turn and keeps the wiring harness that goes to the horn assembly, cruise control lever, airbag (and phone controls if equipped with that option) from getting tangled and twisted while steering right/left.

i snapped mine after i replaced my steering rack. i didnt center the rack before installation, when i went for a test drive afterwards, the 2 1/2 turn limit was exceeded in the clockspring and i heard the spiral wire inside go crunch. didnt take me long to figure out why my horn and cruise control dont function anymore. also, my airbag light comes on intermittenly...

think about it, a different sized steering wheel wont make a difference in the # of turns to go from lock-to-lock. the only difference it will make is how far you will have to move your hands to complete the turn, which i guess you can relate to steering "feel"
Attached Thumbnails How to get quicker steering in LS 400-steering004a.jpg  
Old 10-09-06, 06:56 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by migirdech
the "tape measure" you are talking about is probably the clockspring. i'm attaching a picture of my steering column with the steering wheel removed. it's used to allow the steering wheel to turn and keeps the wiring harness that goes to the horn assembly, cruise control lever, airbag (and phone controls if equipped with that option) from getting tangled and twisted while steering right/left.

i snapped mine after i replaced my steering rack. i didnt center the rack before installation, when i went for a test drive afterwards, the 2 1/2 turn limit was exceeded in the clockspring and i heard the spiral wire inside go crunch. didnt take me long to figure out why my horn and cruise control dont function anymore. also, my airbag light comes on intermittenly...

think about it, a different sized steering wheel wont make a difference in the # of turns to go from lock-to-lock. the only difference it will make is how far you will have to move your hands to complete the turn, which i guess you can relate to steering "feel"

Thanks for the info and especially the photo. That clockspring is what I saw at my repair shop. I guess it does not control now many turns it takes to go from left to right. I will call my repair guy to see what options there are if any. One reason I want a new wheel is the stock LS wheel is so large it hits my knees and feels like the wheel of a sail boat
Old 10-11-06, 11:23 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Well are the steering ratios the same on every LS. Maybe there are some options in terms of different year LS racks.
Old 10-11-06, 12:53 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know 1 way to get faster steering but it is dangerous at high speeds thats why there is PPS on these cars. Drill out PPS solenoid and you will have fast steering!
Old 10-11-06, 05:15 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Drilling out the PPS solenoid won't give you faster steering , that will only give you lighter steering , the speed of the steering wheel to movement is set by the gearing in the rack , so to increase that you need a rack with different gearing .
IE: A Supra rack .
Old 10-12-06, 10:21 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richonenz
Drilling out the PPS solenoid won't give you faster steering , that will only give you lighter steering , the speed of the steering wheel to movement is set by the gearing in the rack , so to increase that you need a rack with different gearing .
IE: A Supra rack .
Thanks - I can check into whether it will fit or not unless you know of someone who did it. I have a 95.