LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Park Place Lexus in Plano !! Furious!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 09:29 PM
hookem59
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Park Place Lexus in Plano !! Furious!!

I'm not super happy with my recent expeiences with Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX. First, after paying A LOT of money to have the Timing Belt + Water Pump changed, I see they did NOT change the cam or crank seals or change any of the tensioners. So if I want those chaged, I have to pay some other guy probably $500 in labor to change a few $8 parts (for the seals). I'll probably never have the timing belt changed again, so basically I'm stuck with the already 10 year old seals until I eventually get rid of the car in maybe 6-7 more years. In my opinion, this was a truly unacceptable, half-assed, **** POOR job!! GRRRRR!!!!!!

Then the kicker is that I also had them change my brake fluid and asked them to tell me how much brake pad I had remaining. When I picked my car up, they told me less than 1mm in the front (basically nothing remaining) and 3mm in the rear (not much ramaining). I have this in writting on company paper. Of course I immediately buy the OEM brake pads at the parts deptartment that they've told me I needed (I don't think they were counting on me installing the pads myself). So when I get home, about to change my front pads, I take the wheel off to see I EASILY have 4-5mm (40%-50%) on the front. So now I AM FURIOUS!! My car didn't need new pads at all!!! I can only figure that this is; at best, the WORST SERVICE I've EVER HAD by ANY shop in my life, and at worst, could be criminal. Anyway, I just wanted to warn people about Park Place Lexus in Plano. You may have great experinces with them, but I certainly did not, and WILL NEVER STEP FOOT AT THAT PLACE AGAIN!!!!!!

Has anyone else had such a bad experience with a real Lexus dealer? I decided I was willing to pay the extra money to go to a real dealer because I wanted this one thing DONE RIGHT! How big of a deal is it that my cam/crank seals were not changed? Should I pay another mechanic to do the job right?
Old 08-24-06, 10:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

In most cases, the service rep will tell you what is recommended at this interval. Yes, the seals and such are usually part of the timing belt service since you are in there, as well as the idlers/pulleys, water pump...blah-blah. So many want to save a few $$ so the dealers just perform the requested service without advising you.

Call back and speak to the service manager about your situation and go from there.
Old 08-24-06, 10:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

im pretty sure that there have been other people in the midwest forums that have gotten screwed over by Park Place Lexus. search for it.
Old 08-24-06, 11:02 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

www.DAVENPORTMOTORCO.com

Take your car to Davenport. They are the highest quality OEM Lexus shop I've ever seen here in Texas. They ONLY service Lexus vehicles since it is their specialty. My entire family takes our lexus's to Davenport and we've been doing so for many years. Here is why:

They are ALWAYS cheaper than the Dealership (aka "stealership")
They have some of the best Mechanics
They ARE HONEST ALL THE TIME
They DO THE JOB RIGHT ALL THE TIME

Jimmy at Davenport's Plano location always takes care of me and is very knowledgeable. You can tell him I recommended you.
Old 08-25-06, 05:16 AM
hookem59
Rookie

Believe me, I've learned my lesson! I will take my car to Davenport when I'm in Dallas and The Lexus Doc (aka "The Dealer Alternative") on Mccullough when I am in San Antonio from now on!
Old 08-25-06, 06:02 AM
hookem59
Rookie

So I'm still wondering about my seals and tensioners,etc. Do these NEED to be replaced or am I probably fine?
Old 08-25-06, 06:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you keep the oil changed at regular intervals, the seals should be fine till the next scheduled timing belt change. The tensioners have sealed bearings and also should last till the next belt change.

They should have called you and offered you an option on the additional parts
Old 08-25-06, 06:44 AM
Alan D
Driver

Why not try Sewell Lexus. They have a great reputation. Definitely not the cheapest though.
Old 08-25-06, 07:32 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hookem,

Not to excuse PPlace but If you did your timing belt at 90,000 miles then your tensioners should be fine.
Old 08-25-06, 08:32 AM
hookem59
Rookie

I did it at 107k. It is a 1996 car.
Old 08-26-06, 06:25 PM
Gary Early
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dejacky
www.DAVENPORTMOTORCO.com

Take your car to Davenport. They are the highest quality OEM Lexus shop I've ever seen here in Texas. They ONLY service Lexus vehicles since it is their specialty. My entire family takes our lexus's to Davenport and we've been doing so for many years. Here is why:

They are ALWAYS cheaper than the Dealership (aka "stealership")
They have some of the best Mechanics
They ARE HONEST ALL THE TIME
They DO THE JOB RIGHT ALL THE TIME

Jimmy at Davenport's Plano location always takes care of me and is very knowledgeable. You can tell him I recommended you.
Definitely switch your service to Davenport. I have had my 93 LS serviced by them for over ten years, and they are first rate. You can stand right there and watch them do the work if you want--in fact they encourage you to come in the shop floor if you want. They are a family-run business, and I have never ever felt that they were not honest in their dealings. Likewise, you can tell them that I recommended you too.
Old 09-18-06, 07:19 PM
Loiosh
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear about your service at PPL. I just purchased my new baby there (my family's been loyal to PPL for nine years) and recently had a few things (dents) fixed on it. In case you ever go back, I suggest Cavan as your tech. He's a legitmately nice guy.

If not, good luck at Davenport. I may check them out myself when I go to get my Alpine stuff installed.