LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2 gen Headlight Retro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 01:52 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I have looked into the custom clear lense and got no were, also the inside of stock would have to be completely reworked and then you will need a projector...The jetta is the best answer , believe me I have been measuring lamps for over two years.
what did you use for a headlight on the front of your car? i know you have the jetta inards but what about the lens? is that a jetta lense as well? also where are you located? id be happy to stop by (i have a first gen ls) i also have the one peice headlights so it should be easier to tinker with. if your not local i can send you my original headlights (no fogs, sold those off). what about a q45 retrofit? those headlights look to be roughly the same size..
Old 09-25-06, 02:04 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandicus
what did you use for a headlight on the front of your car? i know you have the jetta inards but what about the lens? is that a jetta lense as well? also where are you located? id be happy to stop by (i have a first gen ls) i also have the one peice headlights so it should be easier to tinker with. if your not local i can send you my original headlights (no fogs, sold those off). what about a q45 retrofit? those headlights look to be roughly the same size..
LexKost, can you tell me more about your search for clear lenses? I REALLY want to do a retrofit for my first gen.. I didn't realize the innards would have to be completely changed, I thought that if you somehow got a projector in there, the reflectors etc inside wouldn't really matter. Where did you look into?

Too bad you live in SoCal, otherwise I'd show up tomorrow If I get the one-piece headlights from absolut, I can send you mine as well.
Old 09-25-06, 04:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

mike's located up in Simi Valley i believe.

mike-
any ballpark estimates for the conversion?(minus any HID components)
Old 09-25-06, 04:31 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I found these while doing some research and shopping for hard to find parts for my first gen. This is roughly what the clear lens would look like for our cars....

The headlights for the first gen are on the top left side of the picture with the number 10 under them. Thought about getting these for my own secret mod but thought they would look too wierd. Lexkost, your progress looks good. Keep us updated. I would visit your garage but you're all the way on the other side of the country, LOL!!!!

Last edited by trukn1; 09-25-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 06:31 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trukn1
I found these while doing some research and shopping for hard to find parts for my first gen. This is roughly what the clear lens would look like for our cars....

The headlights for the first gen are on the top left side of the picture with the number 10 under them. Thought about getting these for my own secret mod but thought they would look too wierd. Lexkost, your progress looks good. Keep us updated. I would visit your garage but you're all the way on the other side of the country, LOL!!!!

Where did you find those headlights? They don't look to be specifically made for our first gens. What car are they for?
Old 09-25-06, 06:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Suneet
Where did you find those headlights? They don't look to be specifically made for our first gens. What car are they for?
theres a japanese company which does(did?) clear headlight conversions for the UCF10/11 called HillTop but the damn things cost ~$1000-1100 and u still had the crappy reflector optics.
Old 09-25-06, 07:22 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i wish i was better at photoshop, so i could see what they would look like on my car. Anybody got some spare time to do it?
Old 09-25-06, 08:06 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Having just put in my one piece headlights, I can say for certain that the ones on the top left are for the first gen LS. Had a friend go thru the site with me to translate some things, this is how I know. Second gen LS looks like these, look carefully at the headlights in Lexkost sig line and look carefully at these lights for the second gen. Note the small slit on the side for the fog that Lexkost has lit in his sig.
Old 09-25-06, 11:11 PM
psls400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1 Head Lamp Possibilities

These Mercedes Benz lamps off the C and S class may fit the gen1.
Attached Thumbnails 2 gen Headlight Retro-mb-lamp.jpg  
Old 09-25-06, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

shape and i believe size is off.
Old 09-25-06, 11:51 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

will someone with some ps skills show this off? if i like it ill totally rock it..

it may cost 1000 to get the glass sanded down by that company right, but im thinking if you just got a company to custom mold some plastic it would be MUCH cheaper and youll achieve the same look... any thoughts?
Old 09-26-06, 01:05 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I am very much down to buy those headlights. I'll retrofit a projector into them.So what if it sticks out the back? I have eletrical tape
Old 09-26-06, 01:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

will someone with some ps skills show this off? if i like it ill totally rock it..

it may cost 1000 to get the glass sanded down by that company right, but im thinking if you just got a company to custom mold some plastic it would be MUCH cheaper and youll achieve the same look... any thoughts?
hilltop doesnt grind the glass, they tooled up and can make the plastic cover (they have a set of custom dies).

besides, once u clear the covers ur still stuck with the crappy interior optics since the reflectors werent made to be used w/o the light diffusers. so ud basically HAVE to retro projectors onto it for any decent light output/quality.
Old 09-26-06, 05:30 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
so ud basically HAVE to retro projectors onto it for any decent light output/quality.
agreed, the optics show thier age

so they only replace the glass with plastic? thats ridiculously overpriced.. im going to search around and see if i can get someone to do it cheaper in the states

or you could just modify an existing headlight like lexkost did
Old 09-26-06, 11:53 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=PureDrifter;2145690]hilltop doesnt grind the glass, they tooled up and can make the plastic cover (they have a set of custom dies).

Wrong!!!!!!! Hilltop DOES grind the glass, that is actually one of the complaints from the few people who own the hilltop cleared lenses is that they have minimal scratches and swirlling left from the grinding process.

Quick Reply: 2 gen Headlight Retro